Images of items I have purchased (except trainers [no feet pics])

Soldato
It is a properly nice bit of kit - heating steering wheel is something I never thought I'd *need* :)

I had an M4 for a long weekend after I had the V8 M3...and it just didn't feel very special or an event, certainly not for the 60 odd k it was up for anyway. This does, and was 'only' 40.

I'll not go into it too much in here, but I'll post some stuff in motors when the weather clears. My early impressions are that this is what I wanted the new M4 to be, for me anyway. I'm sure Fox will tell me I'm wrong :)

Soldato
My old WD My Cloud is close to it's limit so I decided it was time to upgrade.

Only 1 4tb Ironwolf today but I'll be putting 3 more in over the next few months. 4gb memory expansion coming later today snow permitting. The WD will become a backup device for the Synology.

lgnGDoe.jpg

Soldato
I have the very same unit - fantastic devices. I've got mine paired to a DS415 for replication. Upgrading the drives is easier but it does seem to take a while doesn't it. I mean you just pull one out, put the other one in, hit repair and rumbles off for a couple of days. Fine if you're only doing one drive....? Are you just starting with one drive, then adding more in the future (if I've ready you correctly)? Surely drive 2 will just become a mirror of drive 1, until you get to at least 3 drives and can switch to RAID or the Synology version?

The software on the Synology is ace. The HyperBackup thing, the remote access etc. All very well done.

Soldato
yes Just the 1 drive today. I spent over 2k on my new laptop last month and now this, though these bits were paid for by the parts from my old computer sold in the MM, so I will add more in good time. I’ve seen enough videos for Synology NAS that I’m under no illusion how long adding a new drive will take :eek:. But I have seen on some videos that your storage is still usable, albeit at a reduced speed, whilst the drives are being added.

I’m looking forward to setting it up and playing with it later on when the memory arrives and it’s all gotten to room temperature. It’s main function will be a Plex server so if all works as intended, I can sell my Surface Pro 4 which is currently fulfilling that role.

Soldato
Ii use plex on mine - works really well. I do have a slight issue that now and again the plex services seem to not stop, and consume all of the processing resources. I've scheduled a weekly reboot to sort it. Really should look at it properly I guess.

Soldato
I have the very same unit - fantastic devices. I've got mine paired to a DS415 for replication. Upgrading the drives is easier but it does seem to take a while doesn't it. I mean you just pull one out, put the other one in, hit repair and rumbles off for a couple of days. Fine if you're only doing one drive....? Are you just starting with one drive, then adding more in the future (if I've ready you correctly)? Surely drive 2 will just become a mirror of drive 1, until you get to at least 3 drives and can switch to RAID or the Synology version?

The software on the Synology is ace. The HyperBackup thing, the remote access etc. All very well done.

So you have two 4 bay NAS', one of them is a main unit and the other is just sitting there as a remote backup?

Right now I just have a DS214 that has the mirrored RAID setup, so one drive acts like a complete 1:1 backup and then I backup the whole thing into a huge drive off the USB as my backup-backup.

Soldato
Ii use plex on mine - works really well. I do have a slight issue that now and again the plex services seem to not stop, and consume all of the processing resources. I've scheduled a weekly reboot to sort it. Really should look at it properly I guess.

I got some cheap laptop memory to upgrade my DS1815+ from 2GB of RAM to 6GB and it's made a world of difference. If you're on 2GB worth considering.

Plex DLNA service seems to chew up a lot of memory and isn't used for normal Plex viewing, so could also disable that.

Running most things in Dockers these days, but do love my Synology it's a really good bit of kit.

Soldato
My DS418play is now set up. Considering what it is it’s stupidly easy to set up and Plex works great on it. No idea from experience how much 6gb is over the standard 2gb as I never booted up before I put the 4gb module in but I don’t doubt it makes a big difference.

Soldato
So you have two 4 bay NAS', one of them is a main unit and the other is just sitting there as a remote backup?

Right now I just have a DS214 that has the mirrored RAID setup, so one drive acts like a complete 1:1 backup and then I backup the whole thing into a huge drive off the USB as my backup-backup.

Yes, exactly that.

Soldato
Rail for my AKS
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Soldato
Everything setup, sound is crystal clear :).

If you aren't using the volume on the MDAC then you can bypass it's volume control, I think you have to hold the volume knob in while powering up or something.

Also the designer (John Westlake) released updated firmware which adds new features such as display dimming, see here http://mdac.referata.com/wiki/Main_Page

I have a modified unit with upgraded power supply.

Soldato
Bought a cheap second-hand Xbox One S earlier this week, controller seemed fine at the time but after getting it home and trying PUBG I noticed the right stick keeps drifting up/down. Tried fixing it but with no success, so bought a new controller for it. Fortunately YouTube finally paid out my ad revenue for a not-particularly-interesting video I made years back comparing HDD and SSD boot speeds so that paid for it. :)

RVEFYBbh.jpg

Soldato
Thanks for the link :). Currently I have my PC volume at max with system sounds turned off and then adjust the M-DAC to suit. Which filter to you generally use? I've left mine set on "optimal spectrum" for now.

I'm not using mine anymore but I think I used Optimal Transient, John talks about them on that page and he said OT and OT XD were his favourite too.

Associate
New keyboard to replace a dead K70:

Logitech G413 - I really like the Romer G switches on it. Like MX browns but feel more responsive, and really nice to type on.

My only gripe would be the lack of wrist rest and FN multi media keys. But otherwise lovely. A massive fan of the understated 'space grey' look.

I should avoid this thread as it can get expensive - especially as I was not looking for a replacement keyboard! :o

I have just picked up the same keyboard but in Silver, just fancied a change and the white backlight and colour goes with my peripherals. I am loving it so far and I like the Romer G switches (previous keyboard was MX Browns as well). The pass through USB is handy, just plugged my USB dongle for my Logitech G900 mouse so I can hide the mouse cable when not in use. I would agree, a couple of dedicated media keys and this keyboard would be perfect. Nevertheless, well chuffed.

Soldato
Picked the perfect day to swap from an AWD BMW Dad Wagon to this (yes, yes, awful photos). I can confirm that it's quite terrifying in the snow.

M21.jpg

M22.jpg

as soon as my M140 is three years old she's going in for one of these.....know what you mean about the snow though. They are pathetic in anything other than the dry.

Back
Top Bottom