Images of items I have purchased (except trainers [no feet pics])

Caporegime
Soldato
I need to do that with my new place, when I get time.

May I ask where did you learn? I am basically starting from a position of knowing nothing but happy to learn, buy the right tools.

I wouldn't know... Im paying men to do it! Have never tiled tbh.

If I had multiple bathrooms I would consider a DIY job but wanted this one done quick (going to be circa 2 weeks, with in laws bathroom taking 5 days of tilers time last time so know he's good).

Caporegime
That is Plan A, but wondering how hard can it be…one of my friend has done it twice at his place, he "claims" its easy.
I bet it didn’t seem so easy when he was doing it. Tiling can be incredibly tiresome and frustrating, especially if you have any OCD tendencies.

It’s good to give the job to people making a living doing it too. You would always advise strongly against people doing their own wedding photography wouldn’t you?

Soldato
That is Plan A, but wondering how hard can it be…one of my friend has done it twice at his place, he "claims" its easy.
From what I've heard if you plan it properly, have a level flush surface and can take time you can do it (ie plastered /smooth

I think the main difference between you /a pro is
1: speed (!)
2: experience to avoid mistakes

When you consider things like pipes under the floor I guess thats why (generally) people don't diy a bathroom. Personally I'd consider on next project, but have got semi competent at other diy tasks and understand water due to job :p

Caporegime
I bet it didn’t seem so easy when he was doing it. Tiling can be incredibly tiresome and frustrating, especially if you have any OCD tendencies.

It’s good to give the job to people making a living doing it too. You would always advise strongly against people doing their own wedding photography wouldn’t you?

Lol, how did this turn into wedding photography and giving people jobs!

Soldato
It’s just a bee in my bonnet I’ve always had about DIY. I think some people try too much and do shoddy jobs, while tradesmen are losing out on a potential wage.

Can you blame people with the cost of some trades/housing in general? A lot I've paid well in excess of £200/day labour, which I imagine is unaffordable for a lot of people compared to their own time.
Especially when there are unfortunately many cowboys about,

Yes a lot of it is skilled trade, but a lot of stuff is generally able to self install with a bit of Google and a lot (!) of time.

Caporegime
It’s just a bee in my bonnet I’ve always had about DIY. I think some people try too much and do shoddy jobs, while tradesmen are losing out on a potential wage.

Put it this way, if i mess it up I can hire someone to do it properly, if I don't then I am happy with it then I learn a new skill.

Either way, nobody's day ruined, no brides unhappy, it's a bathroom wall, not a wedding day :)

Soldato
Yeah fair enough, crack on.

Do post pics so we can laugh at, I mean, critique your efforts.

Wow, poor show for criticising someone for wanting to learn a new skill!

You'd hate me! I do all my own DIY yet i'm not a skilled trademan, currently refurbing a whole restaurant myself as we speak, lots of shoddy joinery and painting going on here, i'm even plumbing my own beerlines in ;) poor tradesmen losing out on my hard earned money!

Don

It is pretty easy :)

Guy who did the work in the picture, started bottom left. The crosses you see are spacers, you can pick them up at any DIY place, really common. These obvious keep an even space between all tiles. And he'd have used a tile cutter for the 2nd tiles in from the left, and used the rest of it after the corner. Once that's done and everything is firmly stuck, you just grout and basically smear inbetween the tiles with grout, then finish (to get the finish rounded and slightly below the tile). There's a tool for that too, it's like a plastic stick with a ball on the end.

But as mentioned, the difference between an amateur DIY and a proper tiler is massive, but it's doable :)

Caporegime
Wow, poor show for criticising someone for wanting to learn a new skill!

You'd hate me! I do all my own DIY yet i'm not a skilled trademan, currently refurbing a whole restaurant myself as we speak, lots of shoddy joinery and painting going on here, i'm even plumbing my own beerlines in ;) poor tradesmen losing out on my hard earned money!
Part of learning a new skill is surely criticism on what you can improve.

Soldato
They are, yes. I like the sound from them, and it took me some time to find speakers look good whilst having Chromecast support built in. Chromecast support is wanted as I have speakers in the ceilings of most rooms that link back to the amp that is under that lamp on the right; that has a bank of Chromecasts as inputs so I can cast music to various rooms. Downstairs some more Raumfeld kit lends a bit of depth to the ceiling speakers :)

Cracking idea! Had my eye on their kit for ages - looks stunning :)

Caporegime
You were complaining about putting poor tradesmen out of work! Like, how dare you take tradesmens work off them by attempting DIY yourself.
Isn’t it part of how an economy works though? People paying money to others for their skilled services. I mean, if everyone thought, “nah, restaurants are too expensive, I’m gonna cook at home every night”. It wouldn’t make your life too prosperous would it? All your hard work would be for nothing, and you’d be on here bemoaning why no one is using your restaurant.

Soldato
Why don’t you get someone to do it. It’s a skilled trade, you won’t be able to do it anywhere near as good as a professional tiler.

That really isn't true. I do all my own tiling to a similar standard to any professional. It does take me considerably longer though :)

It really isn't that difficult if you use the right tools and take your time.

Not everyone has the time or inclination for DIY though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom