Images of items I have purchased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Just tidied my room and made a pile of everything i've bought recently...

1v1MJiP.jpg

Half of it is new parts for my brother as a Christmas present, not that there's anything wrong with what he's got, these just look nicer! And the other half is hardline cooling for me :D

Commissario

I got that through last week (or was it the week before?), it's a good read :)
It reminds me of the old Dark Horse Aliens tie ins, I would love to reread the likes of Earth Hive again some time.

My one complaint is that it's so heavy, it's something like 2Kg, so very much a case of rest it on your lap with the spine between your legs, or stand it on a table to read.

Soldato
I got that through last week (or was it the week before?), it's a good read :)
It reminds me of the old Dark Horse Aliens tie ins, I would love to reread the likes of Earth Hive again some time.

My one complaint is that it's so heavy, it's something like 2Kg, so very much a case of rest it on your lap with the spine between your legs, or stand it on a table to read.

It is heavy! When it arrived I was wondering what I had ordered that weighed so much.
These days I normally get kindle ebooks for convenience, but I decided to treat myself to this.

Soldato
PKpnkF2.jpg

Synology DS1815+

I've spent hundreds on a free standing 22u rack mount cabinet, 12 bay chasis, ECC RAM etc for a ZFS file server project which a year on still hasn't gotten anywhere. The file system while great, just wasn't suited to me with outlaying thousands of pounds on drives in one go to maximize space efficiency. Also, I just don't need it. I spend enough time around network cabinets and server issues in work. I want something that just works!

I've been keeping an eye on Synology, there hardware is expensive and yes you could build you're own for much cheaper but I wanted a plug and go system.

Recently their new DSM 6 (beta) OS now supports BTRFS on particular models, this was what made me jump on it and order one. Purely for the error detection and correction inherit of the file system, quite similar to ZFS.

I plan to load the bays with 3TB drives over time, with SHR-2 (RAID6 equivalent) will give me 18TB usable storage.

Have same NAS, can confirm, very good! :)

Also way better VFM than the 5 bay version of it, for some reason. 3 Extra bays worked out about £100 more...

Commissario
It is heavy! When it arrived I was wondering what I had ordered that weighed so much.
These days I normally get kindle ebooks for convenience, but I decided to treat myself to this.

Aye, I'm mainly an ebook person myself these days, largely due to space concerns (even having moved about 1000 DVD's into flight cases I'm short of space due to them and books).

I'm tempted to look into a cheap larger physical display tablet (9") or at some point replace/add a full HD or higher monitor in Portrait mode on the desk for reading graphic novels.

Permabanned

Also way better VFM than the 5 bay version of it, for some reason. 3 Extra bays worked out about £100 more...

I'd recommend not using 3TB drives though...

4TB now has a slightly improved price per GB.

6TB is the same price per GB as 3TB and you can have double the density.

18TB is surprisingly easy to use up...

It will take you twice as long to populate the bays with 6TB drives... but it'll be worth it in the long term.

Soldato

Briefly I considered the 12 bay model. But I snapped out of it and realised that a) I don't have the need for such capacity at the moment b) it's another £300!

By the time I would come anywhere near filling a 12 bay model, Synology will have released a new range or two with more gutsy CPUs (I can see them heading this way in the future)

It will take you twice as long to populate the bays with 6TB drives... but it'll be worth it in the long term.

If i was starting from scratch I'd have gone 4TBs. Had the 5x3TB drives from my ZFS project laying around which were purchased 12 months ago. Makes more sense to use them and stick with threes.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Briefly I considered the 12 bay model. But I snapped out of it and realised that a) I don't have the need for such capacity at the moment b) it's another £300!

By the time I would come anywhere near filling a 12 bay model, Synology will have released a new range or two with more gutsy CPUs (I can see them heading this way in the future)

If i was starting from scratch I'd have gone 4TBs. Had the 5x3TB drives from my ZFS project laying around which were purchased 12 months ago. Makes more sense to use them and stick with threes.

They weren't worth it for me...

I bought 2x DS213js before I discovered the HP microserver and their cashback offers...

For the price of the difference between an 8-bay and 12-bay Synology NAS (£300, as you mention)... you can buy 3x Gen 8 microservers and have 12-bays worth of storage.

For the price of 1x 4-bay budget synology NAS, you can buy 2x 4-bay Gen8 microservers which have more powerful CPUs than the 12-bay Synology NASes, yet use similar/less power.

I currently have 2x 213js + 2x Gen8s + my original home-built server with 4 drives in use for storage... all using raid-5 arrays

2x4x3TB = 18TB
2x4x4TB = 24TB
1x4x6TB = 18TB

60TB of storage and I'm planning another 4x6TB... oops

Fair enough re: the 3TBs... I did similar, but then felt the need to expand.
I don't think the synology devices are worth the premium though, when you have things like the Gen8s available

Soldato
They weren't worth it for me...

I bought 2x DS213js before I discovered the HP microserver and their cashback offers...

For the price of the difference between an 8-bay and 12-bay Synology NAS (£300, as you mention)... you can buy 3x Gen 8 microservers and have 12-bays worth of storage.

For the price of 1x 4-bay budget synology NAS, you can buy 2x 4-bay Gen8 microservers which have more powerful CPUs than the 12-bay Synology NASes, yet use similar/less power.

I currently have 2x 213js + 2x Gen8s + my original home-built server with 4 drives in use for storage... all using raid-5 arrays

2x4x3TB = 18TB
2x4x4TB = 24TB
1x4x6TB = 18TB

60TB of storage and I'm planning another 4x6TB... oops

Fair enough re: the 3TBs... I did similar, but then felt the need to expand.
I don't think the synology devices are worth the premium though, when you have things like the Gen8s available

The Microservers are great (I have one) but not enough bays is its let down in this instance. I'd not be happy with a file repository made up of multiple servers, it's more to break with increased footprint size, heat and noise output.

Soldato

I had 4 x 3TB drives already, so buying a few more wasn't too bad.

Since then, 6TB have come down in price from £200 to £180, so going in the right direction.

My plan will be to buy bigger drives once I start to run out of room again, but still around 40-45% free space at the moment, may as well wait and see if I can eventually get the 6TB's cheaper :)

Buying new I would agree though.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Cheaper on the site (by 50p)

Thats pretty cheap for a half decent gilet. Shirts are usually £60+

And one with a decent inside pocket at that too. I much prefer having my phone in the inside breast pocket, it's just better there especially when walking and earphones are attached.

It's a very very cosy gilet though, you're pretty much wearing a down feather duvet in the shape of a gilet :D

Soldato
Jellybean Just Visiting This Planet classic 80's album

288teeg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom