Images of items I have purchased (except trainers [no feet pics])

Associate
One of my finest photographs I feel
43457826822_4331fc9eb4_h.jpg

And for you many doubting Thomas's who would suggest I just took a picture of a box

42565624835_e7d1681a25_h.jpg

I have a real talent for this photo stuff I feel...
So nice can’t wait for mine, ordered a 15 yesterday and even taking the much pressed i9, figured I got 14 days to return

Soldato
After watching this video I am leaning towards the 13" i5, with 16G ram. The chassis simply can't unlock the full potential of the i9 so it seems money wasted.

Hearing even the i5/i7 13" is suffering pretty badly for thermal throttling. Worth a Google (or look in the big thread in apple hardware section)

Permabanned
After watching this video I am leaning towards the 13" i5, with 16G ram. The chassis simply can't unlock the full potential of the i9 so it seems money wasted.

Usable screen real estate on the 15 is much improved over the 13 though... if you're using it for photo editing... the 15 is worth it, just don't worry about the i9 upgrade. The better GPU will come in more and more useful too.

I'm annoyed by the throttling... but seems even the beefier built units are having trouble with the i9.

In normal use... browsing / boring work / etc... the speed bump of the single core i9 performance will be noticeably faster than any other model.

Already ordered some Thermal Grizzly to replace the thermal paste to get the most out of it and drop any fan noise.

Caporegime
Usable screen real estate on the 15 is much improved over the 13 though... if you're using it for photo editing... the 15 is worth it, just don't worry about the i9 upgrade. The better GPU will come in more and more useful too.

I'm annoyed by the throttling... but seems even the beefier built units are having trouble with the i9.

In normal use... browsing / boring work / etc... the speed bump of the single core i9 performance will be noticeably faster than any other model.

Already ordered some Thermal Grizzly to replace the thermal paste to get the most out of it and drop any fan noise.

Well I am torn…because for the 13" I would want at least 16G ram and also 512SSD which bumps the price up to around £2300 anyway which is the same price as the base model 15" which even with this throttling it is still a quicker machine and like you said, better GFX on it and more screen estate. The base 15" is just a faster machine at that price point despite the throttling.

I am so torn i have been looking at Windows laptops ! lol

Permabanned
Well I am torn…because for the 13" I would want at least 16G ram and also 512SSD which bumps the price up to around £2300 anyway which is the same price as the base model 15" which even with this throttling it is still a quicker machine and like you said, better GFX on it and more screen estate. The base 15" is just a faster machine at that price point despite the throttling.

I am so torn i have been looking at Windows laptops ! lol

Don't do it... I went back to Windows with one of the best available - the Razer Blade 14 - and regretted it quickly, having had a 2014 15" MBP before that. Just sick of Windows after using OSX for work... only reason I have a Windows desktop at home is because I like to game once in a while. I've been doing lots of real-world things lately so haven't gamed in 6 months or so... earlier today I was hovering over putting my rig up for sale and getting an iMac Pro :eek:

And I consider myself a power user... just the maintenance to keep Windows running quickly is tiresome.

The Apple tax is annoying... but they really do make the best kit around... even with throttlegate... but then seems all laptops with these 6-core chips are going to throttle under heavy load :(

The 15 is the better buy unless you want the smallest content-creator-viable laptop in the 13... but for my assumptions of your use - the 15 is better... the 1TB upgrade isn't insane... the 2TB is getting a little silly but I wanted 2TB as I'd like to keep this laptop for a while.

What do you have now? I don't think this generation is worth the upgrade over the 2016/2017 15" thanks to the throttling... unless you desperately want 32gb or the single core improvements.

Only reason I bought is I like having the fastest thing as I still find computers too slow for my brainses.

Caporegime
Don't do it... I went back to Windows with one of the best available - the Razer Blade 14 - and regretted it quickly, having had a 2014 15" MBP before that. Just sick of Windows after using OSX for work... only reason I have a Windows desktop at home is because I like to game once in a while. I've been doing lots of real-world things lately so haven't gamed in 6 months or so... earlier today I was hovering over putting my rig up for sale and getting an iMac Pro :eek:

And I consider myself a power user... just the maintenance to keep Windows running quickly is tiresome.

The Apple tax is annoying... but they really do make the best kit around... even with throttlegate... but then seems all laptops with these 6-core chips are going to throttle under heavy load :(

The 15 is the better buy unless you want the smallest content-creator-viable laptop in the 13... but for my assumptions of your use - the 15 is better... the 1TB upgrade isn't insane... the 2TB is getting a little silly but I wanted 2TB as I'd like to keep this laptop for a while.

What do you have now? I don't think this generation is worth the upgrade over the 2016/2017 15" thanks to the throttling... unless you desperately want 32gb or the single core improvements.

Only reason I bought is I like having the fastest thing as I still find computers too slow for my brainses.

I do most of my work on my last gen iMac which I maxed it out when I got it with i7, 32G RAM, Fusion drive at the time. On the go I take a 2010 13" MBP with me but that can only take 8G RAM and I already put in a 512G SSD. It is fine for web and stuff but it's actually so old, the latest Adobe CC won't install on it !!! I got a message about not compatible with the machine.

I only edit photos on the go when I am doing my photo trips, and client meetings in coffee shops so it's not a daily machine, more a take it from A to B then sit down to use.

I am used to carrying an external HDD for storage as I don't like putting all my photos into the computer so 512G is more than enough. I'll carry an external 2TB SSD.

I've looked into the Razer series, and to my disappointment even they don't have SD card slots, not even in the 15" !

Last edited:
Permabanned
I do most of my work on my last gen iMac which I maxed it out when I got it with i7, 32G RAM, Fusion drive at the time. On the go I take a 2010 13" MBP with me but that can only take 8G RAM and I already put in a 512G SSD. It is fine for web and stuff but it's actually so old, the latest Adobe CC won't install on it !!! I got a message about not compatible with the machine.

I only edit photos on the go when I am doing my photo trips, and client meetings in coffee shops so it's not a daily machine, more a take it from A to B then sit down to use.

I am used to carrying an external HDD for storage as I don't like putting all my photos into the computer so 512G is more than enough. I'll carry an external 2TB SSD.

I've looked into the Razer series, and to my disappointment even they don't have SD card slots, not even in the 15" !

Then, IMO... the 15 is the better buy.

Like you mentioned... once you spec up the 13 to what you want... the base 15 offers the same spec, but has the bonus of a better GPU and screen.

Soldato
You can get one hell of a windows laptop for £2300, lol.

You can, and I tried going down that router after owning a 2014 MPBr for 3 years. However, nothing came close to the build quality of the macs, battery life was so inconsistent that some days I could get 9 hours of work out of an XPS 15, some days 3. Pair that with disgraceful customer service, horrendous QC and numerous other small niggly things, I ended up returning it and just buying a Mac again.

I've since had a speak blown on it, took it to an apple store, mentioned my keyboard was a bit iffy too, and they replaced the whole top assembly of the machine (new battery too) the same day. All I got from Dell was that because I didn't get the machine from them direct, I only have an RTB warranty, and so I'd have to pay to send it back to them (after opening the machine for the first time and having faults).

Apple tax is worth it for sure.

Man of Honour
The only Windows laptop I would consider is the Surface Book 2, and for that price I’m well into Mac territory.

I had a Dell XPS a few years ago. What a laughable machine it was. I ended up returning it after dealing with Dell’s most unhelpful customer service.

Back
Top Bottom