Im going to kill my girlfriend (figuratively speaking)

Soldato
Shifty, I seriously would go for the Dell. The panel is much better and you won't regret it. I know it's not glossy but I think it is seriously worth the extra £££.

Balls to that he originally wanted a BIG screen which he mentioned in his post.
Why are we discussing bedroom monitors? I say get one of the new upcoming X3500 Sony 1080 HDTVs.

James maybe the 70" model coming would be fitting for such a high earner. Then i would be jealous...

OT > (havnt talked to him recently but think he sorted it and he sold off his elite Blu Ray imported player)

Soldato
James maybe the 70" model coming would be fitting for such a high earner. Then i would be jealous...

yep hands held up i'd be jealous of that:cool:

OT > (havnt talked to him recently but think he sorted it and he sold off his elite Blu Ray imported player)

sounds good. its shocking the ps3 still makes the best bluray player lol. have you been convinced on the range yet then? i watched the 300 yesterday, my sofa was actually shaking. its quite nice:p

Soldato
have you been convinced on the range yet then? i watched the 300 yesterday, my sofa was actually shaking. its quite nice:p

Been so busy with the business (55-60 hour weeks) havnt had a chance though hes really impressed. Think id make my yamaha do me for a bit yet. btw have you tried the 7.1 PCM on WARHAWK game?

Soldato
not yet but its on the list of things to do! along with finish the back garden and start the decorating:p i just love the onkyo really, i think its just as important an av amp as the ps3 is a hd media player is - a fantastic bit of kit that i really dont think will be bettered in price for some time to come:)

oh back on topic // lol

Soldato
im not on here spouting about my personal situation or the wife/family i live with.

That's your call, but there are plenty of people here who have no qualms about discussing their lives, and why should they? Keeping your own information secret is one thing, but telling someone else they cant share theirs? What gives you that right...

looks like silly boasting on his wage.
He was asked his wage after his first post, he wasnt boasting he was answering someone elses curiosity.

You're just being nasty for the sake of it, and there is no need.

Soldato
You're just being nasty for the sake of it, and there is no need.

Your entitled to believe what you want and defend the post how you like no-ones arguing that, lets say youve expressed your views and ive expressed mine.

I dont agree with his selfisness, and his way of posting thats my opinion, ive expressed it which im also entitled to do. I dont believe the very vague 35-50k (only 15k difference as if its nothing, btw) is realistic and have a thread over a few hundred quid purchase as a "big deal" is an accurate one.

Its nothing personal to the guy but its an odd if entertaining way to start a thread regarding a monitor. If he was building a new system wouldnt it of been a lot more wise to spend perhaps less on a CPU etc. Most other people choose a range of components against their budget whatever it is and build their "dream system" with some form of pre-planning component selecting and whatever budget they are allowing...

Soldato
You are gay.

"So all was fine until I started getting the parts and she would ask how much they where so my mistake was to compare them to something she knows (GHD hair straighteners £60-£120 each) so my CPU came in oh thats the same as 10 straighteners mobo oh thats 2 Gpu 6 , to which ive now been told we cant afford it and I'm not allowed a big LCD "

Funny i found pricing PC components compared to hair straightners quite odd.
Also like the whole story maybe not very accurate eh.

have a good afternoon chaps...

Associate
OP
I was trying to put things into perspective as she has no interest in pc but she loves her hair straighteners and there not cheap .
I think selfish is a bit harsh I didn't call her a fat cow or anything but I was given her approval to go nuts and get what I want which I was doing then I was stopped on the last hurdle budget is nothing to do with it I just don't see the point in paying a fortune for a monitor when my aim is a big tv in the long run, which is why I said a decent amount so people could make suggestions .
And I agree calling Latte gay is a bit to much but then again I feel a bit abused here to ive been accused of big headness because I stated my wage (when asked) bad character for my comments about my girlfriend and now gay because of the fact that I compared PC components to hairstraighteners.:confused:

And as for being vague basically your calling be a lier well type in JIB in google there the people who set the standards and wage rate then check out operatives and the wage rate for 2007 I'm an approved sparks not even a high level sparks, then do the maths its time and a half after 7.5 hours then dbl after 11 and at weekends dbl time I tend to work a minimum of 10 hours a day.
I'm sorry if I sound like I'm trying to compete and boast because I'm not I just feel a bit annoyed as I work hard at what I do and feel a bit of self satisfaction when my payslip comes in .

But as you said latte your entitled to your opinion but then so am I but after some good advice I'm gonna chill and be happy.:D

Thanks all.:D

Soldato
To be fair i will explain my reasons for my posts, my annoance and kinda disbelief. I found your post very arrogant and the way you made the initial replies (like a spoilt kid)
like this one...
"Yep I stamped and I cried but she just stood there hands on hips shaking her head in that calm im gonna be unreasonable but not give a crap eitherway look on her face."

Okay so...
"my girlfriend said go nut which she did I had free rain to build my fantasy PC and she wouldn't complain which also included a nice big LCD TV to go with my system"

At some point you would think two adults would briefly discuss a price point for such a system. She then okays this and you would go about planning your purchases. Its reasonable to assume a budget of at least £1000+ as a minimium - £5000 would be required depending on just what a "fantasy pc" with big screen is.

No mention of money has been said in your posts, only a vague term of approx 18 hairstraightners with a price point of anything from £60 - £120. So thats a spending already of anything from £1080 - £2160, not that this is accurate but like your wage claim it then gave me the impression, here we go storyteller type of guy here. Not very accurate on costs, not very accurate on wage, no mention of budget. Yet the item for purchase in question is 1% at most of your annual salary, however its an issue you have to create a thread about it and describe it all to us. I read this all as kinda strange.

Regards your wage im sure you received a P60 and know fine well what your yearly salary was. 35k-50k is a hellava lot for a spark and no-one here would disagree that stating such a figure isnt an impressive wage, but then you maybe wernt trying to impress anyone right, even though you were asked.

The disrespect...
Can your girlfriend deal with real money terms, at this point its as if your post puts her out as being daft, as if she only understands "hairstraightners" we are led to presume, girls eh though they do love hair straightners etc. Hell if im confused just to what youve spent already im sure she is too and maybe, just maybe shes shocked if she indeed now knows what you had spent to this point.

You now say budget isnt the issue?
hold on a minute ....
"to which ive now been told we cant afford it and I'm not allowed a big LCD "
This indicates a budget issue doesnt it? Certainly a reason for us to believe shes putting her foot down and saying no way sonny.

To be honest its fair to believe that half the guys on here have spent quite a lot of money on their own electrical toys, be it from misspent collage uni grants to guys that top up credit cards, hire purchase or just blow a small fortune on their own interests. a lot of us are selfish and i too have been guilty of this in the past when ive sneeked in new hardware purchases or lied about prices of things ive bought. The reason is and im sure this applies to a lot of married or men in relationships on these forums is that their is much more important and better things the money could or should be spent on.

We suffer from the new disease of internet shopping addiction! ;) its not self greed or unthoughtfullness for others we are addicts with a problem. Hey whatever gives you a clean concious guys but the truth of the matter remains and thats we all buys things we want and dont really need.

Women do it with clothes etc and are no different, hell im sure she has bought plenty and not let on to you the full price but its kinda different when your comparing hair straightners at £60 - £120 to "dream pcs"

Why not just do a few hours overtime like any working person does when they need or want extra funds. Your working for it why cant YOU then spend it how you please as long as its not effecting the relationship. As others have mentioned 21"-24" are all very affordable now but really come on how much overtime would you have to do to pay the difference in such anyways thats why its such a moot point.

Alternatively i suggest YOU DO THE MATH
Have your big HDTV and get it on finance if needed with a single saturdays overtime each month to easily pay for it?
Surely a dream system is worth a few hours overtime to a guy thats on 35-50k a year, particulary as 50" screens are only a grand to 2 grand, peanuts to you mate.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
OK my friend I see your point but I think your taking my posts a little to seriously I only meant it in jest I would have thought my second post would have given that away .

"Yep I stamped and I cried but she just stood there hands on hips shaking her head in that calm I'm gonna be unreasonable but not give a crap either way look on her face."

I did discuss the costs with her and all the components and there value and use but god *** her she is a total technophobic :confused:and just shuts of not that I'm saying she is stupid she went to uni and trained as a pharmacist she just isn't a gadget nut.

My wage issue well you cant know many sparks because that is nothing to what some of my work mates earn but they do work all hours and still complain about how little they get but don't we all.;)
Besides ive always thought it was an average wage for someone with a trade but if you think thats impressive you should see how much the brickies earn , on my current site one brickie brings his tools to work in a spanking new Jag (not my taste) .

the budget issue well your spot on 2 maybe 3 weekends would easily pay for a big screen TV which is my exact frustration we can afford it but she say no which I can only assume is because we never had much growing up which I understand I sweat buckets when I'm pumping my credit card number in ,
its actually painful how sad is that.

anyway thanks for laying it out for me it feels less of an attack now and I hope Ive explained my reasoning and comments , it was not meant to offend I was just wanted to put a bit of character into my post I just find some posts so boring.
But I understand how it can be badly interpreted its sound one way when you say it but there is no way to express it the same way in text also my grammar doesn't help but you don't need to know how to spell to use a hammer. LOL

Oh and ive now got the monitor I went with the Samsung SM-226BW £220 including P&P not bad I think.:D

Soldato
My wage issue well you cant know many sparks because that is nothing to what some of my work mates earn but they do work all hours and still complain about how little they get but don't we all.;)
Besides ive always thought it was an average wage for someone with a trade but if you think thats impressive you should see how much the brickies earn , on my current site one brickie brings his tools to work in a spanking new Jag (not my taste) .

Some seen my attack at you as jealously, the small business that i own just done 22k in the last three months so i cant complain about being my own boss my prospects and that i go home each night with clean hands and no aches or pains. Then again i only have a £400 pm morgage and live in an area where the property rose over 40% within the past year so am i complaining?

Still 35k is a wage many on here wish they were even getting half of, trust me. If anything your girlfriend is a perfect example and is probably closer to a UK average.

Still think you should go out and buy the upcoming 70" Sony just to sicken the lot of us, even if she leaves you it might still be worth considering and
James and myself can keep you company for a while, we will even bring the beers, hell he might even dress up as a girl to get to see it.

Truce?

Last edited:
Soldato
"can earn £35000 to £50000"? Can earn? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Commission?

This thread sucks - was expecting to read about his girlfriend accidentally trashing a bit of his equipment, not someone crying over not being able to buy whatever he wants in a relationship that involves a house.

Back
Top Bottom