iCloud+ and Custom Domains for Email

Soldato
OP
I've given up, I finally got it to accept the changes I made to my domain records and then it wouldn't let me add an email address. Any email address.
That's really odd, I didn't have any problems at all at that stage - Do have more than one domain to test with, out of interest?
No worries, totally fair! The lamiral.info site is the author of the imapsync project for what it's worth but yeah, I run imapsync on my own server, far quicker and easier to do a batch of accounts in one go!
Ahhh! :)

Soldato
I've given up, I finally got it to accept the changes I made to my domain records and then it wouldn't let me add an email address. Any email address.

What was the error? On my end my Apple ID was a little messy, the primary email was gmail plus I had icloud and me suffixes as well. I've changed the primary email to icloud which allowed me to delete gmail. Finally I added my new private email to the list.

Commissario
What was the error?
I posted a screenshot above where I tried to add an email address. After that, I just skipped that stage and added the domain, made the appropriate changes and they were all confirmed in iCloud+ but then it wouldn't let me add an email address, it gave the same error.

Permabanned
Soldato
I posted a screenshot above where I tried to add an email address. After that, I just skipped that stage and added the domain, made the appropriate changes and they were all confirmed in iCloud+ but then it wouldn't let me add an email address, it gave the same error.

Ahhh sorry the images were blocked on my end I completely missed them. Any movement on the can't add email addy issue today? I'd contact Apple support after that as it looks like something else has a problem if it rejects any email address.

Pez

Pez

Soldato
I've just added my domain (theryanfamily.uk) to iCloud+ and created 2 addresses - Setup took 5mins max and all working well.

If it was broken, perhaps try now? :)

Soldato
Fab thanks for checking :) Going to set up a 50gb icloud+ as a test to use for SMTP.

Would you mind sending an email from your custom domain, can you clarify if the recieved email has the custom email as the from address and not from the main apple address ?

Thanks
Yep it’s my custom one. You can specify which email to send from in icloud settings.

Soldato
I bought a domain name just to have a custom email address. Once I've actually updated all the websites I'm a user of with my new custom domain address it will be much easier to switch email address providers in the future. The only problem is that it takes a couple of months to update everywhere.

Permabanned
I bought a domain name just to have a custom email address. Once I've actually updated all the websites I'm a user of with my new custom domain address it will be much easier to switch email address providers in the future. The only problem is that it takes a couple of months to update everywhere.

This is why I hate changing email addresses, my personal one stays the same but the one I was thinking about is for a non-profit business. It's cheaper than getting one from 0365 just to recieve email. :)

79p a month is great.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I moved my domain registrar from GoDaddy to Cloudflare and iCloud didn't like it. I could still send and receive but they kept spamming me messages saying something is wrong and I had to reverify. When I tried to reverify, Apple kept sending me to GoDaddy, rather than Cloudflare. Typically support were useless, trying to blame everyone but themselves. I fixed it in the end by removing the domain and re-adding it. It's a great idea but their 'admin' page is utterly useless for managing it properly.

Soldato
I moved my domain registrar from GoDaddy to Cloudflare and iCloud didn't like it. I could still send and receive but they kept spamming me messages saying something is wrong and I had to reverify. When I tried to reverify, Apple kept sending me to GoDaddy, rather than Cloudflare. Typically support were useless, trying to blame everyone but themselves. I fixed it in the end by removing the domain and re-adding it. It's a great idea but their 'admin' page is utterly useless for managing it properly.
If you want a really good domain registrar then I can highly recommend porkbun.com. I used to use Namecheap but decided I wanted to try Pork Bun after reading decent things about them. I've now moved all of my domains over to Pork Bun. I think I have about 10 at the moment? I'm really happy with them.

Man of Honour
If you want a really good domain registrar then I can highly recommend porkbun.com. I used to use Namecheap but decided I wanted to try Pork Bun after reading decent things about them. I've now moved all of my domains over to Pork Bun. I think I have about 10 at the moment? I'm really happy with them.
Thanks, but I didn't ask for a recommendation. I'm more than happy with Cloudflare.

Man of Honour
I cannot get this to work. No matter how I set up my MX records it always says "Check your MX records".
Can someone check my domain's records for me and see if I've done something stupid?

Here's mine:

Clean-Shot-2022-07-01-at-11-13-46.jpg

How did you set it up? You should be able to do it all via https://www.icloud.com/settings/#customdomain

Use this link as an idea as to what you need, but the automated process in my first link should do it for you. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT212524

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom