Indoor rowing - Concept 2

The JTX I have only had damper settings 1-9.. did they update it and give less levels? :confused: (JTX Ignite so might be that)
Is the damper setting on yours a mechanical selector like the C2? I ask as on mine, it's a selection on the computer and then it changes the magnetic resistance based in what you select from 1-16.

Ah, yeah mine is a mechanical selector on the fan unit itself.

You'll be right about the C2 idea as they mention on their website that the Ignite Air is designed to be the C2 equivalent.... I only went for it as I needed the longer rail for my lanky legs and I was worried the Freedom Air would be a little too short for me :cry:

Wow, when it rains, it pours.

Rower developed a loose power connector, so power delivery was intermittent to magnetic resistance and display, got glue out, fixed it, all good.
Then one of the foot rests snapped as I tightened the strap, no worries, bit of duct tape, all good.
Then a short way into the row, the retraction stopped, slack chain and although it's retracting, it's not doing it at any usable speed and any strength to be fucntional.

It's essentially dead unless I can tinker and figure out what's causing the problem with retraction, took it apart already but nothing seems obvious. With that said, it's close to 6 years old, had a fair bit of use across 3 of us in the house (myself, wife and brother in law) and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another JTX rower.

Broke my 500m PB (1:37.3) which I got in around 2015.

1:35.9
Came out well too fast (for me) at something like 1:28 pace and quickly went downhill
Not too bad to say i'm 39 in October

UVsabjp.jpg

Back on the rower after holiday and injury.... 6 weeks off and it shows.

Tried to do 5k and managed 2.5k, 9:52.

I didn't plan to take so much time off but a sprained wrist/palm put pay to that. Will be restarting Pete's Plan but doing 5x per week instead of 3.

Hoping to catch my fitness back up as I was managing 10k in 37:28 before I stopped.

Am planning on buying a rower in Spain when we get over there. My wife insists there's no space in the van!

Would ideally like a water rower. Has anyone any experience of the cheaper ones? I'm not aiming for splits, it'll mainly be 5km+ constant efforts.

I saw this on Amazon and it *looks* alright, on the basis i'm aware it'll be MDF and veneered rather than better quality. Their website makes them look half decent, but then i also note they dropship from China

Last edited:
Am planning on buying a rower in Spain when we get over there. My wife insists there's no space in the van!

Would ideally like a water rower. Has anyone any experience of the cheaper ones? I'm not aiming for splits, it'll mainly be 5km+ constant efforts.

I saw this on Amazon and it *looks* alright, on the basis i'm aware it'll be MDF and veneered rather than better quality. Their website makes them look half decent, but then i also note they dropship from China

I've got a Water Rower and that one looks ridiculously close (down to the location of the screws and the rubber feet!). It's also kept one of my favourite things - the upright storage. It means it takes up a small amount of space when not being used. I have heard horror stories of the cheaper ones leaking but I can't say for sure with that particular one.

Back on my Concept 2 and getting into it again. What are decent times/distances? I'm a lot slower than I used to be but I'm the wrong side of 50 now :cry:

That seems an awfully fast SPM... I realise shorter people will have a slightly higher spm than taller people given their stroke length will be shorter but still...

As a comparison I tend to do the following on 5km+ distances:

22spm
1:53/500 (roughly 7m30s/2000m)

I tend to find that, if I increase by spm to around 28, I don't actually reduce my splits. Almost like, although I am doing more SPM, I'm putting less pull effort into each stroke.

Might be worth looking at your form?

Last edited:
That seems an awfully fast SPM... I realise shorter people will have a slightly higher spm than taller people given their stroke length will be shorter but still...

As a comparison I tend to do the following on 5km+ distances:

22spm
1:53/500 (roughly 7m30s/2000m)

I tend to find that, if I increase by spm to around 28, I don't actually reduce my splits. Almost like, although I am doing more SPM, I'm putting less pull effort into each stroke.

Might be worth looking at your form?
I'll give it a good look in the morning. I usually do some after a 30 min power walk with the dog! I'm 5'9" so not built like a professional rower. 7m30s seems pretty good. I'll see what time I can do putting some effort in. I've mainly just been trying to get used to it again so no structure to what I've done.

Make sure you dont have the resistance right up... Around 3-4 is fine.

Try the Pete's Plan which has a 24 week programme to get going. As it says, if you can't do 5km from week 1, just follow the plan but half the distances or time e.g.

Week 1
Day 1 = 5000m
Day 2 = 6 x 500m / 2min rest
Day 3 = 5000m
Optional Day 4 = [20min]
Optional Day 5 = [2 x 10min / 2min rest]

Becomes

Week 1
Day 1 = 2500m
Day 2 = 3 x 500m / 2min rest
Day 3 = 2500m
Optional Day 4 = [10min]
Optional Day 5 = [2 x 5min / 2min rest]

Once you've built upto the 10k week (which becomes your 5k) you can start at Week 1 again and do the full distances/times

Last edited:
Make sure you dont have the resistance right up... Around 3-4 is fine.

Try the Pete's Plan which has a 24 week programme to get going. As it says, if you can't do 5km from week 1, just follow the plan but half the distances or time e.g.

Week 1
Day 1 = 5000m
Day 2 = 6 x 500m / 2min rest
Day 3 = 5000m
Optional Day 4 = [20min]
Optional Day 5 = [2 x 10min / 2min rest]

Becomes

Week 1
Day 1 = 2500m
Day 2 = 3 x 500m / 2min rest
Day 3 = 2500m
Optional Day 4 = [10min]
Optional Day 5 = [2 x 5min / 2min rest]

Once you've built upto the 10k week (which becomes your 5k) you can start at Week 1 again and do the full distances/times
Cheers I'll have a good look at that. Currently got it set to 5. Back in the day I used to just have it set at 10 all the time! I used to run 10K's but injured a tendon in my left leg and had absolutely no luck with the NHS so switched to rowing.

Cheers I'll have a good look at that. Currently got it set to 5. Back in the day I used to just have it set at 10 all the time! I used to run 10K's but injured a tendon in my left leg and had absolutely no luck with the NHS so switched to rowing.
If you're 5'9, you're probably a lightweight so about 110 to 120 is a good drag factor to aim for. Depending on your machine and how dusty it is etc, that could be anything from about 4 to 8! I'm a similar height and 70kg and mine is set to 115. I usually hit 23 SPM for steady state sessions, 25 or so for hard distance and about 30 for sprints.

Last edited:
If you're 5'9, you're probably a lightweight so about 110 to 120 is a good drag factor to aim for. Depending on your machine and how dusty it is etc, that could be anything from about 4 to 8! I'm a similar height and 70kg and mine is set to 115. I usually hit 23 SPM for steady state sessions, 25 or so for hard distance and about 30 for sprints.
Ok that's interesting to know cheers. A setting of 5 may be about right then, bought during lockdown and I keep it covered up when not in use. I'm about 76kg, I'll take note of the SPM this morning and see where I'm at.

Just finished.
Resistance Setting 5
Distance 2000m
Time 9:16
SPM 31 - that was taking care to use long strokes
AVE/400m 2:19

That warmed me up!

Back
Top Bottom