In Which we discuss the next folding at home competition

Soldato
Personally I think we leave any competition until there are more rubishy WUs around. :p

Another idea is for someone to grab a few WUs and make them available on a server - then we try to get the best time possible over say 10 frames, more like the old Seti benchmark WU which used to be run.

Associate
*watches thread with interest*

Made a couple different sigs cause I'm bored.

amdsighg7.jpg

intelsigov6.jpg

I suspect they'll be little point in entering this competition for me as theres only one PC I can leave on 24/7 for about 3 or 4 days and thats my 3200+ ClawHammer. So even on 24/7 it's not gonna be much above the bottom of the low end :p

Permabanned
Concorde Rules said:
I don't see how single machine competition would work.

Its either going to be me with my X1900XTX + 3.6ghz C2D or some dude with two X1900s folding... :/

Pretty much forgone conclusion for high end Intel.

The rest of the bands might have more to go on tho...

If you read the thread through, it was suggested to ban GPU folding and leave it to the CPUs for the duration of the competition.

Soldato
divine_madness said:
If you read the thread through, it was suggested to ban GPU folding and leave it to the CPUs for the duration of the competition.

Maybe not ban GPU folding, because I wont be inclined to lose 800PPD to enter a competition I probably wont win :p

Be good to have a GPUs in the race because more people may be interested to fold on their GPU and stay with it after the competition is over. My only reservation is having GPUs on their own, because I have said already barring any mishaps the results are going to be fairly obvious within a couple of days. Unless someone has been keeping quiet I think Concorde has the fastest GPU at the moment so if he could keep it going 24/7 for the duration of the race, he is gonna win.

SiriusB

Man of Honour
Due to other commitments I won't be contributing much to the organising of this this time, but I do want it to happen and will prod anyone 'Klingon pain stick' style to 'make it so'. :p :)

Of course, if you need any help with anything, let me know.

Soldato
Berserker said:
I don't think we can reasonably get OcUK (the shop) involved, especially not right now with the Christmas rush. Sorry.

Yeah I knew it was a long shot. Still, it is an interesting idea that should be kept for consideration should we do another one of these competitions. Assuming this one happens :D

SiriusB

Soldato
OP
Berserker said:
Assuming? I guess I didn't make myself clear. It will happen. :p
Indeed. I didn't make this thread for the fun of it. There'll be another competition come hell or high water. Just a case of sorting the finer details. :p

Associate
I think the idea of CPU only is definitley the way to go - I fold on my GPU currently but it simply wouldnt be fair really to those people without them. You could however have a separate category totally for those with X1900s and CPUs that fold, so that they can keep folding with all their power and take part? As has been said previously, an 800ppd loss isnt something that is going to be good for me or for OcUK as a team.
My opinion on the levels of CPUs is that we go with the AMD/Intel split, and then the Quad/Dual/Single core split within those categories, because that is about as fair as we can make it really. Then in terms of prizes award 4 maybe? For AMD dual/single and Intel dual/single?

Soldato
OP
Well i think we're decided that there will be two leagues, Intel and AMD.

Next to decide is sub categories. Is it really worth having a league for the 10 or so people who with a quad core? I mean it may be that no-one with a quad core joins. Although i suppose theres still people with 4 cores (dual dual cores). However those with 4 cores on the team can simply leave two or their cores folding for their normal username. So its only people joining just for the competition or new folders with 4 cores that will cause a problem. Since it will be a very small number imo, should we just ask that they only fold on two cores?

Edit: I'll put a section in my first post of whats been decided so far to keep track of things.

Soldato
Okay below is just a rough draft of the structure and possible rules. Be great if you could put this in your original post Joe and make changes as and when they are decided...

The OcUK Folding@Home Competition 2006

This is a contest between anyone who feels they have what it takes to crunch the most with their machine and be crowned the OcUK member with the highest performing machine in his or her category!

The rules of the competition are very simple. Each participant is to register themselves with the following details:

• Forum Name
  • Exact CPU Specification

They are then to create a FaH username with the prefix [FaH06_CPU type_CPU Vendor] followed by your forum username.

CPU type

Single Core = SC
Dual Core = DC

CPU vendor

AMD
Intel

For example, if I entered with an AMD X2 CPU my folding username would be [FaH06_DC_AMD] SiriusB

They are then required to do the following steps.

1: Install Folding@Home on a single machine - [links to sticky etc]
2: Set up client using your unique username created as above. [possible set list of settings to use for the competition]
3: At the date and time specified activate the client

Since very few users have a Quad core CPU it would be unfair to let any of you lucky people enter using all 4 cores. You can however use 2 cores. Also anyone with a dual core CPU may enter with just one core, just be sure to enter as a single core user and you cannot change your mind once the competition has started.

The Competition is divided into 4 leagues.

AMD Single Core and AMD Dual-Core
Intel Single Core and Intel Dual-Core

There are prizes for each of the winners of the 4 leagues and runners up. In addition all the Intel CPUs will be competing against all the AMD CPUs regardless of CPU type.

Absolutely anyone is free to enter the competition whether or not you already contribute to Folding@Home.

I have written it as it may appear in our official competition thread as it may better highlight any issues that come up and also helps us make the whole thing easy to understand and follow.

Now the above is by no means complete but I think we are on to something :D

Something that came to me while writing it was the WU issue... do we make all users set the same -advmethods value.. or leave it up to them to decide? I am inclined to leave it up to each person... after all it would add some randomness to the results meaning that someone with fastest CPU may not necessarily win. What do you guys think?

Cant think of anything else at the moment.

SiriusB

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom