• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Arc series unveiled with the Alchemist dGPU to arrive in Q1 2022

Associate
If they go ahead with the launch, one thing they could do is completely open source the driver (Windows and Linux), get the hive mind to help them fix it.

They have a pr disaster on their hands right now and opening it up might a. generate some good will, b. possibly yield some results.

Historically intel have been pretty good about open source so it's not wildly unreasonable.

Soldato
If they go ahead with the launch, one thing they could do is completely open source the driver (Windows and Linux), get the hive mind to help them fix it.

They have a pr disaster on their hands right now and opening it up might a. generate some good will, b. possibly yield some results.

Historically intel have been pretty good about open source so it's not wildly unreasonable.
Please, I hope they release soon, I'm waiting with bated breath. I need a good laugh. Good suggestion on open source though, I think Intel should listen given the huge problems they are having. This approach certainly helped AMD on Linux and now they have the best, most compatible driver on that platform.

Soldato
Those driver releases............no wonder there are rumours that Pat Gelsinger flipped his lid and questioned Arc's future. Why they released a driver with all those broken features is beyond me, they could have disabled them and left the showing in the driver panel as a placeholder and turn it on once it was working. The underlying drivers seems to work pretty well in terms of delivering game performance, if they had just given that and said the rest of the feature set would come in due course I think most people would have been ok with that approach.

Soldato
Now, the ironic part is... Wasn't Raja plauded as "the software guy"?
I only discovered this recently (I always assumed he was hardware), to be fair Radeon Software under his tenure was great both in looks and functionality. I prefer it to the current iteration which I feel is too convoluted.

Soldato
Those driver releases............no wonder there are rumours that Pat Gelsinger flipped his lid and questioned Arc's future. Why they released a driver with all those broken features is beyond me, they could have disabled them and left the showing in the driver panel as a placeholder and turn it on once it was working. The underlying drivers seems to work pretty well in terms of delivering game performance, if they had just given that and said the rest of the feature set would come in due course I think most people would have been ok with that approach.
This is worrying, 'austerity' is mentioned multiple times and Pat does not look happy:

Caporegime

Because Intel know just having a competitive GPU isn't anything like good enough, Nvidia and AMD have spent the last decade locked in a war of features and its those features that ultimately sell the GPU, Nvidia are winning that.... how many times have you read here that Nvidia's GPU's are worth more because RT and DLSS?

What Intel understand is unless they can compete with features their $150 GPU's might as well be paperweights, again... its tech journalists who did that.

Caporegime
This is worrying, 'austerity' is mentioned multiple times and Pat does not look happy:

He doesn't just look unhappy, he looks like he can barley keep himself upright

Intel are at an impasse, they don't have the luxury anymore of being the technology worlds default option, they are under attack from every angle, and so are AMD, being the only other legacy X86 provider but rather than it also effecting them negatively AMD are also on the side that are chewing Intel's arse out, Intel are now at the point where they are literally giving their Xeon's away for cost to stop AMD from eating their entire lunch, it really is that bad and getting ever worse.

If Intel don't get their poo together in the next few short years they are going to need another $52 Billion handout to bail their entire company out.

Caporegime
You also have other companies like ARM who maybe in different segments but as you say are eating into the spaces over time. Companies cannot rest on their laurels and the whole old fashioned roadmap where they milked the improvements every year for 10% gains are thankfully at an end!

Yeah, ARM are a real threat to both of them.

Back
Top Bottom