Images of items I have purchased (except trainers [no feet pics])

Commissario
6ft_micro_usb-20170212-141510.jpg

Associate
Forum mod;30490772 said:
I've got a Pi3 too, have no idea what to do with the bloody thing :confused:

What do you want to do with it?

I've got an RP2 monitoring my doorbell so that anyone who rings my doorbell 24/7, the Pi takes a picture of them from my CCTV, posts it on Twitter, and sends me an email which goes to my phone and laptop. Works brilliantly, costs about a tenner for the RF sniffer.

Also have a Pi 3 running RetroPi ... paired up with an old PS3 controller, so it's good for SNES, Megadrive, N64 emulators. :D

Caporegime
Brenn47;30498704 said:
What do you want to do with it?

I've got an RP2 monitoring my doorbell so that anyone who rings my doorbell 24/7, the Pi takes a picture of them from my CCTV, posts it on Twitter, and sends me an email which goes to my phone and laptop. Works brilliantly, costs about a tenner for the RF sniffer.

Also have a Pi 3 running RetroPi ... paired up with an old PS3 controller, so it's good for SNES, Megadrive, N64 emulators. :D

Why? :confused:

Soldato
EddScott;30498546 said:
Haven't purchased an RC car for months. There are quite a few re releases coming this year so thought I'd better get on with the WishList back catalogue.

32496270510_e27f6ecd7d.jpg

Takes me back to the 80s. Monster beetle, Hornets etc. Good times :)

Caporegime
Brenn47;30498889 said:
Just to see if someone's been round when I'm out.

And I had a spare Pi, and I was bored. :D

Oh and the RetroPi on the Pi 3 was a no-brainer .... old school games from the 90s! :D

I was more talking about the Twitter bit. The rest I completely understand and think it's a good idea. But Twitter?

Soldato
internetuser;30491753 said:
It's the cool hipster thing to do.
Now now, it's a proven fact that vinyl is the ultimate format, when played through a £1000 audio system it is vastly superior to digital played through £20 speakers. Vinyl is so superior that even though almost all the vinyls made this century have been produced from digital masters they still sound better than their source audio, and it's all because of the vinylness of the vinyl!

Associate
Siliconslave;30498939 said:
I like the sound of that - got a link for the RF Sniffer & relevant packages for the pi? / project log... i'm guessing its receive only otherwise would be fun to use to open close the garage door as well!

Can you write javascipt? It's pretty easy, I designed and wrote the project/code all myself. The javascipt can be simply edited to remove the CCTV if you don't have one. Overall it's been a huge success, it's been running 24/7 for almost 2 years now without failing once. :D

All the required packages come on a CD, pretty simple to setup and test. If you are serious, start a new thread somewhere and we can post up code/discus it there without cluttering this thread. ;)

It is only receive .. but I'm sure you could buy a TX module and with a bit of effort write some code to do what you want. Just takes a bit of effort.

Here's the RF sniffer with the doorbell, my mistake, it was £20.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Internet-...039951?hash=item1e9b17b0cf:g:A6AAAOSwNSxU~sZU

Associate
Phate;30499052 said:
I was more talking about the Twitter bit. The rest I completely understand and think it's a good idea. But Twitter?

There's method to my madness, I didn't want to upload the photo to a server like dropbox etc because viewing it would be too much faffing around. I didn't want to email it because I wanted to keep the email size as small as possible, forgot why.

With Twitter I created a new account solely for the doorbell, only the Pi can post to it plus I made it private so only I can view it. With twitter you've got 140 characters so you can timestamp it, plus post the photo so you can view it from any browser in the world. It works well.

Caporegime
tatts;30487127 said:
I actually preferred the picture over the Samsung for some reason. I haven't made a mistake have I? It's still far better quality than the Panasonic it is replacing.

How so?

The panasonic plasma of that era has one of the highest picture qualities ever produced. So much so that I very much doubt any LCD could match it tbh.

The only tv's that have "far better" quality would be the VT65 ZT65 plasmas by Panasonic and current gen OLED's

However it does lack HDR (but your tv isn't 10 bit so it doesn't do HDR properly anyway) and resolution isn't everything. It makes a difference particularly when streaming UHD content vs HD streams but other than that it's much the same across 1080p vs 4K.

For instance if you were to watch a 1080P blu ray on the panny plamsa vs your 4K sony. I would bet the plasma would beat it at basically everything. Motion control, black levels, etc. Same goes for watching any broadcast material unless its a UHD channel. So when watching Sky HD again the panny plasma would be better overall.

Where your 4k sony will be superior is UHD streams as the panny plasma doesn't have the option to use them unless you have a 4K AVR which will use the 4K input then supersample it and convert to 1080P output. Also superior with 4K blu rays but only in terms of resolution. Your panny plasma will still have better black levels, etc.

Soldato
Psycho Sonny;30499157 said:
The panasonic plasma of that era has one of the highest picture qualities ever produced. So much so that I very much doubt any LCD could match it tbh.

Around xmas my mate got a new 4K Sony LCD TV with smart functions, super high refresh, etc. He paid about £800 for it, when I wen't round there I couldn't believe how crap it looked compared to my 7 year old Panasonic plasma, I mean granted 4K looks much better than 1080p from a foot away but from the couch there isn't really a noticeable difference in sharpness and the whole image/movement just looks so... fake /shrug.

Back
Top Bottom