Images of items I have purchased (except trainers [no feet pics])

Associate
Jan-Dec next year sorted :D
IMG_20180824_145512025.jpg
Picked 1 of these up myself as well, really good bargain

Soldato
Fancied a beer the other night but it was raining so didn’t want to leave the house. Remembered seeing about Beer52 somewhere and thought I’d try that so i could have something other than Peroni, Beira Moreti or Estrella on the occasion I fancy one. They just so happened to be offering a free case (pay postage).

SCSepXw.jpg

Unfortunately didn’t get a chance to try one tonight and I’m away for a week now so they can sit in the fridge staying nice and cold for me

Caporegime
The fact is that a lot of DIY jobs are not that difficult. You might need some tools that you've then got for next time, that are nowadays not too expensive if it's only for a one off job. Sure, practice and experience will make a tradesman do it faster, but everyone's got stories about tradesmen messing them about, not turning up, charging rip-off money and then doing a poor or average job.

Reading up on what you need to do or looking at youtube will get you most of the way there, and then it's just a case of taking your time and doing it carefully, and you're likely to do a better job than a tradesman that is just going to do a quick job and move on to the next cash-cow. Most just seem to do as little as they can get away with, rather than having any pride in doing a good job, despite the high prices they are charging.

One big differnce though is

Say the plumber ***** up and floods your house the plumber is paying for it

Say you **** up and flood your house you're looking at a bill that could be in the tens of thousands

Caporegime
A few posters in there live in NZ though :p

End of the day i think everyone is entitled to do whatever work they want. Most skilled trades can be learnt by someone willing.

I'm an accountant but i accept that with some effort pretty much anyone could do their own accounts/bookkeeping. Just like i can learn to do basic electrics and other work around the house.

Skilled workers (whether trade or professional) will always have work because not everyone is inclined to learn to do things themselves or simply just don't have the time or desire.

I absolutely hate painting, and would love to get someone in to do it. But i just can't justify paying someone £1500 to come in and paint my whole house when i can do it myself (to maybe 70% of the standard) and use that money on something else.

Painting is one thing is say do yourself just because the amount of shoddy work professionals do because they're just working to get it done and dont give much of a ****

Soldato
One big differnce though is

Say the plumber ***** up and floods your house the plumber is paying for it

Say you **** up and flood your house you're looking at a bill that could be in the tens of thousands

Sorry, but have to chip in and say that’s a load of nonsense.

Most disasters aren’t a result of something going wrong with plumbing, it’s ignoring the issue until it causes that much damage.

Literally had my father in law put a screw through the heating pipes under the floor and caused a grand total of £20 damage in new connections to cut and rejoin pipe and paint to fix the ceiling below.

On the flip side the previous owners of the house actively ignored clear signs of damp at the back of the house which was a drain pipe that had cracked. Fixed it within 24 hours of moving in and practically saved the house from falling down on itself.

Obviously spending thousands up front to avoid the issues further down can make some people sleep easy at night, but I sleep easy knowing I’ve only spent the best part of £10k doing 2 x completely bespoke bathroom refits, 1 x internal wall replaced and room redone, 1 x kitchen install.

If I have a problem I have the skills to immediately fix. If I don’t, I’ve got insurance - oh, plus another couple £K in the bank saved by doing it all myself! :D

Oh - and on the tiling side of things, give it a bash. Plenty of stuff online to get you started and once you start doing things yourself in your home you realise how unskilled some skilled workers are...

Gone through three sparkys (when doing anything with the main fuse box) and four plasterers (the one thing I just don’t have time to learn or the time to get it wrong -as we’re just painting the walls)

Back
Top Bottom