Insulate Britain and Extinction Rebellion, domestic terrorists?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

So still freeloading then.

Don't worry cupcake, I'll carry on working so you can blag every penny from the system <3

(all mockery aside, it does make me wonder who the mug is in this scenario, and I think it might well be me - problem is I couldn't live with myself :()
Well, I probably paid more in taxes by the time I was 36 than you will by the time you retire........

And if you think getting a 7k student loan while doing a degree is "blagging the system" then I want some of what you are smoking. Do you think students are all driving around in Ferraris or something?

Caporegime
Well, I probably paid more in taxes by the time I was 36 than you will by the time you retire........

And if you think getting a 7k student loan while doing a degree is "blagging the system" then I want some of what you are smoking. Do you think students are all driving around in Ferraris or something?
You've told us many time that you received a lot more than £7k.

And you've basically said you've been gaming the system (more than once). Last time we spoke about it you basically said, "Hate the game, not the player. I'll take what the system allows me to."

You clearly didn't need the money (you've made it clear that you've made a lot of money/retired early), but then you choose to get multiple higher education degrees (etc) and have the state/us pay for them.

So yeah, his point is completely valid.

Caporegime

Oh my, I missed this! What a doozy, mister "I bend every single rule and knowingly do it to abuse the system pls pay my bills ktnx" wants to lecture me on paying tax? Really? :D

I'd offer you a shovel to help with your digging but I suspect the amount of dirt you want to move requires a JCB :D

Upon which you'd obviously claim back taxes and expenses.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

You've told us many time that you received a lot more than £7k.

I think my total loan balance is around 70k, but that didn't all go to me as that includes tuition fees that went to the uni etc.

And my income tax payments were all paye, so little chance of bending the rules there. Unless you think maxing out pension conts, tax free isas and schemes like bike to work are bending the system etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I'm no physicist, but if it's harder for heat to escape, shouldn't it be harder for the heat to get in, as well? :p
Yes and no, while that's correct for a modern super insulated new build, those aren't the types of house that the insulate Britain morons are attempting to harass the government into insulating, that would be older houses.

You see there's a common misconception that old houses (particularly Victorian) are draughty and poorly designed, this is untrue, what they actually are is (by modern standards) very well ventilated. This is the reason that a person will get ill less living in a house built in 1910 than they would living in a house built in 2010 (due to the increased risk of Sick building syndrome). This of course makes them more expensive to heat (as it's harder to keep the heat in) but also cheaper to cool if you require cooling. If the government did bend to IB's demands and super insulate all the old houses then there would be a CO2 reduction from heating them less it's true, but there would also be a CO2 increase from the additional air conditioning used to cool some of them (I says some as most people won't be able to afford to have air conditioning installed to fix their house now being warmer in winter).

Soldato
Many new houses have too much insulation and they get condensation and mould issues. Older houses were much better built and things were actually thought about (other than maxing profits). In the old days they were designed by architects who did know what they were doing, even 100+ years ago. Now it's accountants.

You can't just insulate the crap out of everything.

Last edited:
Associate
Many new houses have too much insulation and they get condensation and mould issues. Older houses were much better built and things were actually thought about (other than maxing profits). In the old days they were designed by architects who did know what they were doing, even 100+ years ago. Now it's accountants.

You can't just insulate the crap out of everything.

Is that even true? Sounds like the owners aren't airing the house enough or property was poorly built. Never heard of new builds with this issue.

Man of Honour
Is that even true? Sounds like the owners aren't airing the house enough or property was poorly built. Never heard of new builds with this issue.

It's a myth spread by luddites. It also totally ignores the fact that the vast majority of period homes were built en masse cookie cutter style from a few standard designs.

Soldato
It's a myth spread by luddites. It also totally ignores the fact that the vast majority of period homes were built en masse cookie cutter style from a few standard designs.

Not really, the materials and methods arent as good as they used to be. It was quite obvious when I was house hunting. Also you get next to no garden or storage space in new homes.

Notice the lack of wall sockets as well, that is for "eco" reasons. Its the first thing people start installing when they move in.

Man of Honour
Not really, the materials and methods arent as good as they used to be. It was quite obvious when I was house hunting. Also you get next to no garden or storage space in new homes.

Notice the lack of wall sockets as well, that is for "eco" reasons. Its the first thing people start installing when they move in.

I own an Edwardian town house, I've previously owned a modern home built to modern standards. Your reasoning and logic is flawed.

Are you really suggesting that (for example) single skin brick or stone and horse hair plaster was a better approach for building houses than modern one?

Caporegime
I have no idea what I'm talking about

There we go, fixed that for you. Look, we all know you love to have a bit of input in things you know nothing about, generally with mixed results and often to great comedic effect, but please at least try to get your facts straight before stating your rubbish as facts.

Do you even know what r-value is?

Go google that, do a bit of reading, then come back with a bit of factual stuff, not whatever rubbish you sucked out your thumb today.

Caporegime

No, not at all. If that happens it means that the house has inadequate ventilation or is just a rubbish design / wrong materials.

Man of Honour
No, not at all. If that happens it means that the house has inadequate ventilation or is just a rubbish design / wrong materials.

Or the most common one, the occupants are using it wrong, doing the wrong things and blaming everything but their own behaviour.

Caporegime

I have seen photographic evidence of somebody moving in to a new build and noticing mould all over the place in the kitchen, 1 day after receiving the keys.

It was a Crest Nicolson home

243689696_1228732857626911_643865610915214726_n.jpg

243377855_1228732770960253_8230183640004133181_n.jpg

Caporegime
Or the most common one, the occupants are using it wrong, doing the wrong things and blaming everything but their own behaviour.

Very common problem. Here at my work, where I'm responsible for all the HVAC in a 21 floor tower, we have concrete core cooling, which is the opposite of underfloor heating. In effect it just cools the "skeleton" of the building, reducing the need for smaller localised units. It works well, however in the past we've had people who think that simply increasing the flow of chilled water through the pipework is how you increase the cooling on the floors, when in reality all this does is shoot straight past the dew-point causing loads of droplets of water on the ceiling. You're effectively causing condensation on a 21 story building :p

The White Collar Factory approach is to use passive environmental controls where possible, and a method called concrete core cooling has been introduced: chilled water pipes embedded in the reinforced concrete slabs provide radiant cooling, enhancing the natural effect of the thermal mass, and chilled water at 15°C is passed through the pipes, cooling the slab to around 20°C. The technique is used widely in Germany and Holland but less so in the UK, and never before on a London office.

https://www.ingenia.org.uk/ingenia/issue-69/built-on-principles-white-collar-factory

It annoys me when you get people talking factually about things they know nothing about. If you don't know something, ask. No such thing as a stupid question and you might learn something rather than give people wrong information and make yourself look a bit dim in the eyes of those who do know their stuff.

Back
Top Bottom