Indoor rowing - Concept 2

Associate
I've restarted Pete's plan for the 3rd time now with the hope to keep it going without having knee problems. I've spent the last two years sitting at a computer though that I've decided to half the distance or sets though. ie. Instead of doing 6 x500m /2min rest, I'll do 3x500 with 2min rest. 6k becomes 3k etc.

Currently trying to get back into a healthy routine for things so here's to actually sticking with it long term. :)

Soldato
Good luck with it. This is 2nd time round for me. I got to week 13, ditched it for Rowvember from DarkHorse and the week off after it kinda went on and on :cry:.

Will stick with it this time though. The last week is coincidentally timed for the week before I go on holiday so will get a nice 2 week break right after week 24 before I get back into it.

Associate
I row on a C2 + on the wet stuff but constant sub 2min 500ms have always been out of reach. Tried Rowvember a couple of times but sticking to hitting 1million metres this year, it's not much when you break it down but it's "something" at least!

Soldato
Never rowed on the water so no idea how I would do there.

I may have sub 2:00 500m splits due to the resistance level set at 3 or 4 (I forget which) but no way to measure what drag this gives as a comparison (JTX Ignite Air machine)

Once I have completed the 24 weeks I will put it to about 6.or so and see how I go. I'm keeping it the same as it is so I can see any improvements over the course.

I managed 8.2km in 30 mins this morning with AVG splits of 1:49/500m.

I normally do it in the evening but I am off work this week so decided to do it in the morning. It's quite interesting to see that the same level exercise I find more difficult to do in the morning than I do in the evening.

Soldato
I normally do it in the evening but I am off work this week so decided to do it in the morning. It's quite interesting to see that the same level exercise I find more difficult to do in the morning than I do in the evening.

I'm really not a morning person but usually do my sessions in the morning before work. I definitely struggle more than doing the same session in the evening! When I've done races before, they've been early in the morning which is a killer.

Soldato
Just finished week 17 which is the first week I completed the 3 core + 2 optionals:

10500m - 38:32
8 x 500m / 2min rest - 12:49 (move time, 4km)
2 x 15min / 2min rest - 8.35km
[30min] - 8.4km
[4 x 8min / 2min rest] - 8.9km

The 2 min rest are really only 1 min else the computer switches off :cry:

I'm averaging about 1:48 on the longer pieces (time and distances over 8k or 25 mins).

Used to struggle with getting 5km under 19 min but I can see it just under 18 mins if I did 5km as the full distance workout.

Soldato
Anyone here had any success with selling a rowing machine? If so, where?
Reason being that I’m looking to sell my Concept2 as I’ve not really taken to it, and it’s taking up space and I’ve realised I prefer running and other activities. It’s probably only had about 60km on it.

Associate
Anyone here had any success with selling a rowing machine? If so, where?
Reason being that I’m looking to sell my Concept2 as I’ve not really taken to it, and it’s taking up space and I’ve realised I prefer running and other activities. It’s probably only had about 60km on it.
Funnily enough I was looking at a C2 the last week or so. There are several on eBay for decent money, none as far as I can see up as Buy it now.
How much do you think you’ll want for it?

Last edited:
Soldato
Funnily enough I was looking at a C2 the last week or so. There are several on eBay for decent money, none as far as I can see up as Buy it now.
How much do you think you’ll want for it?
So sorry mate, I hadn’t looked at this thread in a while. I was going to send you a message but you don’t have ‘Conversations’ on. I’m really loathe to sell mine on eBay as I’ve had some crap experiences. So a forum member would be cool.

Associate
So sorry mate, I hadn’t looked at this thread in a while. I was going to send you a message but you don’t have ‘Conversations’ on. I’m really loathe to sell mine on eBay as I’ve had some crap experiences. So a forum member would be cool.

No worries. I can’t see how to turn it on I’m afraid but could be interested if you can’t find a buyer elsewhere.

Soldato
Pete's Plan was completed before I went on holiday. I've come and decided to restart the plan again but increase the resistance level from 3 to 6 (out of a possible 9 on the JTX rower)

It's quite amazing how, what initially seems a little more resistance, it really takes its toll on even 5K distance.

It added a good 1:15 to my 5K time from level 3 and I was knackered....

I will follow the plan as last time (3 workouts till week 8 then 4 workouts till week 16 to finish the last ⅓ of the 24 week workout with 5 workouts a week.

Might even do it all again for a 3rd time at level 9 resistance depending how it goes :cry:

Soldato
I'm still plugging away post op! I was working on getting my stamina levels back and I'm currently doing about 160k metres a month. My pace is still way down from my 2021 pre-injury pace though and motivation is harder during the winter but hopefully come summer I should be there or thereabouts.

Soldato
I hop on the Concept once or twice a week at the gym when not running or lifting.

Normally manage around 2:02/500m average over 30mins on resistance 7 (I know the machines vary). Would like to get the average under 2mins but not sure I have it in me. :o

Associate
I hop on the Concept once or twice a week at the gym when not running or lifting.

Normally manage around 2:02/500m average over 30mins on resistance 7 (I know the machines vary). Would like to get the average under 2mins but not sure I have it in me. :o
Not knowing your age that's pretty decent I would say.

If you go below 2min that's 75th percentile.

Soldato

It might be worth trying it with a lower damper setting. On the PM, if you go to More Options then Display Drag Factor you can do a few pulls and see what it is set to. I aim for about 110-115 which is usually about the 5. What stroke rate do you do your SS sessions at?

Soldato
It might be worth trying it with a lower damper setting. On the PM, if you go to More Options then Display Drag Factor you can do a few pulls and see what it is set to. I aim for about 110-115 which is usually about the 5. What stroke rate do you do your SS sessions at?
I'm not sure tbh. I think my Garmin will do it.

I'll check the above when I'm next in and see if I can record stroke rate.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom