Icelandic Volcanic Eruption - Significant Disruption to UK Flights

Soldato
i love the way bbc news were making out like it was the end of the world this morning - god what a disgracful piece of broadcasting.

yeh it sucks people got delayed with flights but really its just an eurption - happens all the time.

Caporegime
Iheard about the eruption of Eyjafjallajokull the other day and the warnings of a subsequent bigger eruption. Although ts caused chsos t's definately an exciting event. Watch out for some very vivid sunsets around for the next few days/weeks! :D

Associate
Well, I'm relieved this didn't happen a few weeks ago on my visit to Iceland. Here's a photo of it resting between the two ice caps:

volcano.jpg

If this is the level of disruption to air travel with a small eruption, I fear what Katla will cause if it goes off. Limited to no air travel for several months could be a result, airlines going bust?

Soldato
If this is the level of disruption to air travel with a small eruption, I fear what Katla will cause if it goes off. Limited to no air travel for several months could be a result, airlines going bust?

great picture!

Would be pretty devestating if it leads to Katla erupting, causing delays for a few days from something like this, As you said, Katla will make it go on for Months. Devestating! but still amazing. wish i could get over to Iceland and see some of this!

Soldato
If Katla goes off in a big way, it could be the biggest natural disaster to hit Europe in decades, maybe more. Not only will it disrupt transport but the colder summer would seriously affect Europe's crops.

Man of Honour
Although I'd be very happy If it was the other way around, say I'd just spent two weeks in florida and was due to fly back this week. The insurance would be paying for an extended stay :D

Damn! I knew there was a reason I should have booked my holiday a week later. Still, think I'd rather be home than have that to worry about (they may cover the hotel, but what about all the other expenses, lost income, and so forth).

Lol, it's never happened like this before tbh.

And that's because...

No because the last time it happened aeroplanes hadn't been invented.

The last time Eyjafjallajokull erupted, the Wright Brothers hadn't done their 'thing' yet.

Would be pretty devestating if it leads to Katla erupting, causing delays for a few days from something like this, As you said, Katla will make it go on for Months. Devestating! but still amazing. wish i could get over to Iceland and see some of this!

If Katla goes off in a big way, it could be the biggest natural disaster to hit Europe in decades, maybe more. Not only will it disrupt transport but the colder summer would seriously affect Europe's crops.

It's not looking good given past history. While history is no guarantee, with all three recorded prior eruptions of Eyjafjallajokull being followed by eruptions of Katla, its odds on that it will happen.

Associate
People have been saying that the dust is corrosive and such. so if it falls to earth (if that is possible I dont know im not an expert) could this have effects on car paint and such

The ash could fall as far as UK if the particles are thick enough and jet stream currents are in place. You would need reasonable winds though for it to strip car paint, effectively sand blasting.

On the outer perimeter ring road around Iceland you get dust clouds which are whipped about by the 80-90mph winds which can do some serious damage to your vehicle.

Last edited:
Soldato
i love the way bbc news were making out like it was the end of the world this morning - god what a disgracful piece of broadcasting.

yeh it sucks people got delayed with flights but really its just an eurption - happens all the time.
This might be a precursor to Katla erupting. Not the end of the world. But it could cause widespread problems globally. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katla

Its not just about flights getting cancelled. There are potentially wider implications.

Back
Top Bottom