• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

~~~~~IMPORTANT SANDYBRIDGE OC INFO: Voltages & OC Guide!!~~~~~

Associate
What multi's have you guys got? Read on the clunk guide to OC a 2600k that you can have up to 57x (if you are lucky) yet I've just got my sandybridge working and I can select up to 59x? :S

Caporegime
i5 2500k @4.5
Asus p8p67 Rev3
4GIG Kingston DDR3 Hyper-x
Ati 5850
Windows 7 64
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Haf 912 PLUS
Intel 320 80GIG

Offset @ 0.025
PL Overvoltage disabled
Load Line Calibration - Medium.

EDIT, i seem to have lost the full load screenshot but vcore at full load varied between 1.288-1.304

Last edited:
Associate
i5 2500k @4.5
Asus p8p67 Rev3
4GIG Kingston DDR3 Hyper-x
Ati 5850
Windows 7 64
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Haf 912 PLUS
Intel 320 80GIG

Offset @ 0.025
PL Overvoltage disabled
Load Line Calibration - Medium.

EDIT, i seem to have lost the full load screenshot but vcore at full load varied between 1.288-1.304

I sure hope you aren't basing your stability on 5 runs of IBT? I have had a LinX stress test with AVX crash after even 76 runs running with 7GB RAM in use. You should make sure your system can run 100 runs of LinX/IBT with the latest AVX linpack. Otherwise it doesn't prove your system is stable at all.

Caporegime
I sure hope you aren't basing your stability on 5 runs of IBT? I have had a LinX stress test with AVX crash after even 76 runs running with 7GB RAM in use. You should make sure your system can run 100 runs of LinX/IBT with the latest AVX linpack. Otherwise it doesn't prove your system is stable at all.

Still yet to have a crash, im happy. :)

Caporegime
You might not be having any direct crashes but you are most likely having micro corruption which can screw your system up and potentially lead to full on system crashes. I would't risk it if I were you

That's a load of rubbish. I'm not risking anything, Intel Burn Test stresses it far more than the constant gaming i use it for. If its not crashing in my eyes its stable. I don't need to stress it any more than i have done imo. If others want to stress it for a couple of days non stop to feel theirs is stable so be it. ;)

Associate
That's a load of rubbish. I'm not risking anything, Intel Burn Test stresses it far more than the constant gaming i use it for. If its not crashing in my eyes its stable. I don't need to stress it any more than i have done imo. If others want to stress it for a couple of days non stop to feel theirs is stable so be it. ;)

It's not a load of rubbish, LinX uses a specific algorithm, a video game might use a comletely different algorithm and/or instruction set which although might not 'Load' the CPU as much , it could ask for completely different equations, take AI for example.

Just because it is able to pass 5 runs, which quite frankly I can do using 1.3V compared to 1.36V to run 100 runs does not mean it is stable. Any program can use 100% CPU power if it is written to do so. You seem to be missing the point that if your OC can pass 5 runs, but not 20 runs then that means it won't always calculate specific equations properly which will lead to system crashes or micro corruption. If on the otherhand your CPU can consistently calculate 100 runs then there is no fear of it missing any calculation.

Of course, making sure your CPU IS stable requires more voltage, but that's the price you pay for stability. It's up to you. I just find it annoying when people quote their systems as being 'stable' on these ridiculously low voltages, making me wonder why I can't achieve similar results which are stable. A system that can only pass 5 runs I know if I were to leave it video encoding or run some folding equations it would crash half way through. The point being, if a system crashes on ANY benchmark, even if it takes 3 days, then it is NOT stable.

Unless you are limited by heat, then I don't see the point running an 'unstable' OC with low voltage unless you are after epeen or whatever it's called. As long as you don't go over OCUKs limit of 1.38V you should be fine. I would rather have a hotter CPU which lives 8 years instead of 10 to know it's actually 100% stable.

Caporegime
It's not a load of rubbish, LinX uses a specific algorithm, a video game might use a comletely different algorithm and/or instruction set which although might not 'Load' the CPU as much , it could ask for completely different equations, take AI for example.

Just because it is able to pass 5 runs, which quite frankly I can do using 1.3V compared to 1.36V to run 100 runs does not mean it is stable. Any program can use 100% CPU power if it is written to do so. You seem to be missing the point that if your OC can pass 5 runs, but not 20 runs then that means it won't always calculate specific equations properly which will lead to system crashes or micro corruption. If on the otherhand your CPU can consistently calculate 100 runs then there is no fear of it missing any calculation.

Of course, making sure your CPU IS stable requires more voltage, but that's the price you pay for stability. It's up to you. I just find it annoying when people quote their systems as being 'stable' on these ridiculously low voltages, making me wonder why I can't achieve similar results which are stable. A system that can only pass 5 runs I know if I were to leave it video encoding or run some folding equations it would crash half way through. The point being, if a system crashes on ANY benchmark, even if it takes 3 days, then it is NOT stable.

Unless you are limited by heat, then I don't see the point running an 'unstable' OC with low voltage unless you are after epeen or whatever it's called. As long as you don't go over OCUKs limit of 1.38V you should be fine. I would rather have a hotter CPU which lives 8 years instead of 10 to know it's actually 100% stable.

Keep your knickers on sweat pea. :eek:

I don't need to stress my cpu that much with 500 runs of intel burn test. I run IBT 5 times and leave prime running for a few hours. If it passes those its stable for me.

This has always worked for me, never had any problems following this method.

I base my stability on that above, and the fact i never have any problems or crashes. Not interested in anything else unless i have a problem, which so far i haven't. :)

Now run a long and do some more runs of IBT. ;)

Associate
When overclocking the i5, do I just up the multiplyer to whatever, say x44 and then play with voltages by 0.005 each time till its the lowest it can go ad stay stable. Or is there tons to do such as change ram timings etc..

Associate
Fantastic thread, just hitting page 18 loads of useful info has me well educated on the do and do nots of i7 ocing, thanks to everyone who contributed.

JLeo

Associate
With regards to Bios for the Asus P8P67 Pro which did you guys find the best I see quite a few references to ver 1202 would this be the best starting point? as there are more updates that claim optimised auto settings I would appreciate any thought/ideas.

thanks

Associate
Hi guys, just a quick question, I just put together a 2500k, 8gb vengance ram in a Gigabyte Z68AP-D3. Touch-bios, cpu-z & coretemp all give different vcore readings, which one should I trust?

Cheers,
Matt.

Associate
Overclocking guidelines have now changed on the i7 2600k and i7 2700k!

***OVERCLOCKING GUIDELINES***

- Do not exceed 1.425-1.450v core voltage, doing so could limit lifespan of the CPU
- Do not overclock with BCLK, again doing so could limit lifespan of the CPU
- Recommended memory voltage is 1.50v, so make sure to run your memory at 1.50v, higher than 1.60v could limit lifespan of the CPU
- These recommendations come from OcUK and Intel, your warranty is un-affected but we highly recommend you adhere to the above to make sure your CPU lifespan is un-affected
- All Sandybridge CPU's worldwide should be run at the above or lower voltages, no higher!

5GHz here I come ;)

Associate
- Do not exceed 1.425-1.450v core voltage, doing so could limit lifespan of the CPU
- Do not overclock with BCLK, again doing so could limit lifespan of the CPU
- Recommended memory voltage is 1.50v, so make sure to run your memory at 1.50v, higher than 1.60v could limit lifespan of the CPU
- These recommendations come from OcUK and Intel, your warranty is un-affected but we highly recommend you adhere to the above to make sure your CPU lifespan is un-affected
- All Sandybridge CPU's worldwide should be run at the above or lower voltages, no higher!

Where did you get the information from? or are you taking the mick?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom