If Richard Branson offered you 2 million pounds...

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Yeah 2 million is a huge amount of money - but its hardly going to set you up for life. For example, you wouldn't be able to quit work on 2 million I wouldn't imagine...

Plus when you got the 2 million you would have to explain to loved ones how you got it...

"How the hell did you afford this?!"

"Oh no biggie, I just let Branson stick it to me for a bit and he gave me 2 million"

"He what now?!"

Not worth the pain and humilation :p

Why wouldn't you be able to quit work with £2m in the bank? If you earned enough interest to just offset inflation, that is a £33,000 a year salary for me based on living for another 60 years. A lot of people live on considerably less than that! Also, that is living without thinking about it properly...

You would be able to use a few years worth of that capital to buy a house mortgage-free for you to live in, increasing your 'disposable' significantly. You could buy a few more providing that you bought wisely with a view to offsetting the lost interest with ongoing rental income, further cementing your 'retirement' position (retirement being where the capital runs out). Within reason, you could potentially ignore capital depletion if you were smart enough about your property business and live VERY comfortably without needing to work ever again. Doing that is also potentially more tax efficient than paying tax on the interest, but that is fairly complicated to estimate.

£2m is easily enough to not need to 'work' and still maintain an above-average standard of living.

Soldato
Provided you didn't go mad with purchases I reckon you could live comfortably without working on £2m. £50k a year for 40 years sounds ok to me.

But on 50k a year what would you do with yourself? You'd just be bumming around all day.

Pun intended :p

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
But on 50k a year what would you do with yourself? You'd just be bumming around all day.

Pun intended :p

Work is an annoyance that I must bear to have the money to go about my life as I would like. Sadly, that takes up most of my time.

If I wasn't working, I'd be out doing what I want to do rather than what I have to do - and that doesn't have to equate to spending all of my money constantly!

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Wouldn't it be closer to 100k a year in interest with a decent account?

Maybe but you need to factor in inflation and taxation when working these things out in this context.

I reckon £2m used wisely would probably have you on somewhere around £6,000 a month after tax. If I continued to work I would obviously have even more but I wouldn't need to!

Back
Top Bottom