Icelandic Volcanic Eruption - Significant Disruption to UK Flights

Man of Honour
Yesterday’s view of the smoke:

volcano3.jpg

Associate
My parents are on a flight due to land at 1600 today at heathrow. The heathrow website says it has been diverted - how do I find out more details? Like where it is, when they will be home etc...

Associate
Possibly land somewhere in Ireland (ROI) or France?

Hmmm, it's a flight from Malaysia so coming in from the east. It was only listed as 'Diverted' 3 hours before scheduled landing time so I guess they're somewhere in Europe?

It was slightly disconcerting to phone the Malaysian Airlines office for them to confirm the flight had been diverted but also to say that they couldn't say where to!

Soldato
http://www.flightradar24.com/

Look at that, the last few planes are now leaving UK airspace...looks pretty weird seeing nothing over the UK!

Very cool site.

I was out at work and listening to all the hoohah on the radio from about 6am. Lo and behold, just after noon I could only see one plane in the sky, and at high altitude.

Normally it's pretty busy, being on the approach to Luton. It was a very quiet morning.

Caporegime
We aren't due to fly until 9am tomorrow morning so hopefully things will be better by then.

Coming back Sunday could be a bit of whoha, what with flying from Krakow with al the world leaders due that day.

Soldato
Is that purely ash (someone said earlier it was possible to distinguish between the two?) in that Satellite loop or cloud too?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom