• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel bug incoming? Meltdown and Spectre exploits

Soldato
Well I've now got KB4056892 installed from WU but sadly no BIOS update for my motherboard since May 2017 :( Guessing Haswell-E won't get one?
If I understood correctly, Intel claim they'll have microcode updates for CPUs made in the last 5 years by the end of next week. If/when they make those publicly available you can install them yourself (links were provided earlier in the thread and can be found easily on Google). I think pre-Haswell is where they probably won't bother but you might be in luck.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
So for the system in my signature, do I need to do anything else other than let Windows 10 apply updates to be secure (I doubt GB will issue a bios update for my aging mobo) ??

I'm reading this on my 3570k PC. Nothing we can do. Apply your windows patches and keep software (especially browsers) uptodate.

Apply BIOS if it became available.

I'm not holding my breath for my Z77 board. The last BIOS was in 2014 and the one before 2012.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm not sure a BIOS update can fix these problems. It's hardware. CPUs are really complex things. Unforeseen consequences and all that. I'd imagine all affected CPU manufactures won't want to release any future product thats come with a serious security design flaw. It's implications are massive.

To quote Anandtech:
as the authors of the Spectre paper note, Spectre is a more fundamental vulnerability that will be with us a lot longer. Just what it means for system security remains to be seen, but from a computer science point of view, I expect these latest discoveries are going to have a big impact on how future CPUs are designed.

V F

V F

Soldato
I'm not sure a BIOS update can fix these problems. It's hardware. CPUs are really complex things. Unforeseen consequences and all that. I'd imagine all affected CPU manufactures won't want to release any future product thats come with a serious security design flaw. It's implications are massive.

To quote Anandtech:

So why pretend to try to fix something with a dodgy bandaid that is being proven and untested that breaks even more stuff.

Associate
I'm reading this on my 3570k PC. Nothing we can do. Apply your windows patches and keep software (especially browsers) uptodate.

Apply BIOS if it became available.

I'm not holding my breath for my Z77 board. The last BIOS was in 2014 and the one before 2012.

Worry times indeed, its a lot more serious than i first though. For some one who was going to upgrade this year and was toying with the idea of possibly giving Ryzen a go, this has made that 'idea' more a less a foregone conclusion now unless something drastic happens!!

Soldato
OP
Is this something I needto worry about or is it another heartbleed (ie. everyone panics, front page news, affects maybe 1% of the population)?

Hate to say it but it probably effects 90% of the pop. If you have received and applied the various updates from Microsoft(if applicable) + bios update(if applicable) you should be fine.

This is based on you having a Intell CPU that is.

Soldato
Asus have made an announcement regarding BIOS updates for a number of their boards. The list of board which are going to get that update is here.....

https://www.asus.com/News/V5urzYAT6myCC1o2?_ga=2.109660237.958891166.1515068667-676642648.1512981630

My SABERTOOTH Z170 S with updated BIOS 3703 is noted, but the BIOS has yet to be released.

Not sure if that list is final or complete but at least it indicates that the ones noted should get a BIOS update soon.

Looks like Asus won't be bothering with Z87 or anything Haswell.

Soldato
Looks like Asus won't be bothering with Z87 or anything Haswell.

Or even the Broadwell, if that list is considered complete and not the start of what they intend to support. Skylake seems to be the oldest generation supported...?

EDIT: Apart from the X99 noted at the end of the list.

Hopefully that list might represent their first "wave" of BIOS updates and older generation chipset support might still be incoming,

Last edited:
Soldato
Been trying for days but this update refuses to take. any idea why?

euweDTQ.png

What antivirus are you running.

I know there is still some confusion and incompatibility with some third party antivirus vendors.

Here is the post I made on this earlier:

Some more info here on third party antivirus and compatibility with these patches.

Back
Top Bottom