IEMs (In-Ear Monitors)

Received the KZ ZS10 Pro today....

Well, music so clear! Plus, cant hear anything around me which is a big bonus! They really do isolate the music from outside noises!

Tried a few different buds it came with. Settled on medium. Small were too small as when i clenched my teeth, like when eating, the music was muffled as ear squished the buds...

So, will test them out over next few days..

Last edited:
Is it worth getting a set of foam tips? I notice some are quite expensive.

Also, anyone use spinfit? Better than stock tips?
this hobby is very subjective.

Only you can be the judge, Foams are generally used to tame treble as they absorb the upper frequency.

I have several different tips 'tip rolling' to find what I like the best for fit/comfort/sound.

I bought some KZ dsq IEMs from Ali not so long ago but lost them almost straight away (think the wife binned the box...which they were still in).
Few people in a discord I'm in were raving about the Z10 pros so thought I'd try another pair and went for the KZ zsx.
They sound decent if a little lacking in bass but think I need to put them through there paces a bit.
For gaming, they don't compare to my dt990s which I didn't expect them to, but felt a little underwhelmed given all the praise IEMs get.

iv tried quite a few IEM's recently, i settled on the simgot ea500LM mostly for gaming.

i tried truthear crinicle red, truthear Hexa, simgot em6l and simgot supermix4.
all very good sounding but for my ears the detail from the 500lm was clearer.
for music they were all good apart from the hexa which felt a little flat.

also for tips, i purchased the dunu s&s tips which fit my ears nicely.

I'm thinking of picking up a new pair in the £100 price range. Not sure which to go with though. I'd like something which has decent bass but not overpowering.
Hexa is reviewing well.

Forgive my ignorance but is this (IEM) a different category of product to in ear headphones and if so what is the distinguishing feature(s)?
They're actually designed for musicians. It's quite common for someone in a band not to want to hear everything on stage the same way an audience would. They may for instance want more bass or kick drums to help them keep time, they might even want to do without the backing vocals of some thing they don't really nee. Often their monitor mix won't have processing like compression or reverb.

Some bands will even have control of their own monitor mix via phone or tablet.

Often if your at a gig or festival you will see mics pointing at the audience, it's often so the performs can here the crowd in their IEMs.

Last edited:
They're actually designed for musicians. It's quite common for someone in a band not to want to hear everything on stage the same way an audience would. They may for instance want more bass or kick drums to help them keep time, they might even want to do without the backing vocals of some thing they don't really nee. Often their monitor mix won't have processing like compression or reverb.

Some bands will even have control of their own monitor mix via phone or tablet.

Often if your at a gig or festival you will see mics pointing at the audience, it's often so the performs can here the crowd in their IEMs.
This is largely accurate, but as a point of interest, it's more about hearing protection as an alternative to ear plugs, plus with the added benefit that you can reduce on-stage levels, feedback and clutter by having fewer speakers around. They're also often combined with wireless beltpacks to allow singers in particular to move around freely without the problem of needing to stay in range of a fixed-position floor wedge :)

As I'm a keyboard player, I don't tend to move around, so I use a simple wired system on stage. The priority for me is isolation rather than sound quality, but good mid and treble clarity is also important.

Thank you. I guess I'll order them next week in that case.
the hexa has weak bass and is a quite a flat sounding curve.

for bass the truthear nova is bass heavy but a little over the £100 budget.

otherwise the thruthear crinicle red are a nice sound with a bass boost adapter included for around £50

in all honesty as long as the tips have a good seal i think most iems will provide solid enough bass, i just felt the hexa to be quite flat overall.

the hexa has weak bass and is a quite a flat sounding curve.

for bass the truthear nova is bass heavy but a little over the £100 budget.

otherwise the thruthear crinicle red are a nice sound with a bass boost adapter included for around £50

in all honesty as long as the tips have a good seal i think most iems will provide solid enough bass, i just felt the hexa to be quite flat overall.

I am looking for different tips. Some are so expensive!!! I want to try some foam ones too...

I am looking for different tips. Some are so expensive!!! I want to try some foam ones too...
tips you can only know by trying them out. depends on your ear canal shape.
i use dunu s&s tips as they fit my ears nicely and are only about £12 for a set of 3

spinfits are quite popular and i am yet to try the divinus velvet tips too.

my ears tend to be too small for foam tips so its hard for me to get a good fit with foam.

foam also tends to absorb treble also depending on the sound of the iem.

Moondrop X Crinacle DUSK yeah!

nVu1ZSY.jpg

On first impressions I like these a lot. Clean with attention to the micro details, texture and contrast. With impactful, well extended bass thanks to the dual dynamic drivers.

I did like the Hype 4 but they were a bit too bassy and glossed over the nuances. Instruments and fine texture were less realistic or smoothed over.

Moondrop X Crinacle DUSK yeah!

nVu1ZSY.jpg

On first impressions I like these a lot. Clean with attention to the micro details, texture and contrast. With impactful, well extended bass thanks to the dual dynamic drivers.

I did like the Hype 4 but they were a bit too bassy and glossed over the nuances. Instruments and fine texture were less realistic or smoothed over.
I've had my eyes on them for a couple of weeks now. How much did you pay?

Back
Top Bottom