Icelandic Volcanic Eruption - Significant Disruption to UK Flights

Soldato
Its very much like a slow and amazing conveyor belt of rock ( crust ).

New crust is formed along the cracks as magma oozes out and cools. The crust slowly moves due to convection currents in the magma below and as the above poster said, the old crust is pushed down at the other end under another plate and is melted and the whole cycle begins again.

This is why its literally impossible for the existance of man to "destroy the planet" :p long after we are gone the earth will happily melt all we have left behind and the whole process of life can start again with a fresh slate! ( well not quite but you get the idea )

Soldato
I think it was a fair question. I cannot remember much about a lot of topics in school since I simply was not interested (This isn't included btw!)

Better to ask if you are not sure than remain ignorant the rest of your life!

Permabanned
59tsif.jpg

:D

Caporegime
I think it was a fair question. I cannot remember much about a lot of topics in school since I simply was not interested (This isn't included btw!)

Better to ask if you are not sure than remain ignorant the rest of your life!

I think we are expecting a new delivery of Magma from the Moon soon. Don't worry we won't run out

Soldato
in regards to Katla it's well overdue though it erupts every 60 years last one being 1918, scientist predict within the next 6 months it will blow. compared to eyj which is a mild eruption katla would be fierce and dangerous, taken into account the amount of pressure is under that glacier this would affect our climate, in a nutshell this is our change to prepare. the true fact is that no-one has really seen a dangerous disaster in real life, only by news, so everyone shrugs it as though it won't happen, another volcano which is overdue is yellowstone which erupts every 650,000 years is overdue and has a big magma chamber. basically all volcanoes are becoming active due the a biblical cycle that happens.

Soldato
I don't get this 'overdue' concept for volcanoes, it's like it's on a scheduled timetable.

Simple, they reach a point in which they cannot contain all the pressure, each volcano is different.

Think of it like anger levels for people, everyone will snap at different times.
You cannot be accurate with these things but from history can guage it's reoccurance.

Soldato
We should be pleased it's clearly the British that write the timetable... rather than the Japanese :eek:

i really don't know how they calculate it, but honestly think this is a wake up call that something in the future is going to happen, thats why there a lot more earth quakes, i wouldn't be surprised that there a lot more active volcanoes.

i know that 2012 has a lot of attention, the question is what leads up to it.

all im gonna say is be aware that things are changing.

Soldato
i really don't know how they calculate it, but honestly think this is a wake up call that something in the future is going to happen, thats why there a lot more earth quakes, i wouldn't be surprised that there a lot more active volcanoes.

You are being complete ignorant of past earthquakes.
"Things are changing?"

Yeah because the 21st century was earthquake exclusive, you tell that to the millions of people who died in the last century and tell me "things are changing".

Caporegime
take mount etna that constantly erupts, magma is molten rock brought up from the earths crust. as you go deeper into the crust it gets hotter, so when a crack occurs in the earths crust from the tectonic plates, and theres enough gas/pressure the molten rock/magma will start to push through

Not quite, the upper and lower mantle (what is under the crust) is actually solidus, solid with a very small amount of meltling (around 1% of mass if that). As the pressure is released through movement the melting point of certain minerals within the rock decreases and so the solid rock starts to melt, but still only a few % of the overall volume of the rock. This melt then rises up through the cracks and ends up in a magma chamber, which contrary to belief isn't a pool of moltern rock, it's an area with much higher partial melting (the melted material just sits between the solid minerals, much like oil in sandstone).

So essentially it's the opposite, it's a decrease in the pressure that can cause the melting. :) Using diagrams like those below you can then work out (using the mineral content of the extruded magma/lava) where abouts the magma was likely to have come from as well as how long it had been at certain points in the crust and what phase of the eruption it is likely to be (for example if the volcano has almost emptied its chamber) as well as a load of other bits and pieces.

If you're more interested have a look at these diagrams and they may explain it better...

http://cgc.rncan.gc.ca/mindep/method/alteration/images/fig04a.jpg

http://www.geol.lsu.edu/henry/Geology3041/lectures/02IgneousClassify/images/PQAPF.GIF

(God they were the bain of my degree! Hate them!:(:p)

It's constantly getting recycled - as new crust is formed in locations along (for instance) the mid-atlantic ridge like Iceland there are subduction zones (like along the South American East coast) where the older crust gets forced down under the continental land mass and it melts :)

Yup, an easy way of seeing it is to see the ages of the ocean floor

http://geoinfo.amu.edu.pl/wpk/pe/a/harbbook/c_iii/globaltectonics/AtlanticAge.jpg

All oceans are like that too. :)

in regards to Katla it's well overdue though it erupts every 60 years last one being 1918, scientist predict within the next 6 months it will blow. compared to eyj which is a mild eruption katla would be fierce and dangerous, taken into account the amount of pressure is under that glacier this would affect our climate, in a nutshell this is our change to prepare. the true fact is that no-one has really seen a dangerous disaster in real life, only by news, so everyone shrugs it as though it won't happen, another volcano which is overdue is yellowstone which erupts every 650,000 years is overdue and has a big magma chamber. basically all volcanoes are becoming active due the a biblical cycle that happens.

Not really, Katla is unlikely to be as large an eruption as Pinotobu (91) and St Helens (83), it's just it may end up affecting a much more populated area.

As for Yellowstone, it's not in the same league as the others and I hate that 650k prediction. It came from a Horizon program and is pure scare mongering at it's best. Look at previous eruptions and you'll see that in fact it normally erupts every 600k-1M years. There is a possibility that it may erupt in the near future however it is certainly not "overdue". :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Simple, they reach a point in which they cannot contain all the pressure, each volcano is different.

Think of it like anger levels for people, everyone will snap at different times.
You cannot be accurate with these things but from history can guage it's reoccurance.

I know about the concept of pressure within a volcano, but saying a volcano is overdue is false. When we state it exploded like a 100 years ago, scientists immediately expect it to go off in the next 100 years even if there is a pattern with how often it has exploded, which is still incorrect as a lot of volcanoes throughout the world do not follow this theory scientists have in their heads.

Mother Earth/Nature has proven pretty much impossible to predict which is why the overdue concept in my opinion isn't solid ground to predict the next eruption and i don't see it as a guideline either but equipment that detects tremors and earthquakes are more accurate than past dates of eruptions.

Soldato
You are being complete ignorant of past earthquakes.
"Things are changing?"

Yeah because the 21st century was earthquake exclusive, you tell that to the millions of people who died in the last century and tell me "things are changing".

dude chill out, im just pointing out that earthquakes have been a lot more active than previously.

Caporegime

Yup, and just like people sometimes they will build up and build up then nothing will come of it, or they won't seem that bad and suddenly something will tip them over the edge and they just explode without warning, aka St Helens which exploded like it did because fo a seismic tromor tha set one side of the volcano in movement, releasing some pressure, and like a lemonade bottle exploded.:p

What are you on about?

Earthquake levels have been broadly the same for ages, just look at past events, such as San fransisco in the early 20th century. Same with Volcanoes, Krakatoa and Santorini that destroyed the Minoan Civilisation around 4k years ago.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know about the concept of pressure within a volcano, but saying a volcano is overdue is false. When we state it exploded like a 100 years ago, scientists immediately expect it to go off in the next 100 years even if there is a pattern with how often it has exploded, which is still incorrect as a lot of volcanoes throughout the world do not follow this theory scientists have in their heads.

Mother Earth/Nature has proven pretty much impossible to predict which is why the overdue concept in my opinion isn't solid ground to predict the next eruption and i don't see it as a guideline either but equipment that detects tremors and earthquakes are more accurate than past dates of eruptions.

thats very true, volcanoes are unpredictable

Back
Top Bottom