If you are the F1 director...........

Soldato
That's not a bad idea at all to be honest.

What if they stripped down all the rules & regs, and laid it out real simple;

4 wheels, within a specific size & weight, total fuel weight, than just give the teams a budget to work to for example.

This would open the door to so much development.

Don
no, but I think it needs to be addressed

Can address it with a thread ban from this thread as well for consistency?

No, but this week ThestigGT999 is salty because it didn't happen to the benefit of his favourites and instead the stewards stuck with consistency.

He's still not getting why Kimi was penalised in Baku and Hamilton only got a reprimand in Germany, despite 5 different people explaining it. Maybe we need crayons.

Please don't encourage him

Caporegime
The only way for cars to be relatively equal is for either a BOP or ballast added. I don't think some realise how nearly every other series uses those tools to keep the cars close.

What is BOP?

In any case, F1 did better for it in the past without these tricks, and I don't see why it can't again. The biggest F1 problem at the moment is the restrictions that prevent people catching up. The odd season of dominance isn't a big problem, season after season of watching the same team sail off into the distance is a disaster for the sport.

Associate
That's never been the case in the history of F1, even during the Bridgestone years. It has never been about flat out 100% all race. I think the closest we got was Schumacher's legendary charge in a single stint against the McLarens in 1998 at the Hungaroring and to a degree Mansell's charge at Silverstone in 1987 (though he still had to save fuel).

The 50s, 60s and 70s were all about saving the cars and engines, the 80s was about saving fuel and the delicate turbo v6s, the 90s was about saving engines, fuel and tyres, the 00s about fuel, the 10s about tyres and with the reintroduction of the v6Ts fuel too.

F1 isn't in a good place at the moment but let's not get all romantic and pretend that F1 should be something it never has been.

In the earlier years they didn't have an engineer constantly telling them what lap times to target to get the best out of everything. Any management was down to how the driver felt the car was surviving. It's all so perfectly managed now, they all end up pretty much doing the same thing because the pitwall knows exactly what is best for themselves and they pretty much know how the other teams will run as well.

Soldato
yes, let's go back to the times where half the grid broke down from reliability issues. Like when people talk about gaming, there's a lot of nostalgia for times gone past, people only remember the good times and it doesn't help when the only footage they can see of past events is the highlight package. I'm not saying F1 doesn't have problems to sort these days but try to be realistic about what it was in the past.

Last edited:
Soldato
Agree completely. I'm always surprised when people say they want to go back to the early/mid 2000s generation of cars. Sure they were some of the quickest ever, but my God were they dull races to watch. Overtaking was far worse than it is now.

Only the engines were better.

Soldato
I think that's one thing everyone can agree on, cars did sound a lot better. As for my suggestions:
Make the cars smaller, both width and length. Smaller front and rear wings, with more emphasis on the floor generating down-force. If we have to have hybrid, I would rather it be shorter duration of higher power, that the driver has to activate himself, no automatic deployment. It may cause F1 to become ever more of a DIV1 and DIV2 competition but allowing the top teams to run 3 cars would mean more potential winners.

Associate
just give the teams a budget to work to

This is something that's very difficult to monitor. What stops a team spending more than the permitted budget?

If one team uses a piece of technology that they've spent many millions developing in a different company (i.e. a joint venture, or a foreign subsidiary), does that count towards the spend?

I work as an auditor and the firm I work for has a forensic accountants department. I've heard in the past that if F1 ever brought in something like this, forensic accountants could be used to try and audit/monitor the spending of teams. Sounds pretty interesting to me.

Back
Top Bottom