• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Arc series unveiled with the Alchemist dGPU to arrive in Q1 2022

Associate
Would you like Intel to do well so that we have 3 gpu brands out there?
I'd say most people would love there to be 3 competing GPU brands.

In fact I have often argued that buying the slightly worse product - as long as it is priced appropriately - is the right thing to do long term. That is, I don't subscribe to the "I only buy what is best for me now, the future does not matter" line of thinking. If a large company with deep pockets suddenly wants to be the consumer's best friend - think Nvidia after overpricing for years suddenly setting a good value price - then I always question that. If the sudden good prices is only to destroy a competitor then we as consumers should also take that into account: cheaper prices are great but predatory pricing so in a few years the dominant player can increase prices without any challenge? That is bad for consumers long term.

Okay, but taking all that into account I do not think I am willing to risk my own money buying Intel the GPU underdog unless I believe by doing so, we'd all get better prices and product in a few years time. Unless AMD the GPU and CPU underdog of a few years ago, Intel are not skint so they foremost have to offer a decent product (and product includes drivers and support in the case of GPUs).

Caporegime
The problem is its not even a duopoly, it is a monopoly.

People who think Intel are the answer to the problems in this space, IMO, are deluded.

Let me give you an example of why we are in this situation.

Hardware Unboxed reviewing the RX 6500, its not a good GPU, it deserves criticism, however what Hardware Unboxed did was contrive the review in such a away as to show it in its worst possible light, and then angrily hate on it.
The next review he did was of the RTX 3050, at its price point also not a great option, that review could not be more different, nothing but glowing high praise not just for the card but also Nvidia themselves, he even concluded that this $249 MSRP RTX 3050 is still worth buying at $450. Inevitably it then launched at $450 and lot of people bought them.
More over at the time the RX 6600, a much much better GPU was on the shelves at under $400, didn't even mention it, in recommending the RTX 3050 at $450 he pretended like the RX 6600 didn't even exist.

Thank you very much Steve Walton.
-Jensen Huang

IMO some tech journalists complaining about this situation are deluded hypocrites, they are part of the problem.

Soldato
and it's been reported upper management are not happy with the late release of Alchemist and the poor state of the software and are seriously considering discontinuance for future releases.

I do hope they remember that it took AMD three goes to get Ryzen right and continue to fund their GPUs.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Hardware Unboxed reviewing the RX 6500, its not a good GPU, it deserves criticism, however what Hardware Unboxed did was contrive the review in such a away as to show it in its worst possible light, and then angrily hate on it.
The next review he did was of the RTX 3050, at its price point also not a great option, that review could not be more different, nothing but glowing high praise not just for the card but also Nvidia themselves, he even concluded that this $249 MSRP RTX 3050 is still worth buying at $450. Inevitably it then launched at $450 and lot of people bought them.

This was the point we mentioned the other day and the blinkered poster didn't get it. :cry: In fact they were very generous to nvidia most of this gen chiefly for the fact of ray tracing and both brands were scalped. Now AMD have tumbled down the most suddenly he recommends them the other way and suddenly RT isnt sliced bread. :rolleyes:

Soldato
The problem is its not even a duopoly, it is a monopoly.

People who think Intel are the answer to the problems in this space, IMO, are deluded.

Let me give you an example of why we are in this situation.

More over at the time the RX 6600, a much much better GPU was on the shelves at under $400, didn't even mention it, in recommending the RTX 3050 at $450 he pretended like the RX 6600 didn't even exist.

Thank you very much Steve Walton.
-Jensen Huang

IMO some tech journalists complaining about this situation are deluded hypocrites, they are part of the problem.
Did they really do that? I never watched the 3050 review but I'll have to now. I just can't imagine anyone justifying the price the 3050 launched at.

Last edited:
Soldato
people don't mind paying a premium for NVidia though and they know it

This is the status quo. But also why myself and @humbug notice reviewers like Steve do influence with the narrative, particularly odd when weeks before they fell out with nvidia and rallied around due to their bullying demands. What made it poor advice is regionally the cards prices differed and should have stuck to performance, could have just made a table.

Soldato
Did they really do that? I never watched the 3050 review but I'll have to now. I just can't imagine anyone justifying the price the 3050 launched at.

From memory he suggested firstly dont upgrade if you can. Then he mentioned get a second hand gpu (like rx580). In most of the lower tier geforce stack he basically said for similar price (which was subjective as it depended where you lived) for ray tracing and dlss go with nvidia. I think the only card to break this was the 6600 because I recall the 6700 getting beat by the 3070/3060ti.

Soldato
He went back later, much later and suggested the RX 6600 over the RTX 3050.

That was quite recently, way too late, its what he should have done right from the start.

Exactly, its like we spot the inconsistency yet that fella who interjected watched the past '4 months' of backlog and forgets the releases of this tier go back to March 2021 i.e. 15 months of videos where their opinion was quite easy to read and favoured nvidia at the time. By the time the 3050 came on the scene it was always overpriced, as are some of the 30 series cards still.

Caporegime
Exactly, its like we spot the inconsistency yet that fella who interjected watched the past '4 months' of backlog and forgets the releases of this tier go back to March 2021 i.e. 15 months of videos where their opinion was quite easy to read and favoured nvidia at the time. By the time the 3050 came on the scene it was always overpriced, as are some of the 30 series cards still.

What really stick in my throat about that is he knows most of his viewers are normies, they don't know much about this tuff, not like we do, same goes for all these Youtubers, what normies want to know is "which one do i buy in this confusing world of GPU's????"
They are pushing these people towards cards that are very expensive, far too expensive for what they are and really not much good full stop, the RTX 3050 is better than the RX 6500, but it is not a good card, certainly not for $400+ when the RX 6600 at the same or lower price is a far better card for anyone is only mentioned in fleeting and as tho it isn't an option at all.

People who buy in this segment don't have a lot of money, and low wage people usually work hard for little they have, so i find these people taking money, in whatever backhanded form it comes in from Nvidia, to push products like this on to these people, really disgusting, it is the definition of predatory capitalism.

Soldato
The good news is the entry tier now has normal pricing again. Since price has shifted, you either get the bottom of the barrel and suck it up (which performs worse or has less features than the old cards before it) or you stump up that extra and make sure its an 'upgrade' by getting the 6600. Where we align once more is the AMD products were overlooked months back and now these influencers are recommending Radeon cards as they are better value (which is what we knew all along).

Caporegime
The good news is the entry tier now has normal pricing again. Since price has shifted, you either get the bottom of the barrel and suck it up (which performs worse or has less features than the old cards before it) or you stump up that extra and make sure its an 'upgrade' by getting the 6600. Where we align once more is the AMD products were overlooked months back and now these influencers are recommending Radeon cards as they are better value (which is what we knew all along).

Yeah.

Gigabyte RTX 3050: £360 https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1ez-gi.html
Gigabyte RX 6600: £300 https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1et-gi.html

The latter is 25% faster
Its closer to the RTX 3060 than the RTX 3050.

JXaf7K5.png

Soldato
You also had mixed shenanigans going on like the 3060 had 12GB vram, more than tiers above it. But for me these entry cards having features like ray tracing give a false sense of 'extras' because you may have an outlier that it works well on but the main demanding games will struggle unless you bring in the compromises. With that in mind you can see the 6600 as you explained is the superior card for less money. This even with experienced and bright folk on here can still be overlooked with fog like mindshare or brand loyalty.

Caporegime
Oh this old trope, yawn. I always know when sopmeone is clutching at straws and their Nvidia pearls, when they're reduced to talking about the drivers myth.

You know which people have continual problems with drivers? - Idiots.
you know which company provides the most game ready drivers with DLSS implemented etc?

no one is talking about people having issues with drivers...... apart from AMD users anyway

Back
Top Bottom