I'm considering VR

Soldato
I'm not sure what's going on there tbh mate.
This is what you should be seeing when you click the button:

Games should start in your rift when you launch them. Pressing the VR button isn't required beyond initial setup afaik.

Soldato
Man I'm so close to pulling the trigger on a VR set. Unfortunately here in NZ the HTC Vive seems to be the only realistic and constantly available headset. Which is probably what I would've leaned towards in the first place due to Steam and having a large empty room available for scale.

And I have about 3+ weeks of holiday coming up. Timing sure is perfect ...

Any MUST have Vive games?

Associate
Curious why you would mess about with extra trackers and motion controls for flight simming? Just get some real pedals, much better!

Virtual joystick would work fine as the rotational tracking works regardless of HMD direction. Not sure how you would manage flipping virtual switches without looking at them?

Not saying do or don't get a Rift, just curious.

For me the no cameras is a huge boon as one of the main uses my VR kit would get is demoing VR stuff at my dev meetups. Right now we lug a Vive + lighthouses + stands and it's just a total ballache!
The Dell can actually INFER where the controller is, as long as it is not out of view too long.

Associate
Curious why you would mess about with extra trackers and motion controls for flight simming? Just get some real pedals, much better!

Virtual joystick would work fine as the rotational tracking works regardless of HMD direction. Not sure how you would manage flipping virtual switches without looking at them?

Not saying do or don't get a Rift, just curious.

For me the no cameras is a huge boon as one of the main uses my VR kit would get is demoing VR stuff at my dev meetups. Right now we lug a Vive + lighthouses + stands and it's just a total ballache!
The Dell can actually INFER where the controller is, as long as it is not out of view too long.
They all have pretty similar looking touch controllers that look a lot like the Rift controllers. I would guess that functionally these new headset/controllers are little different to the Rift, just slightly higher res, less cables to plug in, and built in cameras for mixed reality stuff.

These new systems rely on a combination of the accelerometers/gyros in the touch controllers and the cameras in the headset...the idea being that the tracking is as good as Rift/Vive when the controllers are roughly in front of you, but a bit less accurate when they're towards your peripheral vision. Tradeoff being you just have one HDMI and one USB to connect the whole lot up, no cameras/lighthouses and stands required.

Reviews should be forthcoming soon on how good the tracking and ergonomics of the different headsets are. Assuming they don't all suck (unlikely), I can't see the Vive and Rift being able to charge a premium for long, and we'll see HMDs settle at 300-350 and 400-450 with the controllers.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/31/16219544/lenovo-explorer-windows-mixed-reality-vr-headset

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/28/...xed-reality-headset-pricing-release-announced

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/08/asus-windows-mixed-reality-headset/?comments=1&post=33895093
The minimum spec required by Microsoft is 1440 x 1440. However the Samsung Odyssey pushes the envelope with 1440 x 1600. They also include built-in headphones. But it costs more than the others and it's barely cheaper than the Rift (at the time of writing): http://bestvr.tech/best-windows-mixed-reality-headsets-2018/

Associate
Have you even tried VR yet?
If not you're taking a big punt on an unknown.
Once you've got it you'll soon be doing the standing up dance soon enough :) Interacting with the environment in a realistic way is where VR shines.
If one is taking a punt and has a smart phone, then the logical case would be Google Cardboard (or one of the others of that ilk). The worst you lose is about £40 ($40 :) and you get to test the waters. That way you can decide how important it is to have cordless/cable-free and also how important is accurate tracking and low latency.

Back
Top Bottom