• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel 10th Gen Comet Lake thread

Associate
Gen 4.0 currently makes no difference for GPUs.

What about for storage? After being put off by Ryzen 5000, I am now looking to get a 10600K with a Z490 mbobo then drop in 11900K when they launch to get me to DRR5/PCie gen 5 in a couple years time. There is a lot of misinformation out there on AMD advantage and the real benefit of PCI gen 4

Associate
What about for storage?
Nobody knows how long it will take RTX_IO or directstorage to be implemented on PC - but it will likely be a thing as it is in the consoles. Whether PCs actually need to the same extend is not clear either. But potentially on a PCI-E 4 device it could use an additional 7gb/s of bandwidth.

I have been looking at the same system as you. The whole drop a rocket lake into a z490 board and get PCI-E 4 does worry me a bit. I can imagine some last minute changes from Intel putting the brakes on it all.

Associate
I have been looking at the same system as you. The whole drop a rocket lake into a z490 board and get PCI-E 4 does worry me a bit. I can imagine some last minute changes from Intel putting the brakes on it all.

I was imagine I would have to replace the Z490 mobo to get PCIe gen 4. Is that not the case? I was thinking maybe to recycle the 10600K into a NAS or SFF then it be better to get an ITX board even though it be swimming in a full size case. But if the Z490 mobo with rocket lake will get PCIe 4, I will just get a full size ATX board and be done with it.

Associate
I was imagine I would have to replace the Z490 mobo to get PCIe gen 4. Is that not the case? I was thinking maybe to recycle the 10600K into a NAS or SFF then it be better to get an ITX board even though it be swimming in a full size case. But if the Z490 mobo with rocket lake will get PCIe 4, I will just get a full size ATX board and be done with it.
Quite a few of the mobos have pci-e 4 baked in as I think comet lake was supposed to support. A quick Google and you can find out the ones which have it

Soldato
What about for storage? After being put off by Ryzen 5000, I am now looking to get a 10600K with a Z490 mbobo then drop in 11900K when they launch to get me to DRR5/PCie gen 5 in a couple years time. There is a lot of misinformation out there on AMD advantage and the real benefit of PCI gen 4
This vid shows gaming tests on PCIe gen 3.0, gen 4.0, SATA and HDD

Associate
Couldn't wait. Ordered a tomahawk mobo and 10850k this afternoon from OCUK:eek:.

Will i get it tomorrow:confused:.

I'll use my 3000mhz corsair and cooler for the time being.

4 years since my 6700k was bought so its lasted well.

Would the 10850k be hard to keep cool.? I'm thinking of getting one.

Thanks

Associate
Thanks,no I don't intend to overclock, what temps should it run at?
Thanks
Depends on what you use it for.
If you use it for an extended time with tasks that fully load all cores 100% it will consume up to 250W.
But for gaming where the cores are less heavily and consistently loaded it doesn't sound so bad.
The graph below is from just one review so look at others.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-10850k/18.html

power-gaming.png

Actual temps will vary depending on other factors so getting a sense of real world wattage helps to compare with other chips.

Associate
Depends on what you use it for.
If you use it for an extended time with tasks that fully load all cores 100% it will consume up to 250W.
But for gaming where the cores are less heavily and consistently loaded it doesn't sound so bad.
The graph below is from just one review so look at others.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-10850k/18.html

Actual temps will vary depending on other factors so getting a sense of real world wattage helps to compare with other chips.

Thanks for that smilingcrow, no games, its for video editing and encoding

Associate
Then you want Ryzen

For sure.

Aye, I'm still undecided, (that's because I haven't a clue :) ) a good few have recommended Ryzen.

My first thoughts were the 3900x then the i7-10700K then the 10850k, I looked at the new AMD CPUs announced the other day and reading the posts maybe stick to the 3900x and if I wanted to swap out the CPU at a later date, I could.

I don't need rocket speed, just something that will cope a lot better with 4k, than my current 2700K :)

Thanks.

Soldato
Going from Sandy Bridge you'll see a big jump with a Ryzen 3000. 8 cores would be plenty so grab a 3700X and a decent X570 or B550 motherboard. You have the option then of going to Ryzen 5000 in the future. 3600MHz RAM too.

Associate
So you're going to pay twice for inferior hardware just because AMD dropped 50 bucks on their new CPUs? I really don't think you've thought this through have you.

If there was a 5700X I would get that. But there is only 5800X which is basically an early adopter tax for 4K gamers.

I need to get base gaming system built (CPU, Mobo and RAM) for gaming season. My sandy lake system died 18 months ago and have been waiting and getting by with a NUC (quad core) and eGPU enclosure with a 2080ti FE. I have a 4K monitor. I have uninvested in the PC ecosystem for the last 2-3 years. Isn’t the beauty of PC that you can upgrade components overtime

The 10600K would get reused in a SFF/NAS which I will need to build

Back
Top Bottom