Inception - July 16th

Permabanned
I've just watch this today.

I really liked it. Dark City (similar concept) is better, but still a good film that makes a change from all the harry potter/slasher poop we normally have to deal with.

Soldato
I saw it the other month, luckily the last week it was showing at the cinema in IMAX, was only 8 people in the the cinema, lol. Excellent film, the GF has got me the bluray for Christmas, look forward to watching it again on Christmas day.

Associate
Saw this the other night, I thought it was slightly better than Shutter Island, DiCaprio's last outing, which was possibly one of the worst films I've ever seen.

What is it with DiCaprio ?
His catalogue since The Departed has been decidely below average (imo), hopefully his next (J Edgar Hoover) is an improvement.

Associate
What is it with DiCaprio ?
His catalogue since The Departed has been decidely below average (imo), hopefully his next (J Edgar Hoover) is an improvement.

There's nothing with DiCaprio. It's you.

Since the Departed DiCaprio has done five movies. Blood Diamond is generally considered great, Body of Lies was maybe a bit of a disappointment but still not bad, Revolutionary Road is considered rather good, Shutter Island excellent and Inception one of the best of the year. Not my opinions mind you, but what most people think of these movies.

Soldato
I'd give it 7/10 (5 being average). Linear plot meant that I had the plot sussed very quickly. A good movie but reminded me a little of The Game (which is superior) mixed with the Matrix.

Permabanned
Great, like.........

Shawshank, Godfather, Pulp Fiction, Schindlers List, Raging Bull ?

I think not.

It is entirely subjective. I though Blood Diamond was far better than either Raging Bull, which I though was full of raging Bull to be honest and Pulp Fiction, which I find overrated.

Shawshank and Godfather are a given however, and Schindlers list I haven't seen.

Caporegime
Great, like.........

Shawshank, Godfather, Pulp Fiction, Schindlers List, Raging Bull ?

I think not.

Completely unfair comparison, no?

Name one actor who's 5 consecutive movie body of work is of that standard.

Any actor would kill for dicaprio's roles and work he's done and the acclaims they received, both critically and commercially.

Soldato
Loved it! Dream partnership of Leo & Nolan! I can also see Tom Hardy going from strength to strength from this, another great actor.

Leo = awesome in my books! His last what 8 films have ALL been excellent from Catch me if you Can, Aviator, Revolutionary Road etc What's a complete shame is we have to wait almost 2yrs for his next film :(
Just seen he is gonna play Dr. Holmes in 'Devil in the White City' which I read earlier this year...interesting!

Caporegime
Loved it! Dream partnership of Leo & Nolan! I can also see Tom Hardy going from strength to strength from this, another great actor.

Leo = awesome in my books! His last what 8 films have ALL been excellent from Catch me if you Can, Aviator, Revolutionary Road etc What's a complete shame is we have to wait almost 2yrs for his next film :(
Just seen he is gonna play Dr. Holmes in 'Devil in the White City' which I read earlier this year...interesting!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000138/

That seems to be the way he work.

Between 1993 to 98 (6 years), he had 12 films out.

The next 11 films took 12 years !

One film at a time, but they are sooooo far spaced apart he must spend a lot of time doing not a lot. Since the actual shooting is normally around 6 months.

Then again, he must get a lot of offers, and can pick the best ones and the studios are prepared to wait for him.

Soldato
Good film with a simple premise at heart. Executed in a...well...simple way.

Like: The acting, obviously. Cinematography was pretty stunning too. Couple of really great (now Nolan trademarked) set pieces...

Disliked: the video game logic, the lack of character development for anyone other than Leo's character and the, at times, clunky dialogue, proving that he's not a patch on his brother as a writer. Oh and the self important smugness of it all. Detracted from it a bit for me.

Not as good as Memento but still, a fine film nevertheless.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Too many plot holes if you believe that, even the original story doesnt shy away from the initial premise that he HAD been to mars.
They only diverge after Recall discover this.

sorry but this is proven a while ago that i think the director or writer of the story even said it and its a common mistake what people think ;)

In the end Verhoeven states quite clearly in the special edition DVD commentary that Quaid is indeed on the table at Rekall living out a fantasy. He points out that the imagery on the screen at Rekall show the alien machine, the girl of his dreams that he asked for and a blue sky over Mars. Verhoven points this out as Quaid is going to sleep. When Quaid\Hauser is confronted by his wife & the Rekall spokesman, Verhoven is quick to point out that the spokesman goes on to detail the entire second half of the movie. Verhoven also says that the movie fades to white instead of the normal fade-to-black due to the fact that Quaid is lobotomized by the Rekall doctors at that point. One can theorize that Verhovens insistence that Quaid was living a fantasy the whole time on the DVD commentary is due to the fact that the sequel that was supposed to star Schwarzenegger as Quaid was scrapped. Therefore there was no need to have the Total Recall story be anything more than the implant gone awry.

Last edited:
Soldato
sorry but this is proven a while ago that i think the director or writer of the story even said it and its a common mistake what people think ;)

In the end Verhoeven states quite clearly in the special edition DVD commentary that Quaid is indeed on the table at Rekall living out a fantasy. He points out that the imagery on the screen at Rekall show the alien machine, the girl of his dreams that he asked for and a blue sky over Mars. Verhoven points this out as Quaid is going to sleep. When Quaid\Hauser is confronted by his wife & the Rekall spokesman, Verhoven is quick to point out that the spokesman goes on to detail the entire second half of the movie. Verhoven also says that the movie fades to white instead of the normal fade-to-black due to the fact that Quaid is lobotomized by the Rekall doctors at that point. One can theorize that Verhovens insistence that Quaid was living a fantasy the whole time on the DVD commentary is due to the fact that the sequel that was supposed to star Schwarzenegger as Quaid was scrapped. Therefore there was no need to have the Total Recall story be anything more than the implant gone awry.

Exactly. The fade to white is often used as cue to symbolise the end of a dream or a fantasy.

Associate
Imo the movie was terrible, it was simple and boring, but nolan tried to cover it up by trying to confuse the viewer making it all sound complex and cool, action scenes were boring, script was boring, no good character development (all 2d/boring), you can sum up the whole concept in a 5 minute scene but they just spent 3/4 of the film explaining things. Building up music constantly through the film that kept getting more and more dramatic building suspense that is never there :p

Leo was good, visuals were good, but EVERYTHING else was terrible. (IMO ofc)

Last edited:
Associate
1) Far, far too much dialogue.
2) Complicated doesn't mean intelligent. It was just needlessly complex. The film could have been an hour shorter and not lost anything.
3) If you're going to make a film about dreams, you have a chance to make a film that's beautiful, surreal, and mind bendingly weird (not just mind bendingly convoluted). This dream machine makes people have the most boring dreams ever. The limbo visuals were OK, I suppose. Nolan must just dream about walking around generic cityscapes talking reams of unnecessary dialogue. I went in expecting a film about dreams and ended up watching a heist film in a frock.
4) Everyone talks like they have a 300 IQ. Everyone has a plan for everything, just like in The Dark Knight. Everyone spends ages droning on about the details of said plans (Refer to point 1)

Oh, and Total Recall is one of my favourite films.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom