Images of items I have purchased (except trainers [no feet pics])

Man of Honour
planning for a few punctures then, wanted to get solid tannus tyres, but my inner rim width is to wide, fed up of having to pump them up every few weeks and the occasional puncture.

Soldato
If you break it down on a per day cost, it's not that much really. And that gives me unlimited travel around London too. It's only £300 or so a month, which you'd have to pay for fuel/insurance/maintenance of your car.

Whilst I like driving, it's nice to be able to sit down and not worry about driving, you can read, which is something you can't do when driving. And you're not in control of the traffic - though I am a Southern Rail sufferer so I should be more down trodden than I am!

It's probably why I don't put many miles on my 350z!! But it means it's more of a pleasure when I do get out in it.

£4000 for an 80 minute commute is an absolute bargain, not sure what everyone is moaning about. Think how much that would cost you in anything but a scrapheap car, considerably more. My commute costs around £6000 a year in a car, and that's only 40 minutes in a hybrid!

Man of Honour
£4000 for an 80 minute commute is an absolute bargain, not sure what everyone is moaning about. Think how much that would cost you in anything but a scrapheap car, considerably more. My commute costs around £6000 a year in a car, and that's only 40 minutes in a hybrid!

I agree. It's still painful to part with that money once a year though! :p

But at least it means I can still plough some money into my car and enjoy it when I want to.

Man of Honour
considerably less, how the hell do you spend 6k. How can you even afford to sacrifice that much of a salary. I mean that's like 1/4 of the average wage.

Soldato
considerably less, how the hell do you spend 6k. How can you even afford to sacrifice that much of a salary. I mean that's like 1/4 of the average wage.

If you sit down and work it all out you'd be surprised I bet! That's 15kpa, including fuel insurance tyres everything. Depreciation is a lot most people tend to forget. Admittedly you could do a lot cheaper with an old car but I want something new reliable and comfy :p so it's partially my own fault. Real problem for me is there's no alternative if my car needs work so I've paid out for something in warranty.

Man of Honour
If you sit down and work it all out you'd be surprised I bet! That's 15kpa, including fuel insurance tyres everything. Depreciation is a lot most people tend to forget. Admittedly you could do a lot cheaper with an old car but I want something new reliable and comfy :p so it's partially my own fault. Real problem for me is there's no alternative if my car needs work so I've paid out for something in warranty.
just no, and its entirely your fault. you don't need to hugely finance to get a decent car these days, a couple of grand will get you a decent car and will have virtually no deprecation, 6k a year is a phenomenal amount(its equivalent to rent/mortgage for a lot of people) of money that most people couldn't even afford, it is not anywhere near the standard like you make out..
and insurance you need anyway, most people don't live in an area where they can get away without a car, so that's a cost you already have to pay anyway, so you might be able to cut £50 off the insurance by not having commuting in there.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Got a modern DS

2017.04.28_00001__26A7234.jpg

Man of Honour
just no, and its entirely your fault. you don't need to hugely finance to get a decent car these days, a couple of grand will get you a decent car and will have virtually no deprecation, 6k a year is a phenomenal amount(its equivalent to rent/mortgage for a lot of people) of money that most people couldn't even afford, it is not anywhere near the standard like you make out..
and insurance you need anyway, most people don't live in an area where they can get away without a car, so that's a cost you already have to pay anyway, so you might be able to cut £50 off the insurance by not having commuting in there.

You still need to take into account maintenance, consumables such as tyres, fuel, insurance, it's still going to be a few grand start depending on miles.

Associate
You still need to take into account maintenance, consumables such as tyres, fuel, insurance, it's still going to be a few grand start depending on miles.

Actually much cheaper than that, for me. Around £1000 for yearly costs, then £30 a week for fuel. 100 mile a day round trip which takes about 90 minutes each way.

Compared to £4500 for a train ticket, albeit for a 45 minute journey (plus 3 miles to the station, so either a five minute drive and £4 parking, or a 20 minute cycle) then I;d rather drive and listen to audiobooks.

Of course, if I had to pay for parking it'd add another £10 a week to the cost :p

Man of Honour
Actually much cheaper than that, for me. Around £1000 for yearly costs, then £30 a week for fuel. 100 mile a day round trip which takes about 90 minutes each way.

Compared to £4500 for a train ticket, albeit for a 45 minute journey (plus 3 miles to the station, so either a five minute drive and £4 parking, or a 20 minute cycle) then I;d rather drive and listen to audiobooks.

Of course, if I had to pay for parking it'd add another £10 a week to the cost :p

But you didn't take into consideration the value of the car, the maintenance, MOT, insurance, consumables. On average it's a couple of grand a year - okay so still less, but it's becoming less of a gap. :)

TBH as long as you're paying less than a month's salary for a year's worth of a travel I think that works out to be good value. :)

Soldato

Only in the UK would 4k for a commute be considered a bargain!

3.5k gets you a year's totally unlimited rail travel across the whole country here...

Back
Top Bottom