Inline temperature sensors

Associate
I've ordered one too! not bad for less than £30 delivered. Brand is Bykski if anyone wants to know. Only one out there that does flow and temps. Had no idea they could produce an audible noise. Will have to try it out in a test loop before cutting hard tube to fit.

Associate
OP
That's what I did with my AQ6 when I went from a Corsair (loads of 5.25 bays) to my Phanteks (no bays). I mounted the "Lite" version on a tray in the back of the PC.
This is what I’ve done at the moment. I need to figure out cabling as it’s messier than I’d like!
I’ve got the option of using an Octo but there are limitations from what I can understand. I use the software sensors and alarms which the Octo doesn’t support.
I’ve got a Vision display on one of my monitor arms so relocating the LCD from the aquaero isn’t a necessity.

Soldato
I have the barrow temp senser that will shut down the pc if your water gets to hot due to pump failure,not installed yet but at least I have the option of the alarm to let me know there is a problem,also bought the alphacool flow wheel so that I can see the water flowing.

Soldato
I’ve got the option of using an Octo but there are limitations from what I can understand. I use the software sensors and alarms which the Octo doesn’t support.

What makes you say that? It runs on USB via the AquaSuite software, I can't see why it wouldn't use software sensors.

It's also got a hardware alarm output which you can do all sorts with, like triggering the motherboard alarm via the CPU alarm header, shutdown your PC etc.

Associate
OP
What makes you say that? It runs on USB via the AquaSuite software, I can't see why it wouldn't use software sensors.

It's also got a hardware alarm output which you can do all sorts with, like triggering the motherboard alarm via the CPU alarm header, shutdown your PC etc.
You can’t use software temperature sensors with it like you can with the aquaero. I’ve used a software sensor as a temp difference between the ambient average temp (inlet fan sensor and external temp sensor average) and the water temp to give me a Delta temp that is used for curve control on fan speed. The Octo doesn’t have the ability to create software sensors. You can cludge something together in the playground but it’s not as easy.

I’ve not looked into the alarms in detail yet, I’m now trying to understand why my flow numbers seem so low!

Associate
OP
What values are you seeing?
With the pump at 100% 47 l/h
90% the flow meter reports 32 l/h.
80% the flow meter reports 25 l/h.
70% the flow meter reports 20 l/h.
60% the flow meter reports Intermittent readings, either 0 or 14 l/h.
50% the flow meter reports 0 l/h.

The temperatures all seem good, but the flow rate seems off.

Associate
OP
It’s a MPS USB high. I’ve taken the thing apart and checked for blockages as suggested by aquacomputer. It all looks good from what I can see.
I’m wondering if I’ve done something wrong/overly restrictive with the loop layout
This was before adding the bracket for the sensor so the section under the graphics card is horizontal now.
AFFA3BEB-B964-485D-B07C-15CBAB2E074E.jpeg

Soldato
Teeny tiny thread hijack.

Could some recommend me an inline temp sensor? It doesn't need to be a fancy one with a display as i'll be connecting it to my Aquaero.

Also, is there an optimal place in the loop for it?

Thanks

Associate
OP

Could some recommend me an inline temp sensor? It doesn't need to be a fancy one with a display as i'll be connecting it to my Aquaero.

Thanks

i use aqua computer part number 53067. As for where to put it, it kinda doesn’t matter, the loop temperature doesn’t vary by a whole lot. I have one inside of the MPS which is before the CPU and one on the rad inlet, there’s about a degree difference.

Don
It’s a MPS USB high. I’ve taken the thing apart and checked for blockages as suggested by aquacomputer. It all looks good from what I can see.
I’m wondering if I’ve done something wrong/overly restrictive with the loop layout
This was before adding the bracket for the sensor so the section under the graphics card is horizontal now.
AFFA3BEB-B964-485D-B07C-15CBAB2E074E.jpeg
Take it you've selected the calibration in the Aquaero for your specific model of sensor?

~40l/hr is basically at the minimum it can measure, but your pump should really be in the 300+ l/hr I would guess for that loop, so I think the controller is set up with the wrong pulse/litre figure as a minimum.

Don

Thanks
I'm using an Aquacomputer MPS Flow 400 (don't bother with the 100 or 200 they're too low flow measurement for a typical loop).

Associate
OP
Take it you've selected the calibration in the Aquaero for your specific model of sensor?

~40l/hr is basically at the minimum it can measure, but your pump should really be in the 300+ l/hr I would guess for that loop, so I think the controller is set up with the wrong pulse/litre figure as a minimum.

the sensor is connected via usb and aquabus at the moment. Under MPS/System the only option is to set the device type which defaults to “high flow USB (53129)” there’s no configuration at all for the device other than that, there is for the other flow sensors but AC say that this one needs nothing changing.

the same options but different device number are available under Aquabus. Both report the same flow numbers.

Soldato
You can’t use software temperature sensors with it like you can with the aquaero. I’ve used a software sensor as a temp difference between the ambient average temp (inlet fan sensor and external temp sensor average) and the water temp to give me a Delta temp that is used for curve control on fan speed. The Octo doesn’t have the ability to create software sensors. You can cludge something together in the playground but it’s not as easy.

I’ve not looked into the alarms in detail yet, I’m now trying to understand why my flow numbers seem so low!

I don't think this is the case mate, it's essentially the same as the OCTO which according to AC:

O"can process up to 16 software sensors. These sensor values must be temperature but with the Virtual Software Sensors feature from the playground you can also easily convert incompatible data into a fake temperature. For example you could use a calculation that converts the speed signal of a fan into a temperatue like 1200 rpm / 50 = 24°."

QUADRO could be different I guess?

Associate
OP
I've done some more investigation on this and think the issue is my cpu block.
I've drained the system again and reconnected the display to the aquaero and locked it to only show pump flow.
At 100% with the flow going from the reservoir -> flow sensor -> reservoir I get 570 l/ph
If I put the CPU block back in so it's reservoir -> flow sensor -> reservoir I get 40 l/ph again.

Soldato
Are you using DP Ultra in your loop?
Aquacomputer kit is pretty sensitive about what coolant you use, as DPU is about 20-25% glycol whereas most others like Mayhems is closer to 40%. My German isn't great and neither is Google Translate, but by most accounts it really does make that much of a difference, as any restrictions in your loop will be magnified by thicker fluids.

Associate
OP
Are you using DP Ultra in your loop?
Aquacomputer kit is pretty sensitive about what coolant you use, as DPU is about 20-25% glycol whereas most others like Mayhems is closer to 40%. My German isn't great and neither is Google Translate, but by most accounts it really does make that much of a difference, as any restrictions in your loop will be magnified by thicker fluids.
No, I'm using the ek fluid that came in the kit at the moment.

Associate
OP
After a productive morning of taking it apart and putting it all back together again I'm now seeing a flow rate of 290l/h with the loop complete.
It looks like I made a mistake during the swapping of the backplate on the water block from intel to AMD. I think at some point during the original assembly I inadvertently rotated the base of the copper block. Now I need to see if I can quieten the flow sensor!!

Back
Top Bottom