Icelandic Volcanic Eruption - Significant Disruption to UK Flights

Soldato
I'm hoping its all good for tomorrow but I will have to wait and see :(

All good for tomorrow? Even if the volcano stopped erupting right now, there'll still be nothing flying over northern Europe for the next few days and there's no sign that the volcano's about to stop.

Associate
my flight from jfk to blighty at 11pm tonight got cancelled at 7am (noon gmt)
Couldnt book anything for friday, but could do for saturday morning - though it came with no gurantee.

I'm waiting till next week now. Can't imagine how bad the rush will be when they open up uk airspace.

Soldato
From the estimations on the BBC this problem is going to be around for well into the weekend. Disruption is only going to spread by the looks of it.

Soldato
Copied from UKww

spacer.gif
nav-messages-new.gif
Posted 15/4/2010 18:42 (#534277 - in reply to #528543)
Subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS Iceland Volcano Erupts; UK airspace closed

Can i say, for the people saying they cannot see the ash, it is unlikely that we will see it from here with our own eyes as it is at very high altitude and of a low concentration. Even on the maps displayed they only show the "main" plume, but there WILL be ash already in most of our immediate atmosphere overhead in low concentration. The Jet stream travels at about 200mph, which means even yesterday daytime there would have been ash present over most of the UK.

The reason they have shut airspace is that even at very low concentrations, ash "could" cause engines to stall. Perhaps over-cautious, but if your loved one was on a flight that crashed because of the ash.... you'd be the first to ask "why didn't they ground the flights?"
-----
---------------

Associate
Only flight in the air in UK airspace at the moment seems to be the Met police heli hovering over Cherwell Valley Services on the M40 which burnt down today.

Soldato
Just watched a small Cessna type plane fly over my place of work in Aylesbury. I thought UK airspace was shut expect for Search & Rescue flights?

Back
Top Bottom