Icelandic Volcanic Eruption - Significant Disruption to UK Flights

Soldato
If this other volcano erupts, are we basically screwed? Will we get a nuclear winter or a very cold winter in summer and then a cold winter?

Define screwed?

"When Katla went off in the 1700s, the USA suffered a very cold winter," says Gary Hufford, a scientist with the Alaska Region of the National Weather Service. "To the point, the Mississippi River froze just north of New Orleans and the East Coast, especially New England, had an extremely cold winter.

"Depending on a new eruption, Katla could cause some serious weather changes."
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...g-what-happens-if-the-iceland-volcano-blows/1

Like earthquakes, predicting the timing of volcanic eruptions is an imprecise science. An eruption at the Katla volcano could be disastrous, however — both for Iceland and other nations.

Iceland's Laki volcano erupted in 1783, freeing gases that turned into smog. The smog floated across the Jet Stream, changing weather patterns. Many died from gas poisoning in the British Isles. Crop production fell in western Europe. Famine spread. Some even linked the eruption, which helped fuel famine, to the French Revolution. Painters in the 18th century illustrated fiery sunsets in their works.

The winter of 1784 was also one of the longest and coldest on record in North America. New England reported a record stretch of below-zero temperatures and New Jersey reported record snow accumulation. The Mississippi River also reportedly froze in New Orleans.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35988484/

Soldato
Totally surreal at Aberdeen Airport. Total silence, nothing at all on radar. There was a light aircraft about half an hour ago to the south and I was willing him to contact me so that i would have something to do, lol.

Soldato
Jesus man, her mother is up to go with her to ireland for the weekend, now im stuck with her! No flights tonight easy jet one at 7.30 just cancelled aswell :(

Back
Top Bottom