• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel 11400 - a gem for gamers?

Associate
I mean, I can look at the graph and make purchasing decisions simply by looking at what the 5600x is pulling in frame rates at stock.. and comparing that back to a 11400F at base power and at max power. Isn't that what this is for? Not to say one chip is better or worse than another, literally just a comparison of performance.

Caporegime
I mean, I can look at the graph and make purchasing decisions simply by looking at what the 5600x is pulling in frame rates at stock.. and comparing that back to a 11400F at base power and at max power. Isn't that what this is for? Not to say one chip is better or worse than another, literally just a comparison of performance.

The response was

So 5%, but not everyone wants to save on the CPU and then use more expensive memory.

The suggestion here is the 5600X is only 5% faster. When you can do the same, or more to the 5600X it isn't, the 5600X has about 15% overclocking head room.

Associate
The response was
The suggestion here is the 5600X is only 5% faster. When you can do the same, or more to the 5600X it isn't, the 5600X has about 15% overclocking head room.
Well, I actually meant there was 5% between 11400 stock and max tweak.
When I wrote that I though faster RAM would be worse price-wise, but even without the extra cost not sure if doubling the power draw for the extra performance is really worth it.
A pity that CB never reviewed any tweaked Zen3, and I though usually they don't have the tweaked figures in the main review like they did here.

Caporegime
Well, I actually meant there was 5% between 11400 stock and max tweak.
When I wrote that I though faster RAM would be worse price-wise, but even without the extra cost not sure if doubling the power draw for the extra performance is really worth it.
A pity that CB never reviewed any tweaked Zen3, and I though usually they don't have the tweaked figures in the main review like they did here.

You don't really find any 5600X overclocked reviews, i'm sure there are a couple out there but so far as i have seen no one has actually made the effort to properly tune it with the Curve Optimiser, boost off sets and PBO tweaks that are available, which is a shame because the 5600X particularity has so much more to give. Its gimped to give the 5800X some distance from it in games. which it in turn is gimped from the 5900X and...

Associate
You don't really find any 5600X overclocked reviews, i'm sure there are a couple out there but so far as i have seen no one has actually made the effort to properly tune it with the Curve Optimiser, boost off sets and PBO tweaks that are available, which is a shame because the 5600X particularity has so much more to give. Its gimped to give the 5800X some distance from it in games. which it in turn is gimped from the 5900X and...

Sorry, but are you serious?
I just literally just googled "5600x review". The first result which comes up is Tom's Hardware, which after a cursory skim through seems to cover Ryzen overclocking and show it compared to stock against all sorts of other CPUs.

Soldato
CB have their review out
https://www.computerbase.de/2021-04/intel-core-i5-11400f-test/2/#diagramm-test-corona-13-benchmark
Power limits seem to make a fair difference:
aPRNX23.png
As does memory clocks
LcXaL88.png
and using their handy hover-over re-calculator:
0sV650u.png
So 5%, but not everyone wants to save on the CPU and then use more expensive memory.

Some very interesting results WRT to memory tweaking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2ruc3eJI80

hALY55n.png

It seems running RAM in Gear1 mode,at lower speeds seems to yield better results.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Only annoying thing is that Windows is throwing a bit of a wobbly with swaping the parts around, especially with program shortcuts. It sounds like the OS is sensitive to the SATA port numbering? I can't really be bothered to open it all up and swap things around though
Is it just drive letters changing that is invalidating shortcuts? That's dead easy to override in Windows, no need to mess with any hardware.

Associate
Impressively fast for the price, was set to get one for a new media server... but thinking about it, it still makes more sense for me to stick with AMD this gen. I can get a B450 board for £80, but I can at least drop my 5800x into it once I upgrade my main rig, but I cant drop a 10900k/11900k into the budget Intel board. Ultimately, that makes it not quite as good value as I'd thought.

Associate
11400 is great and all but I'm still recommending 10400 to friends
yep all cores maxed and 3200 memory you cant go wrong

faster than a ryzen 3600 Games wise in some games your talking 15-20 fps and other similar or 5-10fps

dont know why the ryzen 5600 has even come in the the conversation its a £299 chip a BMW 5 series while we are talking about a Focus

will put that down to Willy Waggling

Soldato
I'm surprised to see only a 12% difference between the Ryzen 3600 and the 11400 at 1080P with an RTX 3090. I would have thought it would be much more than that.

The main takeaway from that video was that RKL seems to be less dependent on highspeed memory kits,compared to CML,when it comes to maxing out performance. So you are basically getting similar results with tuned 2933MHZ DDR4 compared to DDR4 at over 4000MHZ with CML.

Associate
yep all cores maxed and 3200 memory you cant go wrong

dont know why the ryzen 5600 has even come in the the conversation its a £299 chip a BMW 5 series while we are talking about a Focus

will put that down to Willy Waggling

I think an alert must have flagged up somewhere because there was at least one whole page talking about CPUs and it only mentioned Intel, not AMD.
Clearly at that point people stepped in to save us from ourselves.

Associate
I think an alert must have flagged up somewhere because there was at least one whole page talking about CPUs and it only mentioned Intel, not AMD.
Clearly at that point people stepped in to save us from ourselves.

lol pretty much

I was on a i5-6600 untill recently and the 10400 is a massive improvement In multiplayer fps games

runs cool , fast and not power hungry atm sitting at 12.6w with multiple windows open running stuff

think it gets in the 50's when gaming

so if your thinking about a stopgap upgrade its definetly worthwhile

Associate
lol pretty much

I was on a i5-6600 untill recently and the 10400 is a massive improvement In multiplayer fps games

runs cool , fast and not power hungry atm sitting at 12.6w with multiple windows open running stuff

think it gets in the 50's when gaming

so if your thinking about a stopgap upgrade its definetly worthwhile

I'm still deciding what to do. Unless things change financially, I'll probably just wait until the next platform from Intel and Amd as I'm in no rush. I know it will be expensive and buggy at first but it will hopefully push the cost of performance down.
Also I have plans for my old cpu/mb etc. anyway, so I don't need to sell now while they are still worth something.

I suspect in your case the lack of HT was crippling the 6600k. 4C/4T just seems to kill performance on a lot of games, whereas with decent (low latency) memory I can still get good framerates on my 6700k (4C/8T). Also, online multiplayer FPS games are renowned as almost the perfect example of where a game can benefit from lots of cores/threading.

Associate
the lack of HT hit me about a year ago in battlefield v after an update and it was downhill from then

as luck would have it I nakered my arm and spent most of the year unable to play games so :)

Soldato
Based on reviews, thinking of making the jump to one of these as a nice stop gap from 5820k to next gen with ddr5 etc. Mostly to improve the lows. 5820k is about 2600 speed based on benchmarks if heavily overclocked (4.4 or so) and it's a nice jump over that. Also just from keeping an eye on my games, there are enough games I play where the lows at least in some areas are on cpu. Code vein drops from 100 inside to low 70s outside, because of cpu (all low settings no change in fps +rivatuner stats), few areas in gears 5 where the lows where on cpu, city builders/park builders, that sort of game seems to have lows on cpu as well + a few others I can't remember. Also a nice uplift for productivity based on reviews.

So thinking now nice cheapish £300-400 upgrade as a stop gap to ddr5, usb 4 etc + still good enough for a 3060ti if by some miracle they ever appear back in stock.

So when it says b560 is 12 lanes. That's just for the chipset right? 16 from cpu for gpu, 4 for m2, and the 12 are for the chipset for the rest of the stuff to share?
Do we get any b560 reviews? or does everyone stick to the higher end stuff?

Soldato
So when it says b560 is 12 lanes. That's just for the chipset right? 16 from cpu for gpu, 4 for m2, and the 12 are for the chipset for the rest of the stuff to share?
Do we get any b560 reviews? or does everyone stick to the higher end stuff?

The important lanes are the CPU, so 16+4, the chipset only has an 8x PCI-E 3.0 link to the CPU so having more than 8 lanes is almost pointless unless you just like connecting stuff and it sitting going unused, especially if it is primarily a gaming machine that does little else, but coming from X99 maybe you genuinely need those lanes.

I've used quite a few B560 boards so far, and can confidently say unless you like paying for looks, then ~£100 will get you a board that is way more than good enough for the 11400 to perform at its best, my favourite so far is the excellent MSI B560M PRO-VDH WIFI, looks naff, has decent features, and good VRM. If you want better audio, USB-C port/TB 4.0 and other stuff then you might want to spend a bit more on the MSI MAG B560M MORTAR WIFI.

If it only a stop gap system as you say, I don't see why you'd spend a fortune on anything fancy tbh. :)

Back
Top Bottom