• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel back Free Sync and Vulkan, G-Sync meeting its deserved end.

bru

bru

Soldato
I would love to know the thoughts of the AMD bosses over the name FreeSync, now that it is moving to HDMI which unlike DisplayPort has a license fee and royalties, so it is anything but free.

Of course saying that, both AMD and NVidia already pay the fees, for HDMI 2.0 anyway, but it was the no fees on DisplayPort that helped give FreeSync its name.

Soldato
I would love to know the thoughts of the AMD bosses over the name FreeSync, now that it is moving to HDMI which unlike DisplayPort has a license fee and royalties, so it is anything but free.

Of course saying that, both AMD and NVidia already pay the fees, for HDMI 2.0 anyway, but it was the no fees on DisplayPort that helped give FreeSync its name.

That wasn't why it was called Freesync. It was called Freesync mainly because unlike GSYNC it adds no extra cost to the monitor. Nothing has changed here as it's still free especially compared to GSYNC.

Soldato
That wasn't why it was called Freesync. It was called Freesync mainly because unlike GSYNC it adds no extra cost to the monitor. Nothing has changed here as it's still free especially compared to GSYNC.
If I'm right it adds no cost to the manufacturer, if it adds cost to us is up to the manufacturer. Do they want to charge extra for an extra feature?
Without 2 (or more) monitors where the only difference is freesync, it's hard to know if we're paying anything extra to get it.

bru

bru

Soldato

Well according to AMD's own FAQ on their FreeSync page HERE

How is Radeon™ FreeSync technology different from NVIDIA G-Sync?
There are three key advantages Radeon™ FreeSync technology holds over G-Sync: no licensing fees to monitor OEMs for adoption, no expensive or proprietary hardware modules, and no communication overhead.

Maybe it's not why they called it FreeSync, but I certainly thought it was and so does the internet.

People also ask

What does FreeSync mean?
FreeSync is the brand name for an adaptive synchronization technology for LCD displays that support a dynamic refresh rate aimed at reducing tearing and stuttering caused by misalignment with content's frame rate. FreeSync is royalty-free, free to use, and has no performance penalty.

Anyway with the move to HDMI their is now royalties involved, even though AMD were already paying them. I just wondered if it would change their thoughts on the name, although by now it is probably too late to actually change it.

Soldato
Well according to AMD's own FAQ on their FreeSync page HERE

Maybe it's not why they called it FreeSync, but I certainly thought it was and so does the internet.

Anyway with the move to HDMI their is now royalties involved, even though AMD were already paying them. I just wondered if it would change their thoughts on the name, although by now it is probably too late to actually change it.

So what you are saying is AMD never called it Freesync as a dig at Nvidia's Gsync :D:D:D:D:D. It's obvious why they decided to call it Freesync. Even before they called it Freesync, i said on here for a laugh they should call it Freesync and to my surprise they did because it made obvious sense to do so. It's not like Freesync is a cool name or anything like that. The Free part of the name is as blatant as you like aimed at the cost's of Gsync.

Check the second post down and you will see i thought it would be funny if they called it Freesync before AMD announced they would be calling it that, although i had it as Free-sync.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...g-sync-monitor.18564650/page-14#post-25502257

If I'm right it adds no cost to the manufacturer, if it adds cost to us is up to the manufacturer. Do they want to charge extra for an extra feature?
Without 2 (or more) monitors where the only difference is freesync, it's hard to know if we're paying anything extra to get it.

Yea that's fair enough and we probably won't know as it won't be to long now that most monitors are VRR/Freesync if they ain't Gsync.

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
So what you are saying is AMD never called it Freesync as a dig at Nvidia's Gsync :D:D:D:D:D. It's obvious why they decided to call it Freesync. Even before they called it Freesync, i said on here for a laugh they should call it Freesync and to my surprise they did because it made obvious sense to do so. It's not like Freesync is a cool name or anything like that. The Free part of the name is as blatant as you like aimed at the cost's of Gsync.

Check the second post down and you will see i thought it would be funny if they called it Freesync before AMD announced they would be calling it that, although i had it as Free-sync.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...g-sync-monitor.18564650/page-14#post-25502257

Yea that's fair enough and we probably won't know as it won't be to long now that most monitors are VRR/Freesync if they ain't Gsync.

I never said that at all.:(

And seeing as your seemingly psychic can I have next weeks lottery number please.;)

Soldato
I never said that at all.:(

And seeing as your seemingly psychic can I have next weeks lottery number please.;)

I wish i was psychic but unfortunately my sense of humor was what lead me to Freesync with most likely some beer on top. Just thought it would be funny as at the time G-Sync arrived it was costing a bomb and everyone in the know was saying it could literally be done without the module and extra costs.

Caporegime

No, it was called Freesync because it does not have a license cost.
There is an additional cost for the monitors, through firmware and a variable rate scaler hardware.

Caporegime
OP

Free Sync is a daft name, i really wish they had come up with something more imaginative, but, and i think this is where AMD's reasoning for the name comes in, Free Sync is not about licencing fee's they pay for display connectivity, its about the $200 modules nVidia make screen vendors and ultimately you pay, in that screen vendors pay $200 to nVidia for G-Sync while Free-Sync costs them 0, its "Free"

bru

bru

Soldato
Free Sync is a daft name, i really wish they had come up with something more imaginative, but, and i think this is where AMD's reasoning for the name comes in, Free Sync is not about licencing fee's they pay for display connectivity, its about the $200 modules nVidia make screen vendors and ultimately you pay, in that screen vendors pay $200 to nVidia for G-Sync while Free-Sync costs them 0, its "Free"

Very true, I bet they wracked their brains for what to call it and I'm very surprised that FreeSync was what they ended up with.

As for all the other stuff in the thread, both systems now work very well and you cant really argue against FreeSync monitors being cheaper. I don't think you can go wrong with either system.

Soldato

I thought AMDmatt used the Freesync name first?

Associate
No was me. As you can see Matt posted below me and thought it was funny. Matt then went on to post it to AMD on twitter with a slight difference as he put Freesync where as i put Free-sync.

Nah it was definitely Real Deal who coined the idea of naming the tech Free, just a split second after he had disregarded the idea of calling it Kitchen.
:p

Soldato
Nah it was definitely Real Deal who coined the idea of naming the tech Free, just a split second after he had disregarded the idea of calling it Kitchen.

:p

Lol AMD may have already decided on Freesync but was just funny that i said it and it happened, Matt himself did post it to them on twitter so you never know freesync may have came from this forum having a laugh about it.

Caporegime
G-Sync allows NVidia to maintain control over quality so even if they decide to jump on the Freesync bandwagon it doesn't mean that G-Sync has nothing to offer.

The problem AMD might have with Freesync is that people could buy a rubbish quality monitor with Freesync poorly implemented and blame their AMD GPU for it, then of course you'll have people on here claiming that AMD have never done anything to warrant a bad reputation and the image of NVidia being a high quality brand is undeserved and imaginary.

Intel aren't in the high end GPU market so their £700 products aren't going to fall victim to cheap monitors.

Last edited:
Soldato
Gsync's major advantage is the clarity of the technology.

When a monitors Gsync capable you know what your getting. With FreeSync you don't.

The FreeSync implementation differs form manufacturer to manufacturer and even from product to product.

What happened to the promise of Freesync 2?

Caporegime
OP
Gsync's major advantage is the clarity of the technology.

When a monitors Gsync capable you know what your getting. With FreeSync you don't.

The FreeSync implementation differs form manufacturer to manufacturer and even from product to product.

What happened to the promise of Freesync 2?

Exactly the same differences exist with G-Sync as they do with Free-Sync. you know as much about what you are getting with G-Sync as you do Free-Sync.

What about Free-Sync 2? it includes HDR, there are lots of them, unlike on the G-Sync side.

Back
Top Bottom