• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Arc series unveiled with the Alchemist dGPU to arrive in Q1 2022

Associate
Alternatively, as the guy says, it's the first shot at it and it'll get better. Even more reason to wait?
You could fall into the trap of always waiting for the next gen because it'll be better.

I'm not sure many people would buy a second gpu for video encoding, Eposvox says that the quicksync encoder is better than nvenc at h264 currently and yet the people who use quicksync for streaming is low compared to nvenc. So those people who would want AV1 encoding would probably just wait for amd/nvidia to do it and they'll buy a new card.

I thought it might be useful in a plex server, but I read today that plex doesn't support av1 direct streaming, however jellyfin and emby supposedly do.

Caporegime
You could fall into the trap of always waiting for the next gen because it'll be better.

I'm not sure many people would buy a second gpu for video encoding, Eposvox says that the quicksync encoder is better than nvenc at h264 currently and yet the people who use quicksync for streaming is low compared to nvenc. So those people who would want AV1 encoding would probably just wait for amd/nvidia to do it and they'll buy a new card.

I thought it might be useful in a plex server, but I read today that plex doesn't support av1 direct streaming, however jellyfin and emby supposedly do.
the intels codec is twice as good though not just a bit better

Associate
the intels codec is twice as good though not just a bit better
I don't know how the scale works on the quality, i assume it's linear. But it's quality is slightly worse at 3.5Mbps than nvenc is at 6000Mbps, and quicksync was better still with the exception of one test. Though even that is pretty close. As you increase bitrate, the gap closes. And AFAIK streaming isn't taking advantage of AV1 currently - the main benefit of AV1 that was pointed out. Surely they'd just wait until the 4000 series is out. If that doesn't support it then I could kinda understand getting one, but otherwise not really.

My main point was why would people suddenly decide to faff about with a 2nd gpu when they can be bothered currently to choose the better option.

Caporegime
I don't know how the scale works on the quality, i assume it's linear. But it's quality is slightly worse at 3.5Mbps than nvenc is at 6000Mbps, and quicksync was better still with the exception of one test. Though even that is pretty close. As you increase bitrate, the gap closes. And AFAIK streaming isn't taking advantage of AV1 currently - the main benefit of AV1 that was pointed out. Surely they'd just wait until the 4000 series is out. If that doesn't support it then I could kinda understand getting one, but otherwise not really.

My main point was why would people suddenly decide to faff about with a 2nd gpu when they can be bothered currently to choose the better option.
your needing almost half as much bandwidth on your upload for the same quality that's why

Associate
your needing almost half as much bandwidth on your upload for the same quality that's why
You can't stream in AV1 currently, so you can't take advantage of that. It'd probably fall back to roughly the quicksync results as you'd have to use h264

Associate
You may have missed the small print:

Ingestion ProtocolEncryptedVideo Codecs SupportedComment
RTMPNoH.264Suitable for normal, low or ultra-low latency live streaming.
RTMPSYesH.264Suitable for normal, low or ultra-low latency live streaming.
HLSYesH.264, H.265 (HEVC)Better for 4K resolution because of HEVC support. Supports HDR. Not suitable for ultra-low latency.
DASHYesH.264, VP9Better for 4K resolution because of VP9 support. Not suitable for ultra-low latency.

Hasn't been updated for a bit, I suppose they could have added it without updating anything but I see nothing online suggesting AV1 livestreaming is possible.

Soldato
Dont know about quicksync, but nvenc despite its big boost in recent gens is still low efficiency, files encoded with nvenc to get similar quality to x264 software encoding are about 2-3 times as big in OBSS, but using a plugin and some help of someone else I got it down to about 1.3x with heavy tuning at 30fps, however even with that its still terrible at 60fps encoding.

You can get good quality with nvenc at low resource usage for sure, but the files are massive.

Associate
Dont know about quicksync, but nvenc despite its big boost in recent gens is still low efficiency, files encoded with nvenc to get similar quality to x264 software encoding are about 2-3 times as big in OBSS, but using a plugin and some help of someone else I got it down to about 1.3x with heavy tuning at 30fps, however even with that its still terrible at 60fps encoding.

You can get good quality with nvenc at low resource usage for sure, but the files are massive.
If you're locally storing it and not live streaming i would have thought you'd be better off using hevc. But yea GPU encoding isn't good for size - I'd love to know the reason why!
Quicksync will be similar, though if the video is correct and it's generally better quality than nvenc currently, then you could lower bitrate to save space.

Soldato
If you're locally storing it and not live streaming i would have thought you'd be better off using hevc. But yea GPU encoding isn't good for size - I'd love to know the reason why!
Quicksync will be similar, though if the video is correct and it's generally better quality than nvenc currently, then you could lower bitrate to save space.
Yep I mostly use OBSS for recording., very rarely stream. Given the cost of electric I dont cpu encode anymore, and OBSS out the box doesnt support hevc, although the addon I recently added has limited hevc support.

I actually plan to upload my videos to a server, reencode using the datacentre electric and then download again once I get FTTP. :p

Soldato
Alternatively, as the guy says, it's the first shot at it and it'll get better. Even more reason to wait?

The problem is their next series is also already baked and has the same scheduler issue, so they either have to go through 2 generations at a massive disadvantage, re-tool their 2nd gen chip and delay it even further, or as the rumours suggest they may just ditch GPU's entirely, again.
yea sure seems like they are scrapping the whole project :rolleyes:
That is not at all unusual behaviour for intel, they always do push and push the marketing for a product right up until it's publicly cancelled, even if that decision must have already been made behind doors a while ago.

Associate
Yep I mostly use OBSS for recording., very rarely stream. Given the cost of electric I dont cpu encode anymore, and OBSS out the box doesnt support hevc, although the addon I recently added has limited hevc support.

I actually plan to upload my videos to a server, reencode using the datacentre electric and then download again once I get FTTP. :p
I didn't know OBSS didn't support HEVC by default, seems like a bit of an oversite. The few times I've recorded stuff, I'll do it at a high enough bitrate with the GPU so it looks ok, then transcode it with handbrake when I can be bothered.

Back
Top Bottom