Images of items I have purchased (except trainers [no feet pics])

Soldato
2yuf14n.jpg

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I don't do a new build often, but when I do...

upgradings.jpg

i7 6700k + H115i
16GB 3000MHz
Z170X
Phanteks Evolv (tempered glass version)

Considered an M2 SSD to clone over to, but for my uses I don't think one would yield actual benefit over the SATA Intel 730 I currently have. 15 seconds to boot to desktop is pretty swift as it is.

Can't build and migrate over for at least a full week due to photo editing workloads left to finish :mad:

Permabanned
I don't do a new build often, but when I do...

http://robbiekhan.co.uk/root/temp/upgradings.jpg

i7 6700k + H115i
16GB 3000MHz
Z170X
Phanteks Evolv (tempered glass version)

Considered an M2 SSD to clone over to, but for my uses I don't think one would yield actual benefit over the SATA Intel 730 I currently have. 15 seconds to boot to desktop is pretty swift as it is.

Can't build and migrate over for at least a full week due to photo editing workloads left to finish :mad:

What about the extra SSD space for swap drive? Very useful when browsing through libraries on lightroom.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Isn't Kabylake out imminently mrk?

I genuinely don't know. I decided last week I wanted to gain some more processing power, and benefit from a modern motherboard's connectivity features, and it seemed this was the way to go.

I shall do some research into Kabylake, and if it's not too far away, then I can easily hang on for that and return the CPU and mobo tomorrow :cool:

What about the extra SSD space for swap drive? Very useful when browsing through libraries on lightroom.

Lightroom cache is already on the OS SSD, so wouldn't make any difference having a dedicated SSD for it really. Navigating the Develop module is what eats CPU cycles, the Library module is lightning quick.

Last edited:
Permabanned
How do you do that? I found Lightroom is mostly slow because of rendering RAWs which is CPU bound.

Update in preferences & load the RAWs to your SSD before backing them up to whatever archive solution you have.

I genuinely don't know. I decided last week I wanted to gain some more processing power, and benefit from a modern motherboard's connectivity features, and it seemed this was the way to go.

I shall do some research into Kabylake, and if it's not too far away, then I can easily hang on for that and return the CPU and mobo tomorrow :cool:

Lightroom cache is already on the OS SSD, so wouldn't make any difference having a dedicated SSD for it really. Navigating the Develop module is what eats CPU cycles, the Library module is lightning quick.

NVMe can make a bit of a difference though, if that's your main drive.

The read speeds are 3-5x that of a normal s-ata 3 drive and when browsing the library it can make a nice little improvement.

If you're happy with current speed though, then don't bother - the last update that improved library browsing really made a nice improvement.

Yes, rendering and importing is still CPU bound - but browsing can still be improved.

Especially as a ~400-500GB NVMe drive isn't all that expensive now - Intel 750 / Samsung 950/960

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Update in preferences & load the RAWs to your SSD before backing them up to whatever archive solution you have.

NVMe can make a bit of a difference though, if that's your main drive.

The read speeds are 3-5x that of a normal s-ata 3 drive and when browsing the library it can make a nice little improvement.

If you're happy with current speed though, then don't bother - the last update that improved library browsing really made a nice improvement.

Yes, rendering and importing is still CPU bound - but browsing can still be improved.

Especially as a ~400-500GB NVMe drive isn't all that expensive now - Intel 750 / Samsung 950/960

I shall consider it for sure, it's an easy clone away and relatively low cost solution to gain the extra latency and throughput :cool:

It does seem that cannonlake is coming in 2017, and that's new architecture change to 10nm, whereas kaby lake is mostly small improvements on skylake. If I was to wait, I'd wait for cannonlake I think.

Perhaps I will just return the cpu, mobo and RAM, fit the case in the existing system and sit tight for the new architecture stuff.

Edit*
Or maybe I should just build the new system as is, and wait a year or two...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Light room loves fast cpu and disk. If you can at least get your catalog and working set of images on an SSD it'll thrive.

I've got everything on SSD and decent CPU grunt but still find that viewing each image there's a small delay as it goes from the lower res preview to the full res RAW. I think generating 1:1 previews is meant to sort this but it uses more disk space.

Just means when flicking through images you have to wait on each image to see which is sharp.

Soldato
I've got everything on SSD and decent CPU grunt but still find that viewing each image there's a small delay as it goes from the lower res preview to the full res RAW. I think generating 1:1 previews is meant to sort this but it uses more disk space.

Just means when flicking through images you have to wait on each image to see which is sharp.
Do you have gpu acceleration enabled? It's bugged and generally not very good which can slow things down

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The latest update fixed a lot of the GPU bugs. Update and try it all again first of course. And tweak the preview cache and preview size settings to cater to your display resolution. You may well be creating previews that are too high resolution for your display.

Back
Top Bottom