Images of items I have purchased (except trainers [no feet pics])

Caporegime
wingman;30488273 said:
Well I made the change simply because my Sony was faulty, so I managed to take it back a couple of days later but they'd ran out of stock by then.

By all means a great TV, but if you're into 4K gaming at all then I'd say it won't be as good as the Samsung KS7000.

My (limited) understanding is that the Sony produces 8bit 4K picture and does some clever wizardry to upscale it to 10bit via software. Happy to be corrected on this, but I did find this out after a fair bit of research.

The Samsung KS7000 is full on, proper 10bit 4K.

It uses dithering.

Basically it manipulates the picture to emulate 10K. It's better than 8bit on it's own but not as good as 10bit.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-h...4330-determining-display-panel-bit-depth.html

"In a Dither

How can an 8-bit panel—or any other 8-bit step in the signal path—reproduce a 10-bit HDR image without banding? There are two main techniques to do this. One is spatial dithering, in which neighboring pixels are assigned color values in such a way that the banding is obscured. But this sometimes results in visible artifacts such as a checkerboard effect or what looks like noise, so it isn't used much in consumer TVs.

The other, more common technique is temporal dithering, often called frame-rate control (FRC). In this process, a pixel rapidly alternates between two colors to give the impression of a third color. Depending on the specific algorithm used, this can work much better than spatial dithering, but it can also result in visible artifacts such as twinkling, especially in dark areas. Still, this process works so well, it's even used in some professional monitors that are widely used in color grading.

In my recent article listing HDR-capable displays, one of the most heated discussions in the comments is about the native bit depth of the panel used in this or that model of TV. Unfortunately, some manufacturers, such as Samsung and Sony, do not officially reveal the bit depth of the panels in their HDR displays, saying that an 8-bit panel with good processing can perform better than a 10-bit panel with poor processing.

That may well be true, but I maintain that an 8-bit panel is an inherent bottleneck in the HDR signal chain, and compensating for it with dithering—even high-quality dithering—is not as desirable as using a 10-bit panel with good processing. Such a TV is generally more expensive to manufacture and purchase, but in my view, it's worth it to get the best possible HDR image."

There has been great discussion about this within the home cinema section, etc.

Basically the best TV to get right now is the KS7000 as it represents great value for money. It ticks every box and is a ridiculous price for what you get.

Unless you require wide viewing angles then opt for LG UH either 7 series or 8 series models as they use IPS screens with ultimate viewing angles.

If you have money to burn then it has to be an OLED panel as they are the best tv's you can get.

Man of Honour
Finally finished the main bedroom en-suite.

A pic just as I was ripping the old one out:

bGg5A2y.jpg

...and what it looks like now. It's hard to take pictures without reflections as we had glass panels installed on the walls rather than tiles. Suspended sink and vanity unit, suspended toilet, underfloor heating, glass on walls. flat walk in area without any step up or down, rain dance shower.

ijQ0ImT.jpg

PvJQzIV.jpg

Caporegime
ubersonic;30499177 said:
Around xmas my mate got a new 4K Sony LCD TV with smart functions, super high refresh, etc. He paid about £800 for it, when I wen't round there I couldn't believe how crap it looked compared to my 7 year old Panasonic plasma, I mean granted 4K looks much better than 1080p from a foot away but from the couch there isn't really a noticeable difference in sharpness and the whole image/movement just looks so... fake /shrug.

It won't have a super high refresh that is marketing rubbish. I think my panny plasma says something like 2500 refresh rate when it's not even 10% of that in reality. The way each individual manufacturer measures them is extremely stupid but 99% of consumers are ignorant to this so the higher they can make it the more they will sell.

Most 4K sets now are around 60-120hz, original sets were 30hz.

The KS7000 for example is 120hz

Soldato
Hades;30499214 said:
Finally finished the main bedroom en-suite.

A pic just as I was ripping the old one out:

bGg5A2y.jpg

...and what it looks like now. It's hard to take pictures without reflections as we had glass panels installed on the walls rather than tiles. Suspended sink and vanity unit, suspended toilet, underfloor heating, glass on walls. flat walk in area without any step up or down, rain dance shower.

ijQ0ImT.jpg

PvJQzIV.jpg

old bathroom looks nicer. Your new one is like a apple shop everything white

Man of Honour
hornetstinger;30499233 said:
old bathroom looks nicer. Your new one is like a apple shop everything white

The whole house is white :)

Well the parts that we have finished are white. The other rooms will be soon.

Old bathroom was designed by someone who had an awful sense of taste.

Man of Honour
OK, general consensus is the old one is nicer. I'd probably hate the way you decorate your house then but everyone is different :)

Next bathroom is getting ripped out soon and we're doing it the same way... white, chrome, modern but probably not glass this time (too much hassle getting it right).

Caporegime
Hades;30499280 said:
OK, general consensus is the old one is nicer. I'd probably hate the way you decorate your house then but everyone is different :)

Next bathroom is getting ripped out soon and we're doing it the same way... white, chrome, modern but probably not glass this time (too much hassle getting it right).

I think the newer one looks better!

FWIW ;)

Soldato
I like the white :), that bathroom looks great.
But i don't like concealed pipes on showers, and in general really. If I get to start from scratch one day, I'll have surface mounted pipes and conduit, maybe some trays too. I like the minimalist/industrial crossover. But that's it really isn't it, all about taste.

Man of Honour
Thanks for the feedback. Yes there will be coloured towels, probably a wooden stool/seat and some kind of wooden unit to place things on.

Back
Top Bottom