Images of items I have purchased (except trainers [no feet pics])

Soldato
pussers-20161022-123157.jpg

Get the overproof Pussers, it's much better.

Soldato
RAID 5 is fine, as long as you're aware the parity is next to useless on drives that size and you're almost guaranteed a URE on rebuild of the array. RAID is not a substitute for backup anyway.

Soldato
RAID 5 is fine, as long as you're aware the parity is next to useless on drives that size and you're almost guaranteed a URE on rebuild of the array. RAID is not a substitute for backup anyway.

Yes does seem that the bigger you go the more of a risk it is, I need to find a way to schedule the data scrubbing of my Synology NAS as well, currently I just run it when it bugs me :p

Using 12.7TB out of 18.7TB at the moment, will consider options if I ever run out of room.

Caporegime

I am just about to build a NAS with 4 x 4TB Ent drives. Should I go for raid 5, 6 or 10???

Permabanned
Agreed. The raid shouldn't be your only copy anyway.

Yup... only reason I don't go raid 0 for the extra space is because downloading 40TB of data takes longer than replacing a hdd and letting it rebuild :D

Codswallop... it's quite rare for a rebuild to fail - even on disks of this size and even larger arrays.

I've only had it happen to me once in my life and that was because 2 of those nightmarish Seagate 3TB drives decided to fail within a couple of days of each other. Genuine hardware failure you're not going to get around.

I'm a Senior Network Engineer... so I've seen my fair share of arrays, array rebuilds and in-action upgrades/expansions which rebuild as you add the larger disks.

The only time you should worry is when a type of hard drive is nearing the end of its duty cycle.

I am just about to build a NAS with 4 x 4TB Ent drives. Should I go for raid 5, 6 or 10???

What's your usage scenario?

For home storage... raid 5... just keep any really precious data backed up to google drive / dropbox just in case.

The actual chance of a second drive failing before you've replaced and rebuilt a faulty drive is very low.

If it's professional storage... say for example you're a professional photographer and it's going to be where you store you main image backup - then go 10.

Permabanned
I was going to set up a NAS but with my Fractal Define XL chamber design
being so big on the storage side I went with a LSI card and set up a couple raids.

Works for me.

I have the same case... with a RocketRaid card and 6x8TB drives at the minute... it offers live expansion too, so I can add extra drives when I need them.

I recently went from 5x8TB to 6x8TB and the rebuild completed successfully :p

Soldato
I see that it's now only £27 or £40 for the Supreme Party Edition which comes with two guitars. The reviews are very varied, I wonder if it's worth pulling the trigger on this. Is there a new version, is that why the price has come down?

Argos are doing the dual guitar party pack for £36 at the moment. It's a lot of fun, kinda wish I saved it for Christmas.

The game is done really well with a choice between live music stations which you play along to and play with others to beat the score, or concerts. The concerts are real video/footage which has been edited, it's done really well and is shot from your prospective, it's really quite immersive.

Lots of songs and the ablitiy to obtain more (i believe for free if continue to play the game and earn coins) makes it unlikely to quickly become stale, like the other GHs.

For £36 with two guitars, it's a bargain.

Man of Honour
Argos are doing the dual guitar party pack for £36 at the moment. It's a lot of fun, kinda wish I saved it for Christmas.

The game is done really well with a choice between live music stations which you play along to and play with others to beat the score, or concerts. The concerts are real video/footage which has been edited, it's done really well and is shot from your prospective, it's really quite immersive.

Lots of songs and the ablitiy to obtain more (i believe for free if continue to play the game and earn coins) makes it unlikely to quickly become stale, like the other GHs.

For £36 with two guitars, it's a bargain.

I had no idea what this was and came across this -

I don't get it, why not learn how to play a guitar?
This reminds me of the South Park episode where Randy is showing the lads he can play Carry On Wayward Son on a real guitar but nobody is interested, they'd rather press 4 buttons :confused:
What has the world come to?

Soldato

Codswallop... it's quite rare for a rebuild to fail - even on disks of this size and even larger arrays.

I'm a Senior Network Engineer... so I've seen my fair share of arrays, array rebuilds and in-action upgrades/expansions which rebuild as you add the larger disks.

You and me both. I've been caught out once with a failed re-silvering due to URE and will take every precaution to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Out of interest, have your successful re-silvering processes with larger drives been with enterprise gear and SAS drives or consumer-grade SATA stuff?

Back
Top Bottom