Images of items I have purchased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Looks outstanding! Great build. Shame its not a 4:3 monitor but good ones are hard to come by!
Thanks. Widescreen intended from the start as some of the systems it plays are setup for that. Also handy I had a spare old screen to use, one of the old DGM IPS panels OcUK did years back for a bargain price.

Do you have a build log for that/a link to a guide you used/anything like that? What was the final cost?
No dedicated guide as I designed this one from scratch, but took a load of info from the BYOAC forums and have previously build a full sized cabinet. I've got plenty of build pics so will try and throw something together over the weekend.

As for cost, like all good man hobbies, don't keep track of the cost as it would be upsetting. :p

Take my money, seriously, take it, I want one!!!!!!
Haha thanks.

Soldato
PKpnkF2.jpg

Synology DS1815+

I've spent hundreds on a free standing 22u rack mount cabinet, 12 bay chasis, ECC RAM etc for a ZFS file server project which a year on still hasn't gotten anywhere. The file system while great, just wasn't suited to me with outlaying thousands of pounds on drives in one go to maximize space efficiency. Also, I just don't need it. I spend enough time around network cabinets and server issues in work. I want something that just works!

I've been keeping an eye on Synology, there hardware is expensive and yes you could build you're own for much cheaper but I wanted a plug and go system.

Recently their new DSM 6 (beta) OS now supports BTRFS on particular models, this was what made me jump on it and order one. Purely for the error detection and correction inherit of the file system, quite similar to ZFS.

I plan to load the bays with 3TB drives over time, with SHR-2 (RAID6 equivalent) will give me 18TB usable storage.

Last edited:
Caporegime
krc1BoJ.jpg.png

Synology DS1815+

I've spent hundreds on a free standing 22u rack mount cabinet, 12 bay chasis, ECC RAM etc for a ZFS file server project which a year on still hasn't gotten anywhere. The file system while great, just wasn't suited to me with outlaying thousands of pounds on drives in one go to maximize space efficiency. Also, I just don't need it. I spend enough time around network cabinets and server issues in work. I want something that just works!

I've been keeping an eye on Synology, there hardware is expensive and yes you could build you're own for much cheaper but I wanted a plug and go system.

Recently their new DSM 6 (beta) OS now supports BTRFS on particular models, this was what made me jump on it and order one. Purely for the error detection and correction inherit of the file system.

I plan to load the bays with 3TB drives over time, with SHR-2 (RAID6 equivalent) will give me 18TB usable storage.

When my Netgear gets full (82% full), I am going to get that. It should last a good 5 years !

Soldato
When my Netgear gets full (82% full), I am going to get that. It should last a good 5 years !

I've only had it going for 2 hours but so far I really like what I see, the hardware is very decent and the software is very polished. Also is very quiet and very fast (even with the new file system in place).

I have two more WD Reds in my old HP Microserver which will be coming out and I will be adding to the Synology over the weekend, will give me a nice 12TB total. Plan to get a UPS for it at some point also for controlled shutdowns, also will configure cloud backups on it.

It's great that you can pull out drives and expand it up as larger capacity drives become cheaper to purchase (those 6TB Reds!). It certainly will last a very long time if all you want from it is a file server.

Been eyeing one of these up for a while but the BTRFS file system was what made me want!

A more sensible purchase compared to the Nexus 6p which I briefly had on order ;)

What an eye watering amount of money for a NAS!!

I agree, it is very overpriced! If I had any patience I could have waited for XPEnology to catch up and include the BTRFS file system in their releases. But ah.. :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Ive used a Synology 4 bay device for years and bar 1 PSU failure and a couple of drives reaching the end of their life, without any data loss, it's been faultless, reliable and idea for media storage for streaming all over the house.

Soldato
Sheet of toughened tinted glass to finish off my latest project, an arcade coffee table.

CoffeeCade 01 by Andy Baker, on Flickr

Love this. A friend made a MAME coffee table but it was 100 times worse than this - His was literally an old wooden coffee table with a laptop in and a joypad connected!

Love Montane products; good choice :)

Thanks. I should also get some ok money back from my Rab Latok alpine to cover the price

Regarding NAS drives in general for media streaming - I don't really see the point now we (or most) people have fibre internet. I can stream 4k so what is the point in having terabytes of data just sitting there? I have 3TB drive for media and use it for photo storage and the occasional music track I can't find on youtube! oh, and with gigabit internet you could download 4.5TB of data in an hour (125Mb/s) You would probably get close to this too, on my 100Mbps service I get ~12Mb/s down & up

Last edited:
Caporegime
Depends where u live. I'm on 2mb broadband and it took me three weeks to download Gta v.

As for streaming hd, just forget it. It's sd only via online

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well, I'm not sure when you started, but say there's stuff from a decade ago you haven't looked at for 9.9 years, and never will look at again, it seems somewhat unnecessary :p. Then is it just on a NAS, or also online? If just on a NAS that makes no sense. Are there any online storage options you can use for that archived stuff which you don't need to readily access?

I convert RAW to DNG (both to reduce file size and hold the settings together), archive into NAS.

But they are not deleted, only files that gets deleted are the rejects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom