Images of items I have purchased (except trainers [no feet pics])

That's the thing, within the USB-C connector format scope there are dozens of individual standards, USB 3.1, USB 3.0, USB 3.2, even USB 2.0 is a standard for USB-C. Then you have Gen 1, gen 2 within them, then you have e marked cables that support PPS which is a more recent standard by the USB-IF for faster charging with less heat and better battery wear, then you have cables that support QuickCHarge (of which there are many versions), then you have cables that have Quick Charge but don't have PPS and a whole bunch more.

You can get cables that support everything in one, but they are usually extremely short cables useful only for laptops or devices that are right next to each other, and they are expensive too.

That's the thing, within the USB-C connector format scope there are dozens of individual standards, USB 3.1, USB 3.0, USB 3.2, even USB 2.0 is a standard for USB-C. Then you have Gen 1, gen 2 within them, then you have e marked cables that support PPS which is a more recent standard by the USB-IF for faster charging with less heat and better battery wear, then you have cables that support QuickCHarge (of which there are many versions), then you have cables that have Quick Charge but don't have PPS and a whole bunch more.

You can get cables that support everything in one, but they are usually extremely short cables useful only for laptops or devices that are right next to each other, and they are expensive too.

There's no such thing as a PPS rated cable. The PPS protocol is implemented in the charger and the device.

Power wise, cables are either usually 3A/60W or 5A/100W. E-Markers should be on any 5A cables to safely engage any charging over 60W. They are optional on 3A cables.

A decent 5A/100W 20Gbps 2 meter USB-C to C cable is £27. Does it all.

40Gbps is a little more.

Putting my 55" on the wall was the single most terrifying moment of my life! I had to have a drink afterwards :D

Wait till you go to 65"! 55" i can reach and comfortably hold each end. I'm fairly sure the 65" version required assistance which makes things more terrifying.

I think it's worst because there's no bezel anymore, so your hands are straight onto screen!

So the intro of USB4 will be nothing like the intro of USB Type C because they will be cross compatible? (Unlike Micro USB to USB C)

Yes and no. I'm with kona786. Having so many standards with the same connector is a disaster not a plus point. Before you either had the right connector or you didnt and the only thing you had to worry about was some cables were charge only and not data as well.

Now you may have it lead that fits but it might not support the protocol you want.

See that just highlights the confusion doesn't it, many standards, so many cables, so many brands of cables and devices not being clear from the get go - Up until more recently, some cables didn't have the resisters/chips inside so weren't fully compliant and were potentially risking connected devices being damaged or the cable ends melting.

I guess upshot now is that people are more aware and even the cheap Chinese brands are using compliant cables, it's just the standards that are still a bit all over the place.`

A few bits n bobs. New screen cleaning kit. The old Monster one I had (same size) has lasted ~15 years so expecting similar results from this one lol. Some searches on here seemed to recommend this one, so giving it a go. New soldering station as my old iron fell apart. Came with 5 extra tips and was £35 so a billy bargain. Flux pen and a tub of plumber's flux for tinning said new tips. Noice!

lDNCHzy.jpg

Yes and no. I'm with kona786. Having so many standards with the same connector is a disaster not a plus point. Before you either had the right connector or you didnt and the only thing you had to worry about was some cables were charge only and not data as well.

Now you may have it lead that fits but it might not support the protocol you want.
That hasn't been true for HDMI for a long while. Nor phone charger plugs.

123.jpg

Back
Top Bottom