Images of items I have purchased (except trainers [no feet pics])

Man of Honour
Hades;30499280 said:
OK, general consensus is the old one is nicer. I'd probably hate the way you decorate your house then but everyone is different :)

Next bathroom is getting ripped out soon and we're doing it the same way... white, chrome, modern but probably not glass this time (too much hassle getting it right).

I think the new one looks better, but as someone said, looks a little clinical, some warmer tones in there would just soften it up a little.
However, definitely an upgrade!

Soldato
wiiija;30494708 said:
Minix Neo U1

neo.png

Thats pretty overpriced to be honest,yesterday i bought a box that has pretty much identical specs to this for £39.

Sure the case & remote on mine probably wont be as good quality but for £39 i cant moan.

Soldato
Believe me it's worth paying the extra, I've been through a few different boxes, the build quality and support make it worth spending more. Many of them don't even do refresh rate switching, so video playback is jerky, however for certain things they do the job I agree but after the problems I had, never again!

Caporegime
Nevakonaza;30500439 said:
Thats pretty overpriced to be honest,yesterday i bought a box that has pretty much identical specs to this for £39.

Sure the case & remote on mine probably wont be as good quality but for £39 i cant moan.

thanks for telling us all the name of this £39 box so we can compare for ourselves :o

Soldato
Hades;30499214 said:
Finally finished the main bedroom en-suite.

A pic just as I was ripping the old one out:

[g]http://i.imgur.com/bGg5A2y.jpg[/img]

...and what it looks like now. It's hard to take pictures without reflections as we had glass panels installed on the walls rather than tiles. Suspended sink and vanity unit, suspended toilet, underfloor heating, glass on walls. flat walk in area without any step up or down, rain dance shower.

[G]http://i.imgur.com/ijQ0ImT.jpg[/IMG]

[g]http://i.imgur.com/PvJQzIV.jpg[/img]

Looks very nice! (lol at people who like the before more!)

Out of interest how much did it cost and did you do it mostly yourself or get men in to do it?

Soldato
Yaqin 23-B Preamp

IIl0bMA.jpg

It's a bit of a lemon out of the box, producing a sound which was way worse than my integrated preamp (hum and lacking in top end and bass clarity).

This has been heavily modified with the 'Lesbox' mod. Many components have been changed but briefly: The buffer stage has been completely reworked, transistor striped out and replaced with a third valve. EQ network reworked. Valve heater voltage has been increased and stock valves have been replaced with Svetlana Winged C valves.

Huge difference now to the quality of sound. Stereo separation, clarity and detail across all frequencies are a night and day difference compared to my integrated preamp. Listening back to albums which I know well I am hearing things I've not heard before.

Frequency response now follows RIAA spec perfectly.
jH5W53u.png

Caporegime
I think a poll would complete the picture about the general consensus of the new look!

:(

I'm posting in the wrong thread. I'm so confused!

where is the YouTube wrapper?

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
Looks very nice! (lol at people who like the before more!)

Out of interest how much did it cost and did you do it mostly yourself or get men in to do it?

Thanks. Honestly I'd have to go and add everything up to work out the cost. I probably wouldn't want to say on the forum although if you're particularly interested as a ballpark for something similar then I could find out. It was done over about 8 or 9 months and was quite problematic as we managed it ourselves as a project and employed people to do most of it, rather than employing a single company.

We ordered the sanitary ware, shower, etc directly from Germany. Even after delivery it saved around 30% of the cost of buying it from the UK and allowed us to get mostly Villeroy and Boch (ordered before the exchange rate fell after brexit). The downside was that some items were damaged in transit and had to be re-sent (the company were superb). We did all of the preparation ourselves; I ripped everything out and disposed of it, moved some plumbing, made good the flooring and was then able to get quotes from people while showing them a completely bare room ready to start.

The installation of units and plumbing was done by a plumber who we are happy with. We had a plasterer skim the walls and a tiler tile them. But we weren't happy with the finish of either and had to make good some parts of the walls ourselves and rip off the tiles again. We had a problem with the builder who started the shower as he didn't fix the shower tray in place correctly in our opinion (it's hidden under the floor tiles which allows the floor to be completely flat) and it was moving when you stood on it. We didn't want to risk that causing movement of the floor tiles and a leak. So we took that out and did it again ourselves, along with tanking the walls again ourselves. We did find a superb floor tiler as I could not have done such a good job on that, and found a local glass company to install the screen and glass panels on the walls (it took them three attempts as they kept getting the template wrong). Finally we stripped and refurbished the wooden window ourselves, painted, etc. So we did what we could to save money and get the finish right. But employed people to do parts we couldn't do, or didn't have time to do.

However, having seen the poor work most people did, I intend to do almost all of the main bathroom to make sure it's done right.

When I get time (which probably means it will never happen) I'll be making some wooden shutters for the window. We did splash out on the cost of it a little because the main bedroom, with this en suite and balcony are quite a statement in the house. So the cost would be returned when we sell.

Back
Top Bottom