Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Broadband-speed.png

Been a long battle but I finally got gigabit fibre after BT telling me it wasn't possible for two years, I ended up writing an email to the CEO of Openreach and they we're amazing, got the executive team to look after my case, BT tried to once again say it wasn't possible, Openreach basically said your getting it no matter what, they ended up upgrading my fibre modem and rerouting my line though a different exchange that had newer hardware and bingo!

Soldato
Is mrk's screen a wifi action cam (googles hitting that anyway) ? I was thinking/hoping it was an external display for a mobile phone, but from scale looks wat too small

SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi Action Cam​

I bought an SJCAM SJ4000 for about £50 in 2016 before a holiday. Cannot say I ever really used it.

Is it like VM going through copper in the chain somewhere too? That ping seems high for FTTP!

No FTTP all the way, I was one of the first to have FTTP which meant in the long term I got penalised because I was on legacy ECI ONT/HEADEND, so everyone around me could upgrade to full gigabit apart from me, the ping might be due to the routing they had to do as there was no slots local to me.

Reactions: mrk

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Is mrk's screen a wifi action cam (googles hitting that anyway) ? I was thinking/hoping it was an external display for a mobile phone, but from scale looks wat too small

SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi Action Cam​

It's this:

Also got some USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 cable updates as a tidying of the spaghetti that is the cabling behind my PC last night revealed that I was actually connecting various devices to the least optimum USB ports, which then lead me to remember that mobo and device manufacturers and the USB-IF are just absolutely insane and can't be bothered labelling and naming USB ports sufficiently.

E6rf9nk.jpeg

On the back of my mobo... most mobos really, you have red USB ports and blue USB ports and in some cases, maybe some black ones too like I do. The blue is USB 3.2 Gen 1 (5Gbps), the red is 3.2 Gen 2 (10Gbps), and if you have a Type-C port at the back too, then that's 3.2 Gen 2x2 (20Gbps). The black ports are USB 2.0. The latest boards may have a USB4 compliant port too which is 40Gbps if I recall.

But oh wait, don't mobos have front panel headers too? Yes! Mine has a Type-C front panel header which is Gen 2, not 2x2, it also has USB 3.2 Gen 1 headers and on my case they are coloured yellow, makes clear sense right??

So I realised that I had USB 2 devices plugged into the 3.2 Gen 1/2 ports which is silly, along with my monitor's USB hub which is 3.2 Gen 1 so doesn't make sense it being plugged into a red port. Faffed about tidying that all up and realising I needed some new cables to satisfy the standards supported by my devices as the cables themselves are rated to Gen 1, Gen 2 etc.

Here's the other funny part, USB 3.1 Gen 1 and Gen 2 are the exact same speeds as 3.2 Gen 1 and 2..., USB-IF just numbered them because why not. Gen 2x2 is only available on Type-C ports as both banks of pins are used to get 20Gbps, yet the mobo's front panel output for Type-C only supports Gen 2 10Gbps... The confusion and tediousness of USB standards is rather annoying to say the least.

10ms isn't high by any standards.
You can expect around 5 to 15 for FTTP, so it's right where it should be.

I get double that on my Virgin 500/50, which isn't great, but not terrible.

Ah it's just that most FTTP results I've seen are typically 4-6ms, mine hovers in 4-5 any time of the day for ref whilst my old VM Gig1 (not VM's FTTP) was 15ms before I switched to FTTP.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am a Philips TV convert for their LED back light. Had my OLED now for almost 5 years and it's been fantastic.
I've got 3 Ambilight TVs now. Since I got one about 10 years ago, I've stuck with them. I got an absolute bargain last year with a 50in 'The One' for £350 for the guest room - and wanted to get the bigger version for our living room. Had to pay a bit more to get one of the last remaining 2023 models - as their latest TV's have ditched Google TV for their own Smart Tv interface - which I wanted to avoid.

Associate
Broadband-speed.png

Been a long battle but I finally got gigabit fibre after BT telling me it wasn't possible for two years, I ended up writing an email to the CEO of Openreach and they we're amazing, got the executive team to look after my case, BT tried to once again say it wasn't possible, Openreach basically said your getting it no matter what, they ended up upgrading my fibre modem and rerouting my line though a different exchange that had newer hardware and bingo!
They’ve started rolling out 1800mbps through some providers (EE at the moment) it wont be long until BT start offering it aswell. Just waiting for them to allow us to get it on staff package!

Back
Top Bottom