Icelandic Volcanic Eruption - Significant Disruption to UK Flights

Soldato
Is there any estimates on how much this is costing us in terms of lost revenue from tourism etc.

Urm, tourism is a drain on the UK economy. People mostly leave the UK rather than come here. Reduced tourism is good for our trade deficit.

I was in Sainsburys Friday night, still lots of flowers from India, fresh herbs from Israel, blueberries from Chile... This stuff must have landed before Thursday. How long 'til the supermarkets run out of air freighted stuff?

Soldato
My brother's rebooked for next saturday now, everyone's pretty upset he can't go and see his girlfriend yet but not really anyone's fault, just hope it has cleared up in a week!

Man of Honour
Urm, tourism is a drain on the UK economy. People mostly leave the UK rather than come here. Reduced tourism is good for our trade deficit.

I was in Sainsburys Friday night, still lots of flowers from India, fresh herbs from Israel, blueberries from Chile... This stuff must have landed before Thursday. How long 'til the supermarkets run out of air freighted stuff?

You are being absolutely ridiculous!!

The UK is the 6th most popular holiday destination in the world. We welcome 30 million tourists a year! It is worth around £120 Billion a year or around 8% of GDP, employing over 1.3 Million people.....

Man of Honour
Supplies of the following are set to run out within a few days:

asparagus, grapes, green onions, lettuce and pre-packed fruit salads.

Britain's largest perishable goods air freight handling centre, at Heathrow, is at a standstill.

However, MOST of the UKs food imports arrive by sea, so it is only a few specifics that will be affected, eg some of the more exotic fruits, and some fresh flowers. Very little comes in by air.

We are also lucky that the UK has a such a large domestic pharmaceuticals industry..........

Soldato
i just some the second one doesnt let off its steam like they have said has happened in the past.
we are in quite a bad location really the uk, does the wind always blow south ?

Soldato
Cant get money back from easyjet for cancelled flight and car hire, cant ring them the phones are dead, website doesnt work, went to desk as airport told me to use another part of site. Done that and the form for refunds doesnt work, so im stuck with no way i can see of getting my money back!.

Permabanned
My better half and daughter are stuck out in Slovakia, fortunately they are at her parents so are enjoying a longer holiday now than they expected. They were supposed to be flying back tomorrow (Sunday).

I went on the Ryanair website earlier, and there was a link saying I could re-book their flights for free. The earliest flight I could switch them to was Sat 24th, so 6 days late - I'm glad they're not staying in an hotel! :o

Mind you, who's to say the Volcano will stop erupting any time soon, it could continue or get worse couldn't it.

Interestingly, my car had volcanic ash all over it this morning, as did almost every car that was parked at Tescos in Swindon. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom