Images of items I have purchased (except trainers [no feet pics])

Soldato
Stonehenge... very funny :D Any more than two speakers is too many, imo, each to their own though :)

The tiled floor definitely won't help things, I predict a carpet and/or at least a rug or two in the not-too-distant future.

V F

V F

Soldato
Stonehenge... very funny :D Any more than two speakers is too many, imo, each to their own though :)

The tiled floor definitely won't help things, I predict a carpet and/or at least a rug or two in the not-too-distant future.

I’m not condemning him for what he bought but to go that length then not get into room accoustics, you lose performance and it turns it into a room that is no longer normal. So... Go the full haul or do not. There is no half way but with serious consequences.

The great thing about Americans and their houses, their houses are built for stuff like dedicated TV/converted cinema rooms. We’re wannabes. Trying to make something work that cannot as it ends up looking tacky.

Man of Honour
My hifi room is in a brick summer house at the back of my house. I have invested in a nice set up.....and then put a wooden floor down....and it's all gone chi chi chi chi chi chi sound wise. Hard floors RUIN sound and need treatment in my view.

Soldato
I’m not condemning him for what he bought but to go that length then not get into room accoustics, you lose performance and it turns it into a room that is no longer normal. So... Go the full haul or do not. There is no half way but with serious consequences.

The great thing about Americans and their houses, their houses are built for stuff like dedicated TV/converted cinema rooms. We’re wannabes. Trying to make something work that cannot as it ends up looking tacky.

Yes, I'd be very surprised if there wasn't an acoustic problem in that room, but like I say a carpet or a couple of rugs would definitely improve things if it was particularly bad, either that or turn it down a bit...

V F

V F

Soldato
My hifi room is in a brick summer house at the back of my house. I have invested in a nice set up.....and then put a wooden floor down....and it's all gone chi chi chi chi chi chi sound wise. Hard floors RUIN sound and need treatment in my view.

Quite piercing. Let alone the boom off the bass with wooden floors.

Permabanned
The sheer scale of the kit, the space it takes up and the fact it's more of a hifi listening room than a lounge you could live in. My wife would leave me if I tried to put that scale of kit in my garage let alone my lounge.

Thankfully my wife also happens to like nice speakers ;)

Couldn't stand having the good audio in an out-house... just seems like a waste of effort.

Centre speaker sitting on its side.

Yup... temp solution while I sort something out.

Went TV stand hunting today... only found one that we both liked and could fit the center speaker and other bits... price tag was £1499... nope... nope... nope... no way in hell I'm spending more on my TV stand than my sofa... just no.

A friend of a friend is a carpenter - so going to get him to make us something of the right dimensions in a nice finish.

Room acoustics are on the list of things to work on... a few wall panels and likely a rug or two.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think the point is that those speakers dominates the room entirely, when you walk in they hit you in the face from every angle and it makes the room feels much smaller. I'm sure they sound good but I would think due to the size of the room they didn't need to be so big because the room isn't that big, so you are never really going to take full advantage of their size and power, ever. Especially that sub...

Soldato
Why are your floor, walls and ceiling all exactly the same colour? Also, is that a chandelier?

Your whole living room looks like everything was individually donated by wealthy friends and thrown together despite none of it matching anything else. I guess money really doesn't account for taste. :p

Still, you'll enjoy watching your arbitrary blurays on that awesome tv.

Permabanned
I think the point is that those speakers dominates the room entirely, when you walk in they hit you in the face from every angle and it makes the room feels much smaller. I'm sure they sound good but I would think due to the size of the room they didn't need to be so big because the room isn't that big, so you are never really going to take full advantage of their size and power, ever. Especially that sub...
It's like cars... I couldn't give two hoots about the top speed of any car... it's the acceleration, it's the handling, it's the comfort, it's the general feeling.

I'd rather bimble along a motorway at 70mpg in a mid-large displacement petrol engine than a 1.4 diesel... even though both can manage that speed with relative ease - on the odd occasion you want to play with one you can, when you want to play with the other you can't.

Same for speakers like these... they do a well-rounded sound at low volumes better than their similarly priced competition... let alone smaller systems.

I'm happy with my Kef LS50s hooked up to my PC, they're relatively teeny but put out a great sound all the time at any volume I need... just like I'm happy with "only" a 2.3l 4-pot in my Caterham.

Enough car analogies?

These speakers can go far beyond what I will ever need or want and do it well... others will find their limit on that rare occasion I want to exceed their limit.

They're also a long-term investment... I can't see myself replacing them unless they break now... whereas others always had upgrade paths.

Only new thing would be some proper horns when I'm ready to spend that kind of dosh... and a bigger house for them.

I don't think anyone who went in there would call it an outhouse.
I don't mean its condition, I mean its location... but that's a preference thing ;)

Why are your floor, walls and ceiling all exactly the same colour? Also, is that a chandelier?

Your whole living room looks like everything was individually donated by wealthy friends and thrown together despite none of it matching anything else. I guess money really doesn't account for taste. :p

Still, you'll enjoy watching your arbitrary blurays on that awesome tv.

The lights came with the house.

It's a great house though and the light colour scheme really keeps the interior bright. I didn't like the chandeliers at first either (there are smaller versions elsewhere), but when the sun sets through the side windows of the house in summer and hits the crystals which disperse the light into beautiful sparkly little rainbow bubbles of light combined with that warm orange glow... they're actually one of the nicest lights I've had - and I'd never have picked them on my own.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It’s not like cars at all.

You don’t sit in the comfort of the speakers, in fact I would argue the size of those speakers are uncomfortable.

Sound quality has little to do with size of the speaker. You already have a sub so there is litttle to no reason to get floorstanders of that size. There are far too much cross over in frequency which is wasted. Instead, spend the extra money on better bookshelves speakers with better tweeters and cabinet constructions for better quality sound.

I too have a big sub, smaller than yours but still big for what I need, FAR too big, it’s at 9oclock on the dial and it starts at 8 and goes up to 4 o’clock position and even at that...it’s way too much power.

There comes the point of having the power for control but there’s also a point of it’s just pointless.

Back
Top Bottom