Images of items I have purchased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
krc1BoJ.jpg.png

Synology DS1815+

I've spent hundreds on a free standing 22u rack mount cabinet, 12 bay chasis, ECC RAM etc for a ZFS file server project which a year on still hasn't gotten anywhere. The file system while great, just wasn't suited to me with outlaying thousands of pounds on drives in one go to maximize space efficiency. Also, I just don't need it. I spend enough time around network cabinets and server issues in work. I want something that just works!

I've been keeping an eye on Synology, there hardware is expensive and yes you could build you're own for much cheaper but I wanted a plug and go system.

Recently their new DSM 6 (beta) OS now supports BTRFS on particular models, this was what made me jump on it and order one. Purely for the error detection and correction inherit of the file system, quite similar to ZFS.

I plan to load the bays with 3TB drives over time, with SHR-2 (RAID6 equivalent) will give me 18TB usable storage.

What file system are you using? There's a limitation with EXT3 that won't allow you to expand past 16Tb. My mate just experienced it when upgrading his 3Tb drives to 6Tb drives.
You may have to create a second volume.

I think it's ok if you create the volume above that size initially but if you create it lower then try to expand it you'll not be able to go past 16Tb

Soldato
What file system are you using? There's a limitation with EXT3 that won't allow you to expand past 16Tb. My mate just experienced it when upgrading his 3Tb drives to 6Tb drives.
You may have to create a second volume.

I think it's ok if you create the volume above that size initially but if you create it lower then try to expand it you'll not be able to go past 16Tb

Yes that's a limit of EXT3, we are now on EXT4 and that doesn't suffer from that limitation.

I am using BTRFS though with the latest beta firmware. Self healing and bitrot protection through checksum goodness, very much superior to EXT4.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Picked up this "Classic Paddlesworth Gilet" yesterday. Been after one of these type of things for a while, but finding one that wasn't mega puffy, mega shiny or just gash has proven difficult. The nice ones tended to be £lol as well. Nice sale on at Jack Willis outlet (also online) so went for it.

Feather padding is rather cosy :cool:

rps20151106_074243_827.jpg

Also got this 6P 128GB, but it will be going back in a few days. This isn't the Droid I was looking for.... ㋡

WjoVxNG.jpg

Associate
New MicroATX case for my PC to shrink it down.

IMG_20151106_114622_zpsolbgswrl.jpg

Seriously, the box it comes in is smaller than my current case! And it weighs a third the amount (handy when my PC lives in parts behind the sofa and only gets to come out and play when the kids are in bed) :)

IMG_20151106_114701_zpsxhdwrpjo.jpg

Caporegime
Is that it?

They're 'smart' and they learn.

It syncs with your phone, so if you and your family sod off on holiday it clocks this and turns the heating right down/off and when you're back in the country turns it back on.

Where it learns your habits it adjust the heating behaviour accordingly, and over time, saves you money where it makes your heating more efficient to your needs. :)

You can also adjust the heating via your phone which is pretty sweet. :p

I think also it syncs with local weather reports (they're connected to wifi) so if its going to get colder outside it'll adjust accordingly inside, things like that.

Soldato
They're 'smart' and they learn.

It syncs with your phone, so if you and your family sod off on holiday it clocks this and turns the heating right down/off and when you're back in the country turns it back on.

Where it learns your habits it adjust the heating behaviour accordingly, and over time, saves you money where it makes your heating more efficient to your needs. :)

You can also adjust the heating via your phone which is pretty sweet. :p

I think also it syncs with local weather reports (they're connected to wifi) so if its going to get colder outside it'll adjust accordingly inside, things like that.

Have they fixed the daylight savings issue yet?

The big bit it misses for me is zoned heating control - the Honeywell product nails this.

Caporegime
Have they fixed the daylight savings issue yet?

The big bit it misses for me is zoned heating control - the Honeywell product nails this.

I've no idea, I don't follow it too closely tbh. I'm about to ditch having any permanent address for a long time so I'll catch up with it when I get my own place again :D

No doubt they'll include the zoned controlled heating at some point. :)

Soldato
Nice one! :cool:

I've had mine for 18 months and really like it. I would recommend the Nest Protects as well

Have been looking at these, and was hoping it would just be a direct replacement for my Honeywell thermostat, but it would appear that there is a bit more to it, and that it is also necessary to wire in and connect a Heat Link 'box' directly to the boiler circuitry, which then has to be wired in to the new Nest thermostat, all of which sounds like a bit of a pain to me!

Associate
I've only had it going for 2 hours but so far I really like what I see, the hardware is very decent and the software is very polished. Also is very quiet and very fast (even with the new file system in place).

Synology is the best, I run a core 2 duo Xpenology machine that has Plex Server, Sickbeard, NZBGet, Transmission and TVHeadend with a DVB-T2 tuner.

https://synocommunity.com/ Install the Synocommunity repo for loads of extra goodies.

Permabanned
Picked up this "Classic Paddlesworth Gilet" yesterday. Been after one of these type of things for a while, but finding one that wasn't mega puffy, mega shiny or just gash has proven difficult. The nice ones tended to be £lol as well. Nice sale on at Jack Willis outlet (also online) so went for it.

Feather padding is rather cosy :cool:

rps20151106_074243_827.jpg

Also got this 6P 128GB, but it will be going back in a few days. This isn't the Droid I was looking for.... ㋡

WjoVxNG.jpg

Can you link me that jacket?

Soldato
Have been looking at these, and was hoping it would just be a direct replacement for my Honeywell thermostat, but it would appear that there is a bit more to it, and that it is also necessary to wire in and connect a Heat Link 'box' directly to the boiler circuitry, which then has to be wired in to the new Nest thermostat, all of which sounds like a bit of a pain to me!

generally the heat link just replaces the thermostat next to the boiler.

if you have a wired temperate control the nest replaces that bit, if you have wireless temperature control then the nest replaces that (but plugged in)

they generally are just straight replacements and cant be fitted to 90% of uk boilers these days.

my boiler is rather dated (discontinued in '97) and it will wire in fine to that.

which honeywell you got?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom