Icelandic Volcanic Eruption - Significant Disruption to UK Flights

I heard the warm winds will keep the ash cloud in place for at least 4-5 days. Also the volcano is still erupting and blowing our direction still

I've seen atmospheric models the suggest the jet stream won't budge until middle of this week...

The main problem is the upper atmospheric winds, once these shift in another direction than the ash cloud may move over the Arctic instead - then flights may resume. The eruptions don't seem to be abating.

For us in the UK I've noticed the particles from the ash cloud are riding down the North Sea coast (upper winds again) and then turning inland towards the SE corner...

Beautiful sunset photo I took on Wednesday evening...(I'm not a proper photographer)

DSC00243.jpg

Live feed ;-)

http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-thorolfsfelli/

Last edited:
what i find strange is all week its been blue blue sky in chester and also in chepstow, my brother has been to birmingham too and its blue sky there, were is this cloud ?
it did cross my mind as a coverup for something else ! tinfoil hats !!

what i find strange is all week its been blue blue sky in chester and also in chepstow, my brother has been to birmingham too and its blue sky there, were is this cloud ?

:MASSIVEfacepalm:

It boggles me how so many people were expecting a thick black cloud of ash & smoke or something of the sort to engulf the UK. It's not visible to the naked eye for many people, but the dust and ash in the air are numerous & fine enough to cause serious problems for jet engines.

It's not a massive black cloud all over the place, it's ash particles. We've already discussed this in this thread, if we started seeing actual clouds around then we really would be in deep **** (substantial ash falls could cause absolute chaos).

Electronic Dave, that image is likely to be just normal cloud, not ash cloud (just in case you thought it would be). :)

It's not a massive black cloud all over the place, it's ash particles. We've already discussed this in this thread, if we started seeing actual clouds around then we really would be in deep **** (substantial ash falls could cause absolute chaos).

Not only that, it would block out the sun for quite a period of time.

No bacofoil hats needed...:D

The actual 'physical' cloud you expect to see is streaming out from Iceland and can be seen on some satellite images. It doesn't actually visually reach here (hence the clear skies).

Its the ash, dust and sand particles from this cloud that do reach us and are nearly invisible as they are very tiny (but numerous) hence you won't see anything.

The only clue is the unique sunsets / horizon haze which are affected by the particles

Cool, I read your post as suggesting that cloud was the ash cloud. :)

Apologies for not being clear enough - my post could be misinterpreted :)

I'm still wondering about Katla - will this possibly erupt due to the influence of Eyjafjallajokull? Past history says yes, but in this case I hope it doesn't :confused:

Its been a while since a notable large volcano erupted on a global scale.

I love Eyjafjallajokull... just looks like someone went Codaifkljkl on the keyboard.

Quiet skies!

Someone named it by face-roll. :D

I'm keeping the live cam running in a separate window now, it looks like it's going pretty constantly. Part of me wants to see it go up big-time, so all the icy/snowy bit gets blown into the air. :o ;)

Back
Top Bottom