• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel back Free Sync and Vulkan, G-Sync meeting its deserved end.

Associate
Crap degree then :p. Most things in life you get what you pay for. Only a person of limited budget would disagree and that probably goes for your tutor.
Not saying ALL things however, there are always exceptions.
I'm old enough and lucky enough to have enjoyed different lives, coming from a working class background but then later able to afford what I wanted. I'd always pay extra as the chances are the product will be better. I believe I see past the marketing too, I don't even like stuff that's pumped on the TV for example.
As I said, there are exceptions to the rule but they're not that common.
One of the benefits to G-sync is the consistent implementation,this is not the case with freesync. G-sync should be the open standard, really, IMO. Pity the companies don't just agree with this and take it forward, even if NV are paid a royalty.

"Most things in life you get what you pay for" needs a citation. It's certainly not as axiomatic as "A fool and his money are easily parted" LOL. The local council estate here is full of Mercs, bought by people who presumably don't read JD Power surveys. [Disclosure: my stepson is a long time mechanic at an MB dealership and whilst he has one (company car) he doesn't rate it, nor does he recommend the brand].

As for: "Only a person of limited budget would disagree and that probably goes for your tutor." Again, no way of knowing that so it's obviously a fallacious statement...

Gucci bags that cost 100x as much as a normal one don't do the job any better. People spending more than necessary on 'branded' products often do it for a more banal reason: it makes them feel better about themselves and their social standing. If that's important to you (and it is for many people, especially those who see themselves clambering above their poorer brethren) then it's money well spent. An ego massage is probably as good for you as a physical one after all :)

PS If G-Sync was 'consistent' it would be utilised properly on laptops. Luckily G-sync will never be an open standard. If you knew NV at all, then you'd know that at least...

Soldato
Does this mean that those of us who have Intel CPUs with an iGPU plus a discrete Nvidia card will soon be able to connect a Freesync monitor to the iGPU and use the Nvidia card to accelerate it? Sounds good :)

And because it was free/open, that's where DM's idea for the name came from.

It was Drunkenmaster who came up with it and asked one of the AMD fans to let them know about it, Matt passed it on to Roy/Thracks/etc and AMD liked it so went for it, Matt ended up working for AMD and DM ended up.... getting nothing lol.
Still one of the coolest things to happen on this forum :D

Wait, you're drunkenmaster and TheRealDeal? I never realised that, why do you use two accounts at the same time? Hell I'm sure I've seen you arguing with yourself before now lol.

I already proved it was me who came out with it as a joke. I even posted it up plenty of times over the years. Matt then posted it on twitter to AMD. I ain't DM though. I wouldn't have the patience to write those essays.

Here is the post that was meant as a joke with Matt straight under me replying.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...g-sync-monitor.18564650/page-14#post-25502257

Last edited:
Soldato
Does this mean that those of us who have Intel CPUs with an iGPU plus a discrete Nvidia card will soon be able to connect a Freesync monitor to the iGPU and use the Nvidia card to accelerate it? Sounds good :)

We know Intel is talking about upcoming GPUs, we have no idea about current IGPs

It was Drunkenmaster who came up with it and asked one of the AMD fans to let them know about it, Matt passed it on to Roy/Thracks/etc and AMD liked it so went for it, Matt ended up working for AMD and DM ended up.... getting nothing lol.

@LtMatt hmm...... these are pretty serious allegations here :D

Soldato
We know Intel is talking about upcoming GPUs, we have no idea about current IGPs
Another thing I only just realised, Intel entering the discrete GPU market means that Nvidia are going to finally have to stop blocking the use of PhysX when an AMD card is the main GPU, because they can't block Intel as well and if they don't allow AMD then AMD will have grounds for an unfair practices lawsuit :D

@LtMatt hmm...... these are pretty serious allegations here :D

Yup, DM invented the FreeSync name, Matt became AMD_Matt and DM got nothing but happy thoughts! ;P

ltm.png

Caporegime
giphy.gif

Jokes aside, i had nothing to do with AMD using the term FreeSync as far as i recall.

Soldato
Another thing I only just realised, Intel entering the discrete GPU market means that Nvidia are going to finally have to stop blocking the use of PhysX when an AMD card is the main GPU, because they can't block Intel as well and if they don't allow AMD then AMD will have grounds for an unfair practices lawsuit :D

Yup, DM invented the FreeSync name, Matt became AMD_Matt and DM got nothing but happy thoughts! ;P

ltm.png

DM got it from my joke post though as you can see he even spelt it the same lol. I bet that DM post is dated after mine. Any how if i can joke about that being a good name those that get plenty can surely think it up.

Back
Top Bottom