Icelandic Volcanic Eruption - Significant Disruption to UK Flights

sunrise sunset

who is going to watch them today?

surely one of them won't be affected

I see it is starting to cloud up in London no wait that is ASH UP!

This is certainly one of the more unexpected headlines of this year! When I read the headline on BBC I was stunned :o
Of course I came here to see if it was actually true :D

Indeed, I saw it on the news this morning and wondered what the hell had happened, all they mentioned was volcanic ash this, volcanic ash that, made no mention of anything about Iceland. Good old BBC.

Also another prediction of the cloud

parameter

Wonder if Ashes to Ashes will be cancelled tomorrow out of respect?!

Why? no one has died...:p

Except the two tourists who died of exposure trying to get to the volcano and running out of petrol...

not rocket science i know, but if the ash is at 55,000ft why can we not just fly lower at say 15,000 - 20,000 feet?

Economy for one. Aircraft are designed to fly at certain altitudes, fly lower and you have a massive increase in fuel bills for one.

well 50 or so years ago if something like that happened the rest of the world didn't know about it till sometime later now 90% of the worlds populations knows about it within minutes- to a day of it happing

I wouldn't say its happing more.

You can almost guarantee that when the end of the world comes via a natural disaster we'll all be on here discussing how exciting it is and sharing a few gags. :D

I was on the night shift last night at NATS Prestwick and watched the shutdown of UK airspace as it happened. Very bizarre, especially watching the various Sectors shift traffic further and further south before closing. By about 4am I was the only person working any air traffic in the North of the UK and didn't have a single other aircraft within 250nm of the P3 I was speaking to.

I can see it being an easy week or so at work!

Back
Top Bottom