• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel back Free Sync and Vulkan, G-Sync meeting its deserved end.

Soldato
Exactly the same differences exist with G-Sync as they do with Free-Sync. you know as much about what you are getting with G-Sync as you do Free-Sync.

Thats the entire reason why FreeSync 2 exists! To standardised the technology. (although where is it?)

Every Gsync monitor does the same thing. (HDR I see as something separate)

With FreeSync, you need to check for example what is the range at which it is synching the fps? Different monitors have different ranges. Does it support LFC etc...?

With Gsync you know its 30 - maxrefreshrateofmonitor and everything else included.

It's the Ronseal of refresh rate technologies. It does what it says on the tin.

AMD need to get FreeSync 2 out the door and standardise the technology so consumers know what their getting.

Caporegime
OP
You dont tho. Every Gsync monitor does the same thing. (HDR I see as something separate)

With FreeSync, you need to check for example what is the range at which it is synching the fps? Different monitors have different ranges. Does it support LFC etc...?

With Gsync you know its 30 - maxrefreshrateofmonitor and everything else included.

Its not separate, not when nVidia need to include actively cooled $500 chips on their $200 G-Sync modules its very much is not a separate thing, there is only one vendor of G-Sync HDR screen that i know of and its cheapest of 2 is £2000, there are sevral Free-Sync HDR screens and plenty more in the pipeline, including TV's.

However i will agree that AMD do need to step in and standardise Free-Sync to vendors to enforce things like FPS ranges. however i don't think the fact that you don't need to spend 3 minutes checking what the range on G-Sync screens is worth an extra £200 on top of the cost of the screen, or £700 if you can find an HDR one.

Caporegime
The FreeSync screens with HDR can't use the HDR with freezing that is why FreeSync 2 is needed. There is no timeline given for when FreeSync 2 will be available.

i believe both Acer and Asus have 4k 144HZ HDR screens

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I waited ages for Freesync 2, well over a year as I recall. In the end I gave up and went G-Sync once I saw a great offer. I have had it for about a year now. No regrets either to be honest. Lovely 4K monitor once I calibrate it :D

At the rate it is taking gaming OLED to come to monitors, it will last me at least another 2-3 years. I thought OLED on gaming monitors would be here by now. That Dell OLED looks so good, IQ is on another level imo.

Soldato
Most people believe that G-sync monitors are superior in general anyway so Nvidia should try to support adaptive sync while still keeping the premium image of G-sync intact, unless there is a reason not to do so.

Mind share is everything and Nvidia has it in spades. That may be one of the reasons that they haven't supported an open standard yet.

They may do so once they lose market share but I doubt that happening anytime soon regardless of Intel or anyone else joining the party.

Do they really?

Yes because if something is more expensive it is always better, right? I did my first degree in marketing and I thought this had been globally debunked decades ago. Yet here it is, in the year 2018 and people still believe it! Marketing works! Absolutely astonishing. I'm going to email my old lecturer, he was right: there will always be a market for stupidity. Nvidia is laughing all the way to the Bank because of myths like this. Can't blame them for that, I suppose.

Do you really really believe that? Or did you just spend too much on a G-sync monitor and are trying to justify it? Seriously?

Associate
Do they really?

Yes because if something is more expensive it is always better, right? I did my first degree in marketing and I thought this had been globally debunked decades ago. Yet here it is, in the year 2018 and people still believe it! Marketing works! Absolutely astonishing. I'm going to email my old lecturer, he was right: there will always be a market for stupidity. Nvidia is laughing all the way to the Bank because of myths like this. Can't blame them for that, I suppose.

Do you really really believe that? Or did you just spend too much on a G-sync monitor and are trying to justify it? Seriously?
Why have you quoted me twice? Do you need my attention?

It's my opinion that they do as Nvidia have the mind share when it comes to gpus even though I reckon that AMD usually bring out newer tech first.

I am using a Vega gpu and a Samsung Freesync monitor at the moment so what are you on about with the justification statement?

I know it can get a bit boring around here at times but come on.

Soldato
Do they really?

Crap degree then :p. Most things in life you get what you pay for. Only a person of limited budget would disagree and that probably goes for your tutor.
Not saying ALL things however, there are always exceptions.
I'm old enough and lucky enough to have enjoyed different lives, coming from a working class background but then later able to afford what I wanted. I'd always pay extra as the chances are the product will be better. I believe I see past the marketing too, I don't even like stuff that's pumped on the TV for example.
As I said, there are exceptions to the rule but they're not that common.
One of the benefits to G-sync is the consistent implementation,this is not the case with freesync. G-sync should be the open standard, really, IMO. Pity the companies don't just agree with this and take it forward, even if NV are paid a royalty.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I looked at reviews (ish) of the Acer 4K predator and got to be honest, not overly impressed. An OLED 3440x1440 with 144Hz refresh would certainly peak my interest though.
Yeah, the current G-Sync HDR stuff are nothing special. OLED is where it is at. I will not upgrade unless we get OLED 4K 120Hz HDR Freesync 2 personally, as I do not think there is anything out there that is noticeably better than what I have in terms of IQ on a 4K gaming monitor, not at a reasonable price anyways.

Soldato
Happy with gsync here and couldn't go without it now, games with the mouse in particular just feel a mess without it. Oled 4k hdr with high hz will also be my next upgrade, but that's years away.

Soldato
Happy with gsync here and couldn't go without it now, games with the mouse in particular just feel a mess without it. Oled 4k hdr with high hz will also be my next upgrade, but that's years away.
I absolutely hate gsync/freesync if the fps goes below 60ish. The image persistence makes the experience extremely poor in my view. Variable refresh rate certainly has its benefits but to me at least it seems some games gain more from it than others. Im happy playing overwatch at near cap fps without gsync/freesync, i actually prefer it.

Soldato
I absolutely hate gsync/freesync if the fps goes below 60ish. The image persistence makes the experience extremely poor in my view. Variable refresh rate certainly has its benefits but to me at least it seems some games gain more from it than others. Im happy playing overwatch at near cap fps without gsync/freesync, i actually prefer it.

Nasty screen tear without. I just cap to 120. Games like that don't take a huge amount to stay well over 60fps even at 1440p.

Soldato
Nasty screen tear without. I just cap to 120. Games like that don't take a huge amount to stay well over 60fps even at 1440p.
You would be surprised how many games that should have a small footprint on performance actually end up being neigh impossible to keep constant above 60 fps, even on a 1080ti @ 1440p. Yeah sure they are poorly optimized in most cases but the gameplay might still warrant a playthrough. In the end though we as user's have different things we are being sensitive towards. Me personally i hate image persistence, as it ***** with my eyes big time, while other people aren't bothered by it the slightest. Tearing to me is not a big deal once frame rate is high enough and/or refresh is high enough as the tears are tiny by then.

Soldato
. Tearing to me is not a big deal once frame rate is high enough and/or refresh is high enough as the tears are tiny by then.

Yeah I run overwatch vsync off at around 200fps and I don't see any screen tearing on 60hz screen. It's so much nicer to play at high framerate without the input lag.

Looking forward to replacing mine with a freesync hdr 4k samsung QLED tv but will probably wait until next year for HDMI 2.1 as it adds a few features I want like eARC and the bandwidth for 120hz 4k.

Associate
4k with freesync and a GPU that can actually keep it above 60fps would be nice.
I'll check back in 2 years for that.

Soldato
Now Intel are wading in also backing Free-Sync.
Does this mean that those of us who have Intel CPUs with an iGPU plus a discrete Nvidia card will soon be able to connect a Freesync monitor to the iGPU and use the Nvidia card to accelerate it? Sounds good :)

That wasn't why it was called Freesync. It was called Freesync mainly because unlike GSYNC it adds no extra cost to the monitor.
And because it was free/open, that's where DM's idea for the name came from.

I thought AMDmatt used the Freesync name first?
It was Drunkenmaster who came up with it and asked one of the AMD fans to let them know about it, Matt passed it on to Roy/Thracks/etc and AMD liked it so went for it, Matt ended up working for AMD and DM ended up.... getting nothing lol.
Still one of the coolest things to happen on this forum :D

Matt posted below me and thought it was funny. Matt then went on to post it to AMD on twitter
Wait, you're drunkenmaster and TheRealDeal? I never realised that, why do you use two accounts at the same time? Hell I'm sure I've seen you arguing with yourself before now lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom