If you don't have Facebook you don't exist... virtually

Soldato
I have an account under an assumed identity purely just to keep in touch with a good friend in Japan.
Other than that, **** facebook IMO. It just seems to be a circlejerk festival for attention whores. A slight exaggeration perhaps... I'm sure it has it's uses.

Anyone read Blind Faith by Ben Elton?

Man of Honour
This is my second thread on it recently. One was about the privacy concerns, and this is a retrospective. Since leaving I can see just how it saps your life and personal details. Not only that, but you actually engage far more properly with the people who mean something to you in your life without it.

More nonsense.
That is all down to you. You dont engage with people in real life due to face book? lol. Does that mean using a phone isnt engaging with people or emial, or hand written letters.
How exactly does it sap personal details.
It only has what you post, dont post stuff it doesnt have it.

Great it has my name and one email address, whoopy do, and my photots and knows i live in bristol. Theres far more personal details in other places.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
More nonsense.
That is all down to you. You dont engage with people in real life due to face book? lol. Does that mean using a phone isnt engaging with people or emial, or hand written letters.
How exactly does it sap personal details.
It only has what you post, dont post stuff it doesnt have it.

My, this thread has inspired some strong reactions already.

Using Facebook encourages fleeting interaction with many people, rather than personal interaction with a few.

Soldato
Using Facebook encourages fleeting interaction with many people, rather than personal interaction with a few.

Didn't you have to ask on this very forum for a witness to your wedding? It sounds like you struggle between the whole online/'real life' balance so maybe getting off Facebook will be a good thing for you. I would maybe look at further internet withdrawl for a while.

Man of Honour
My, this thread has inspired some strong reactions already.

Not at all.

You still have person al interaction with a few. But it does expand acquaintances if you wish. Don't want it to, then it doesn't.

Its not this thread, its you like norm al, talking nonsense. Like many of your threads.
User error by you. You can use it however you want. You chose to use it like an idiot, then blame it on fb.

Soldato
Typical FB user who actually agrees with everything I wrote in the OP. Denial.

Or maybe you're just a typical Facebook hater who's in denial.

Your whole argument revolves around:

If you did everything prompted by FB....

It's at this point where I'm actually wondering if someone told you to jump off a cliff, what your reaction would be! You do have the ability to think for yourself, no?

Obviously Facebook wants people to enter information about themselves and to post regular updates.

Want to be easily found by other people - sign up with your real name and enter as much information as you're willing to share.

Worried about how Facebook handles your data - either don't sign up, or just create an account under a fake name with fake details and tell your friends how to find you.

Done.

Soldato
I use it because it's a good way to keep in contact with groups and centralise stuff, but the people who are ****ing glued to it and actually take the time to "share and like" things absolutely do my **** in.

Caporegime
Facebook is a chat program i check before ill send a non urgent sms or make a phone call to whom ever....

I suppose you could argue that you don't "exist" socially online if you dont have a Facebook account as its probably the largest database of people, not including secret DNA ones that have been made via the collusion of the CIA/MI5/KGB/NWO/Illuminati and Aliens, stored in area 5 but...

Keep wearing them tinfoil hats people!!

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Keep wearing them tinfoil hats people!!

Nothing tinfoil hat about it. It's real and it's happening to you. You can call mass personal data sharing and exploitation 'tinfoil hat', you can call people who dislike what you like 'haters', you can call people who like to be punctual 'time nazis'. Whatever makes you feel like they are mad and you are not mad. If I thought like you people did I'd be so compliant with the world it's scary.

Soldato
No, they dont make money becuase people are lazy, they make molney by offering things ppeople want.

No, they make money by people inputting information on themselves and the advertising towards that information.

You could argue that by that information, they do offer people what they want (in advertising deals etc.) but it's still what it is.

As to the OPs point I'll use a delightful quote from magnolia.

[FnG]magnolia;24680752 said:
The problem is that most people are self-absorbed cretins with a hilariously misguided belief that other people (who are also self-absorbed cretins) have any interest in their meaningless lives other than to quietly judge them for being self-absorbed cretins.

The internet in general and facebook in particular remind us on a daily basis that the majority of people are stupid, vain, vapid, vacuous toddlers with little self-control in how they portray themselves, how they talk to others, and how they interact with the world. We live in a world where selfies project your brand even if that brand is utterly awful and pointless.

If you're not giving facebook information, you don't exist to them and the others that need your input to be self obsessed with themselves and in turn yourself.

It's not that the rumour of being dead is greater or that you don't exist, you're just not a person that needs an ego stroke from someone so remote you might not know or even met in a physical presence.

The person you knew physically in the past doesn't need to be "liked" in the present and doesn't have the need to interact with people that do. They haven't put there identity on there as they don't want to be seen as someone that needs re-assurance from other identities. Not that they don't want to be seen at all.

Man of Honour
No, they make money by people inputting information on themselves and the advertising towards that information.

ll.

No they don't. This is amazon remember not fb, seeing as op included amazon for some reason. apparently people only shop at amazon due to being lazy. Nothing to do with price, or services. Like local collection boxes, same day delivery etc.

Soldato
No they don't. This is amazon remember not fb, seeing as op included amazon for some reason. apparently people only shop at amazon due to being lazy. Nothing to do with price, or services. Like local collection boxes, same day delivery etc.

Ye right, thats why in the past people that have broken up in a relationship change their status to "single" then suddenly get dating advertising?

Must be coincidence.

Caporegime
Ive had an FB account since the first day they introduced it and to this day i dont use it all that much, i have like maybe 7 people on my friends list, mostly family and my wife.

I may log on about once a month and ive kept all my details to a minimum. Tbh ive never found any real use to fb so one of the reasons why i dont go on there much if at all.

Man of Honour
Ye right, thats why in the past people that have broken up in a relationship change their status to "single" then suddenly get dating advertising?

Must be coincidence.

Amazon have dating advertisements know do they, did you even read what you quoted.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP

You could argue that by that information, they do offer people what they want (in advertising deals etc.) but it's still what it is.

As to the OPs point I'll use a delightful quote from magnolia.

If you're not giving facebook information, you don't exist to them and the others that need your input to be self obsessed with themselves and in turn yourself.

It's not that the rumour of being dead is greater or that you don't exist, you're just not a person that needs an ego stroke from someone so remote you might not know or even met in a physical presence.

The person you knew physically in the past doesn't need to be "liked" in the present and doesn't have the need to interact with people that do. They haven't put there identity on there as they don't want to be seen as someone that needs re-assurance from other identities. Not that they don't want to be seen at all.

Excellent post. I think 'likes' are seen as some sort of currency... only that you can't do anything with it at present. People love getting likes, it validates them in some way, makes them think they are cool, clever or funny [always one or more of those three].

Maybe at some point you'll be able to trade likes for bitcoins or some rubbish.

Back
Top Bottom