Images of items I have purchased (except trainers [no feet pics])

Associate
Thanks to fellow forum member @Tax Evader giving me a heads up on a company who produces retro mugs for the motorsport fan, I have 2 new mugs!

25189999018_229dc37570_k.jpg

39025560792_82cfb89a9c_h.jpg

Really like them!

Well Tax Evader can have a big Thank You from me.

ordered the oil can sets (4 of and 2 of)

if you hit £30 then shipping is free.

Soldato
Are the hue any good ?

I bought some cheap and cheerful idual e14 480lm bulbs off amazon that work really well. And don’t need a control hub , although they do need a remote.

Transmission breaker
Don
I just don't get Hue? Maybe perhaps because I am getting old, but I completely fail to understand the benefit...

If it's just a gadget sort of toy, then fair enough, but what real benefit is there in the real world, where a switch is actually a pretty decent way of controlling lights?

I have read reviews, and am none the wiser!

**Edit**

@Tax Evader , i just got myself 2 mugs too :D

Soldato
Ah I see.. well, Anyone looking for some decent light output for colour changing bulbs, check out the idual range. I got some e14’s that out put almost 500lm. I think the bigger fittings like the e27 cap output something like 800-900lm.

Associate
I just don't get Hue? Maybe perhaps because I am getting old, but I completely fail to understand the benefit...

If it's just a gadget sort of toy, then fair enough, but what real benefit is there in the real world, where a switch is actually a pretty decent way of controlling lights?

I have read reviews, and am none the wiser!

**Edit**

@Tax Evader , i just got myself 2 mugs too :D

I got a cheap starter kit a couple of months ago - tried it out and loved the following:

* Voice control (through Amazon Echo / Google Home) - you're lying in bed, you left the landing light on. No need to get up any more to turn it off. Not earth-shattering, but handy.

* Dimming - every bulb can now be dimmed without having to change your switches. Useful for not blinding yourself if you get up in the middle of the night (or sexy fun time :p).

* Timers - set specific bulbs to come on at a certain time. Useful if you're going away, useful as a morning alarm etc (esp since you can make them go gradually brighter over a period of time).

Since then I've bought bulbs for the rest of the house. I also recently decorated my living room and added RGB wall lights and a lamp that casts light up the wall - turning the living room red, purple etc. with a voice command is just ace.

Once you factor in that there are almost constantly special offers available on buying several at a time, the fact that you don't need to change any wiring / switches in your house to get some of the same benefits, the cost isn't quite so fearsome.

Soldato
I just don't get Hue?

There is nothing to get. It's just another thing in the smart connected home just like heating and security.

It's over the top, expensive and not needed but it's also fun for children and for just creating moods around the house.

Now that the IKEA smart range is mostly compatible with Hue I intend to change the 14 GU10s in the kitchen with the IKEA bulbs which are £7 each.

Going to get a few switches to put around the house and some sensors and then all the lighting will be smart and lights will turn on and off as you walk in and out of rooms.

I've got the disposal income so why not. Worth it for me and my intended use.

Back
Top Bottom