• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel 11400 - a gem for gamers?

Soldato
The important lanes are the CPU, so 16+4, the chipset only has an 8x PCI-E 3.0 link to the CPU so having more than 8 lanes is almost pointless unless you just like connecting stuff and it sitting going unused, especially if it is primarily a gaming machine that does little else, but coming from X99 maybe you genuinely need those lanes.

I've used quite a few B560 boards so far, and can confidently say unless you like paying for looks, then ~£100 will get you a board that is way more than good enough for the 11400 to perform at its best, my favourite so far is the excellent MSI B560M PRO-VDH WIFI, looks naff, has decent features, and good VRM. If you want better audio, USB-C port/TB 4.0 and other stuff then you might want to spend a bit more on the MSI MAG B560M MORTAR WIFI.

If it only a stop gap system as you say, I don't see why you'd spend a fortune on anything fancy tbh. :)

Ah so, if there is only an x8 link, I guess anything above 8 all shares bandwidth, so can't use it all at the same time.

Lanes are basically the same. 11400 is 20 + the x8 link then (even if it is technically 12 via the chipset), 5820k is 28 + a couple of x1 via chipset (at least on my board). I don't use all the lanes anyway. I have my 1070ti, an x4 nvme and an x1 capture card. I would basically just need the same. Possibly will upgrade to an x4 card at some point, so need a second x16 (wired at x4) just to keep that open. Only reason I'm on x99 is because the retailers/intel were taking the **** and the 5820k setup was cheaper than a 6700k setup, that's all.

MSI MAG B560M MORTAR WIFI does have an extra x16 slot, so that's a possiblity. The Asrock steel legend b560 seems nice for the money as well (£130), so little cheaper than the mortar, but no wifi (hardwired anyway). Sound on most/a lot of intel boards I suppose is technically a downgrade, ALC1150 on the x99 board vs alc897, which I assume is technically worse, but even a lot of z590 use that, so probably ok. Lots of choice at around that price point £100-130 to look at.

Looks don't really matter, I don't have a window, so can't see inside my case anyway. Seems like a worthwhile jump, even at £130 to 150 for a board, still change out of £400 for cpu, 16gb and board. Have a d15s, so will happily boost all day with powerlimits off. Just reluctant to spend without reviews, every motherboard I've had has had a proper review.

No rush, plenty to think about, still undecided between this and zen 3. Completely different ballpark money wise I know, original plan was zen 3, but stock issues and then this coming out to glowing reviews (for the price) and being adequate for what I need started to pull me this way.

@Armadillo i love your signature.

:D, just wanted something a bit different to the usual sort of signatures most have :D.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Asrock steel legend b560 seems nice for the money as well

I've got a Steel Legend B460M with a 10900 in there, totally happy with it. I'm looking at another Intel build in a couple of months time and the B560 Steel Legend will be my default choice for that, although as always I'll check the market at that time to see if anything else might be a better choice.

Associate
Yup, even Rainforest US have it out of stock, arriving May 4 -10.

Remember the Pentium G series chips? every mainstream reviewer were recommending them as a $100 budget option, and then they went out of stock globally rarely to be seen again, the problem with CPU's in this price range is they don't make any money and if you sell a lot of them they drag down your margins, investors don't like that, so production of them is culled.

My G4560 was under £50.

Paired it with a Radeon 550 for the monitor outputs and it still runs stuff at low - medium settings 1080p quite well.

I don't need 6c/12t for my backup rig though, I'll see if next gen adds any updated I3s or Pentiums.

Soldato
I went for the ASUS 560-f rog strip WiFi.

I used ASUs for my 6700k and the onboard sound was good. This has similar chip so that’s why I went for it.

will be using 3080 and nvmr 4x so hopefully board can handle it

Soldato
just finished building it and happy so far with it. the sound is as good or better than my previous Asus that i used with 6700k (5 year old). Will report more once i have had a test

Soldato
if i want to disable the power limits to OC the processor is it simply just selecting ENABLED for ASUS Performance Enhancement and that is all on Asus Board?

Is there any other tweaks i can be doing?

Soldato
Yea i heard the sound on a lot of the b560 boards arnt too good, that you need to get a much higher priced mb to get a good sound chipset.

Sound is alc 897 on most b560, same as a lot of the cheap z590. Looking about it seems only the rog strix and the auros pro ax have anything different. Strix has asus custom alc 1220 and gigabyte alc4080, which is apparently just the 1220 but different interface.

Auros pro ax is cheaper than the strix at £170. Don't see anything else with anything other than alc897 yet.

Associate
Just get a £50 or so external soundcard or DAW interface and never use onboard sound again.

My Asus Z490 itx has a seperate stacking add in board for the soundcard all covered in gold capacitators but I already have a Katana soundbar and berhinger headpone and mic recording thing.

Though I might want to move my soundbar into my lounge after my media room is completed then get some studio monitors for my PC, but those would still plug into the berhinger.

Pentium G4560, 8 Gb ram and Radeon 550 powering a 55" 4K TV finally coming this summer for roffle benchies (will be a streaming setup actually).

Need to find a good TV and Sofa but my media system wont be fitted until August.

I have my £1200 Paypal Finance reserved for any RTX 3080 / 3080 Ti that might be available at any time too, but the last batch couldn't be bought with Paypal!

Last edited:
Soldato
Just get a £50 or so external soundcard or DAW interface and never use onboard sound again.

My Asus Z490 itx has a seperate stacking add in board for the soundcard all covered in gold capacitators but I already have a Katana soundbar and berhinger headpone and mic recording thing.

Though I might want to move my soundbar into my lounge after my media room is completed then get some studio monitors for my PC, but those would still plug into the berhinger.

Pentium G4560, 8 Gb ram and Radeon 550 powering a 55" 4K TV finally coming this summer for roffle benchies (will be a streaming setup actually).

Need to find a good TV and Sofa but my media system wont be fitted until August.

I have my £1200 Paypal Finance reserved for any RTX 3080 / 3080 Ti that might be available at any time too, but the last batch couldn't be bought with Paypal!

Checks thread title

Soldato
Interesting...

Interesting? No, old news, to get the most from it and make it as competitive as possible you ignore 65w, and push it to the 120-140w limits, or beyond if possible. MCE has been around for ages now. If he wants to use a CPU in a box that size then he needs to run the CPU at lower TDP, and if people don't understand how to configure a motherboard then they shouldn't be building a system on their own, or should educate themselves better. Just as well they weren't around in the late 80's early 90's trying to build a 386/486 system, there would be a million videos to watch.

Associate
Perhaps a little harsh in response. I suspect there are plenty of experienced upgraders and overclockers who want a stop gap system and looking at this CPU for what it can do. Either way, to argue that you can get more out of this CPU by tinkering with it, as has it always has been, is hardly a new concept! LOL.

Soldato
Perhaps a little harsh in response. I suspect there are plenty of experienced upgraders and overclockers who want a stop gap system and looking at this CPU for what it can do. Either way, to argue that you can get more out of this CPU by tinkering with it, as has it always has been, is hardly a new concept! LOL.

You say harsh, its just straight to the point IMO.

As for the tinkering the bloke in the Video was complaining about the defaults that are set on the motherboard, so you have to 'tinker' to undo these and make it run at the rated 65w, that was it really. :)

Associate
It does seem a little click bait to say its not that good in the title, but I can understand he's saying what you get is average if you just buy it and put it in....not something OCUKers would do anyway!

Soldato
Quick memory question. Probably going to buy the b560 tomahawk as there is cashback on it (£21 if you buy with 11400/f), it has good reviews and an easy toggle for unlocking power limits. Anyway I was going to buy this memory

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cruc...00c16-3600mhz-dual-channel-kit-my-20q-cr.html

As it seems a safe bet and ballistix seems to have high compatiblity in general, but it's not on the memory list for the board. Other ballistix kits are, but not this specific one. Should still be fine right? Intel still isn't really fussy? or should I try and find something on the list?

Thanks.

Man of Honour
Quick memory question. Probably going to buy the b560 tomahawk as there is cashback on it (£21 if you buy with 11400/f), it has good reviews and an easy toggle for unlocking power limits. Anyway I was going to buy this memory

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cruc...00c16-3600mhz-dual-channel-kit-my-20q-cr.html

As it seems a safe bet and ballistix seems to have high compatiblity in general, but it's not on the memory list for the board. Other ballistix kits are, but not this specific one. Should still be fine right? Intel still isn't really fussy? or should I try and find something on the list?

Thanks.
Yes Should be fine , motherboard manufacturers dont test every make and model of memory.

Stu

Stu

Soldato

Thanks.
That's the exact memory I would buy for that build.

Soldato
So all set up for the most part. Only tested one game (code vein), which is badly optimised and just uses one core, but went from low 70s outside to 110fps in the same area. So a nice uplift over the 5820k at least in that game :).

Back
Top Bottom