• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel bug incoming? Meltdown and Spectre exploits

Soldato
Yet again. That tool is talking about a completely different bug from last year. This thread is about two completely different bugs. If the UEFI / BIOS patch for your motherboard wasn't released in the last 3 to 4 days then it won't patch the bugs talked about in this thread.
You're right, the BIOS update didn't resolve that bug. Now I need to look into how to update Intel Management Engine.

Soldato
I'm not too concerned to be honest with my 3570k system.

Windows 10 patches applied. Firefox update applied.

There wont be any BIOS updates for my Z77 board so not much else to do really.

Sue Intel? :p

Last edited:
Associate
0eda16de8ed9769ca413bdc853090607c17ad8208066036ecc94fb49b9fccad7.jpg
Spectre / Meltdown

Last edited:
Associate
There already was to be fair. People seem to forget that Spectre (the one that needs a microcode update and not just an OS update) is a vulnerability found on basically everything (Intel, Arm and AMD).

That's the AMD PSP (equivalent to Intel's ME) problem, not Spectre though. Spectre indeed affects CPUs across Intel, AMD, Arm and Qualcomm, but it's more complicated as to what fix is needed for what.

Soldato
Intel states that its next batch of security updates to its processors will grant them immunity to the exploits.

http://www.techradar.com/news/intel...own-and-spectre-after-latest-security-updates
By Intel’s measure, more than 90% of devices running on Intel hardware will be immune to the flaws by the end of next week.
That is so absurd it's unreal. Nowhere near 90% of devices will even have the Microsoft and/or Linux patches by the end of next week, let alone any microcode updates.

Man of Honour
That is so absurd it's unreal. Nowhere near 90% of devices will even have the Microsoft and/or Linux patches by the end of next week, let alone any microcode updates.

MS's updates for it seem to be causing no end of problems as well so a lot of people will probably end up running without them :s

On the plus side that seems to have increased the awareness and number of people posting about how **** Windows update is in 10 on the MS forums.

Associate
I though the point of PR was at worst to twist the truth a little, not to outright lie.
Mind you, TechRadar seems to have misquoted that, as the Intel press release says:
By the end of next week, Intel expects to have issued updates for more than 90 percent of processor products introduced within the past five years.

That's still a totally ridiculously optimistic timeframe (or outright lie), but at least they don't mention the word immune in that paragraph.

But maybe what they mean to say is that due some IME or NSA backdoor, all connected Intel CPUs will automatically get the microcode update!

Even where they have the microcode updates they are unlikely to have tested them much but 90% of Intel's CPU sales of the last five years is a lot of beta testers!

Caporegime
Im still non the ******* wiser here, my 5930K, has on the box at the top, Desktop, the 5960X, has Extreme on the box at the top instead (as just been looking it up), so 5960X, is an X-series, yet my 5930K, is also listed as part of the X-series family, along with the 5820K.

What in the actual ****, surely its a 'K' series, and not the X-series, Extreme, otherwise it would have said on the bloody box Extreme, like the 5960X, instead of just sodding Desktop! :confused:

Back
Top Bottom